Thread: Edge Polish on Full Metal Frame - Don't like it, how can i fix it?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Edge Polish on Full Metal Frame - Don't like it, how can i fix it?

So my personal pair of glasses, I got glossy edge polish on my lenses in a full metal frame because it sounded cool but I really hate it because I can see so many reflections around the edges.

Is it possible to edge coat the lenses a dark color to stop letting light through? My lenses have AR Coating on them and edge polished, so will edge coating markers even stick and stay on?

Help!

Maybe I can take some steel wool to the edges and make them less glossy?

Any ideas besides running new lenses?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any idea what the lens composition is?

I would suggest that the provider of the eyewear be contacted. They would be the best source of this information.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BTW, you are not alone in this result/observation. It seems that ever since polishing edges became available in edgers that some practices/labs are polishing everything. I wish they would stop this, and leave it as an option.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    well i work for the lab in the mail room so i get free lenses once a year. and it was my own dumb fault to do glossy edge polish, it sounded like a cool idea since i was getting the pair for free I minds well go all out and get the works!

but i dont like it.

Lens material is trivex, and it has a zeiss superslick AR coat on it. Also transitions brown

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Remove them from the frame, get your lab guys to tape up each side of the lens with blocking tape so you won't ruin them with particles. Then, very lightly go over the edge with some very fine sandpaper (get some second fine pads from the lab and stick the petals one by one to your finger as they wear out), but don't take off very much or the lenses will become loose in the frame.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the Forum,FFP! Talk to one of the lab people, in the finishing department, someone there will be able to disassemble and "unpolish" them. I wouldn't recommend that you try anything yourself. If your rx is minus(outer edge thick), ask that they leave the temporal edge polished. Removing the gloss on top, bottom, and nasal might remove enough of the annoying reflections. Good luck, and post back and let us know how it went!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have taken the gloss off the edges of lenses with a steady hand and a fine emery board. You can control the emery board easier than you can a sheet of sandpaper and it is essentially the same thing.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am with Dragon on using the petals of a second fine pad. Tear one off.. fold it for a bit stiffer edge.. and lightly sand around the lens. Protecting it with surface saver tape, or Roll and Polish pads is a great idea to protect the front and back surface. I would leave the actual bevel (V) itself alone..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Dragon, also. I have used this method several times, and it works great. Since I left the lab for retail, I just ask the lab to send me a couple fining pads, and I keep them on hand. The lab is usually happy to comply with this request.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Ergh I am just going to have the lenses remade since there's some defects any way.

Will I be safe with a "satin" edge polish or will there still be annoying reflections.

Oh yeah and does anyone know if you can do scratch coat/hard coats and roll edges with AR coating and full metal frame? Thanks

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Satin is best, even with a roll, though the AR can't go on the rolled part.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeFormPower View Post
    Ergh I am just going to have the lenses remade since there's some defects any way.

Will I be safe with a "satin" edge polish or will there still be annoying reflections.

Oh yeah and does anyone know if you can do scratch coat/hard coats and roll edges with AR coating and full metal frame? Thanks
    Sorry about having to have them remade....but that happens sometimes. Any polishing of the edges will create a gain in internal reflection, therefore if you found a full polish(gloss) very annoying, you will create some of the same issue.

Your AR coating already has a good scratch resistance. Use only a light feather on the edges, so that you don't cut into the AR and transition edge...that would make the lens look worse, from the frontal view. Good luck and post back with the end result of your adventure!
    Last edited by uncut; 09-17-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: sp

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeFormPower View Post

The satin polishes that I've seen are pretty dull. You could try it.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    I am with Dragon on using the petals of a second fine pad. Tear one off.. fold it for a bit stiffer edge.. and lightly sand around the lens. Protecting it with surface saver tape, or Roll and Polish pads is a great idea to protect the front and back surface. I would leave the actual bevel (V) itself alone..
    I know you have decided to reorder the lenses but hopefully this may help others.

You can use a buffer to remove the tape from the lens right up to the polished edge. The above method actually works very well but keep in mind to keep the straight folded edge at the base of the V-Bevel so you do not change the size of the lens.

Now for finish labs which most likely will have neither surface saver nor fining pads. Packing tape or even strips of scotch tape works in the place of the surface saver. Now for the fining pad issue. Either fine sandpaper or if you or a good tech have a steady hand run the polished edge along a grinding stone.

Polish edge gone and frosty one back.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Mylok; 09-18-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Thread Information