Thread: Trivex SV Transitions Crazing + some other questions

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Confused Trivex SV Transitions Crazing + some other questions

Ok, so got my Digital HD SV Trivex Transitions Brown back. They have crazing on them. Ugh.

After researching, it seems Trivex and Transitions don't mix. Anyone hear about this? I heard it was only with Hoya Phoenix, however the blanks I used were supposedly either Younger or SOMO trivex trans brown blanks.

So with this said, I'm going to need to go with another lens, because I'm only going to get another shot at it and i'm scared it's going to craze again.

I can't seem to find 160 Trans Brown in SV, so I'm going to have to go with either Poly or 167. What do you guys think?

I was really wanting the trivex for BOTH the high ABBE quality and the Impact resistance. Now I'm going to have to choose between Poly or 167. Should I go with the impact resistance of Poly or the slightly better ABBE of 167? Will I really see a difference in optical quality?

My RX is

OD -325 Sphere
    OS -350 +75 90

What do you guys think? I don't really need the impact resistance but I wanted it just in case anything did ever happen. And I am very sensitive to sharpness because I have trained eyes (I'm a professional photographer) so I need the highest quality period.

Also should I stay with a digital freeform SV lens? Or with my RX would a standard SV lens be enough? I only ask because I never got an OC height so I just took my frame B dimension (25) and cut it in half (12) and used 12 as the OC height.

Price not a factor at all here.

Thanks pros!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Also,

The Transitions also got to about 30% dark under UV light, don't know if that's normal or not for Trivex.

And one other question maybe from a DR or two on here, out of the left eye with my astigmatism it was still a little blurry even with a new Rx from my eye doc last week, can I just change my RX to -3.75 +75 x90 from -3.50 +74 x90 on that one for more power, or do I have to go back to the doctor.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go with the Hi 1.67 in a standard non-Digital/FreeForm (FF) lens. If you can get a stock lens even better!. Then make sure you AR the lens to increase light transmitance as the 1.67 does negatively effect this. Your Rx is such that you probably not see a marked increase in visual accuity in a FF lens. Typically i would reserve FF for patients with greater than 1.5D of Cyl or in cases where the Rx is weighted heavily towards astigmatism. As to your question of changing the Rx, if we follow all the rules, than to change your Rx you will need to first see a Dr. to consult with you regarding your vision etc. If its the case, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that your still very new to this industry or simply don't work in the technical side of thing's than I would hold off in fiddling with your Rx. Otherwise, do what you will, .25D isn't gonna' kill ya. Just don't say I said it was OK.

As to the darking in the Transitions. If you expose your transitions lens to a high intensity UV light they will get substantially darker, than with Sunlight on a warm summer day. As a historical note this was how we used to send transitions back as defective back in the early days of the material. The lens would shift to a rose tone after 15-20 minutes of high intensity UV. (We used a UV curing adhesive in the lab that needed some serious UV.)
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Ohh yeah Kevin I've talked with you on the phone a few times, thanks for the tips. Yeah the transitions were getting 30% dark under intense artificial UV light so I suspect it would be less outdoors. So it's just defective lens, or you think trivex and transitions just don't mix period (crazing aside.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Defective lens. I've had some great results with trivex transitions.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The issue is with all Transitions products except cr-39, it is a different process. Did you AR them? We do 100% Ar and if we have any issue, it is almost always Transitions in trivex, 1.6 or 1.67; they all have the same issue with backside coating. It is either the Europa coating applied by Transitions or it is the scratch coating on the back that was applied after surfacing.
    If it happened instantly it was a heat issue?
    The problem normally appears 1-18 months later and is very apparent as being on the back surfae only.

Try another pair it should be fine.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You may want to talk to one of the Cotran's if you can. Your "cross town" rival Optogenics has 1.60 aspheric trans. brown available.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeFormPower View Post
    Ok, so got my Digital HD SV Trivex Transitions Brown back. They have crazing on them. Ugh.

After researching, it seems Trivex and Transitions don't mix. Anyone hear about this? I heard it was only with Hoya Phoenix, however the blanks I used were supposedly either Younger or SOMO trivex trans brown blanks.

So with this said, I'm going to need to go with another lens, because I'm only going to get another shot at it and i'm scared it's going to craze again.

I can't seem to find 160 Trans Brown in SV, so I'm going to have to go with either Poly or 167. What do you guys think?

I was really wanting the trivex for BOTH the high ABBE quality and the Impact resistance. Now I'm going to have to choose between Poly or 167. Should I go with the impact resistance of Poly or the slightly better ABBE of 167? Will I really see a difference in optical quality?

My RX is

OD -325 Sphere
    OS -350 +75 90

What do you guys think? I don't really need the impact resistance but I wanted it just in case anything did ever happen. And I am very sensitive to sharpness because I have trained eyes (I'm a professional photographer) so I need the highest quality period.

Also should I stay with a digital freeform SV lens? Or with my RX would a standard SV lens be enough? I only ask because I never got an OC height so I just took my frame B dimension (25) and cut it in half (12) and used 12 as the OC height.

Price not a factor at all here.

Thanks pros!
    I think what bothers me the most about this is that you got them back from somewhere else....

First, we've never had a problem with Trivex Transitions (grey or brown) crazing, so either they got overheated at some point, or it's a defective batch.

Second, both Essilor and Shamir have 1.60 Transitions Brown, and given that you do Shamir Free Form in-house (or at least you used to) you should have no problem getting these lenses.

Third, you should not go with poly.

Fourth, a Free Form SV lens is better than just a conventional lens, but with your Rx you should be fine in a standard lens. Although if price is not a factor, why not go with the best?

Fifth, you should go back to the Doctor for the Rx change, since there are many factors other than just the sphere power that could cause the blurriness.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd do poly in that Rx -- the abbe values IMO as a wearer of both are not different enough to make a difference.

Although I think your BEST choice is 1.60 as suggested above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You don't mention A/R... but A/R causes most of the crazing I have seen, especially with Crizal on Trivex and 1.67, but other A/R's have issues with Trivex. Its usually due to the A/R layer not expanding or contracting at the same rate as the substrate. Do you have A/R and if so, is it Crizal? I have a pair of Transitions Trivex with Crizal w/SGP that have crazed at least 4 times. The other common cause could be that it was not degassed long enough... but there are others. Do you have A/R?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    How do you train your eyes? Will they sit,bark, roll over?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Why does your name sound so familiar to me? Did you work at NuOptics ages ago?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    No they were my competitors? when I owned a lab many moons ago in Cincinnati. Did you work for them?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No, we did some business with them and I liked ol' Henry there. Then they sure went to pieces.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information