Thread: whats a good carrer change for a fed up Optician

Bad address email on file

whats a good carrer change for a fed up Optician

Hi everyone, just wanted to know if anyone knows what Optic knowledge transfers over to well? I am looking for a change. have spent way to much time trying to make a carrer out of this 13 years in fact. I give up ,...what is a frustrated Optician to do?
    Any help would be appreciated

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Some thoughts...

Bill,

Been there...left the dispensing side about 5 years ago.

Here's what I would suggest:

1. Scour your local newspaper and see what jobs are out there. Send resumes out and see what interest there is from you and the employer. From the ads, meetings, etc, build up your resume.

2. Attend job fairs, most are free and have a wide range of offferings.

3. Computers. They are here to stay and like medicine, there are so many specialties that you can find something that would appeal. Certifcaion will open many doors, some take time/money, some not so long. The easiest/fastest certification to get is an A++ certification that will give you the skills to troubleshoot and repair hardware. Apply to computer companies and see if they will give you a learning wage. The computer business has far too many people that come and go, so finding dedicated people is a struggle. If you have any computer skills at all see if you could apply them at a computer company.

4. Sales Rep? See if there are any openings for a sales rep, frames, lenses, labs, etc. Most optical companies will tallk to those that have experience.

5. Friends. Talk with your friends and see what jobs are out there. Most jobs are NOT listed in the newspaper. I "blindly" sent resumes to several companies and followed up. I got a few interviews and actually selected one of those to work for.

6. Internet. Sign up at Monster.com, hotjobs.com and others. You will be sent many job postings in days. Helped me to determine what I wanted to do and polished my resume from the ads.

Hope that helps...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Bill

I would hate to see you jump out of a career that you have been certified in by ABO. Are you tired of the subject matter or the environment? If it is the environment there are a lot of offices that would use a good Optician. You have a lot of time invested in it. You might like being a rep for frame manufactures or an associate for a lens company as a change of pace. kjw1231 gave you some great leads. You might also try networking at one of the education events.

Good luck
    :cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Vision Expo?

Bill,

I will be at the OptiBoard meeting at the Live eyewear booth on Saturday, will you?

Bad address email on file
    thanks for the advise guys.the fact is after September 11th Texas was hit hard i guess, + taxtime. I have been looking for a job for a while now with no luck. I am over-qualified....and OD's are scared of that because they know they will have to pay for my services. I just came from an interview at a Optical shop that brings in 20 grand a week and they offered me 11.00 an hour,..I was insulted.
    I have looked at being a sales rep for various lens and frame companies but they want someone with experience in their field and wont even talk to me....so far at least.
    I have searched several .com agencies and you cant even find a catagory for Optician,..(.this shows how narrow our field is).much less find a posting for employment.
    I have tried transfering out of state,...but mostly I get no replies back or tha states requiring licensure wont even reguard the 13 years I have put into this,....+outlandish fee's for setting for their boards. in Fla. its currently 800.00 to sit for theirs ( better hoper you pass huh.)
    anyway this is what I am up against

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try proctology, if you have been an optician long enough, you are used to the byproducts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Bill

I maintain a website of employers here in Ohio. About 6 months ago I posted a position for an Optician to work at a State facility starting at $25,000 a year plus benefits. Check us out occasionally at OAO.ORG

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Bad address email on file Di822's Avatar

Crier Burned out

Bill......you might try having a sex change operation. If you were a female optician, you would probably be grateful for that $11.00.

Seriously, you need to get away from it for a while. Remember the definition of INSANITY.....doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I think just changing offices will help you. Keep looking. Good Luck!

Diane, "Women 4 Less", Optician

Thread Information