Thread: Top 10 Reasons why I suggested a ready-made reader....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Top 10 Reasons why I suggested a ready-made reader....

Two instances of refracting epic fails this week:
    1) A 45 year old bookkeeper/self-employed contractor, with mild hyperopic, astigmatic distance Rx, first add +1.50. Narrow pd.

2)A retired myopic school teacher, 1.00cyl post cataract, has worn glasses all her adult life.

In both cases, the suggested visual correction was...."just get a pair of drugstore reading glasses!"

In honor of this occasion, I thought I'd answer with the TOP TEN reasons(from the refractionist's point of view) why I did this:

10) Just thought I'd make your surgeon look like God.
    09) I have shares in Shoppers Druckmart.
    08) It's getting close to lunch and my soup is getting cold.
    07) I thought you were a Lasik patient!
    06) I'm "Unclear of the Concept"(See Mr. Boffo cartoon strip)
    05) I thought you said you wanted drier eyes.
    04) I really wanted you to look like a dork!
    03) I'm not getting paid enough!
    02) You really don't need to see the speedometer when you're driving.

and the Number one Reason why I suggested ready-made reading glasses instead of a fully visually fuctional custom made device.....

I just wanted to be a HERO!!!
    :hammer::hammer::hammer:
    Last edited by uncut; 09-12-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    2)A retired myopic school teacher, 1.00cyl post cataract, has worn glasses all her adult life.
    Can't assume that a refraction was even done in this case, most likely the patient had uncorrected distance VA of 20/25, maybe even 20/20 so no refraction even done, surgeon says get some readers...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Strangely enough, refractions were done in both cases. In the first one, I think the trauma of becoming "bifocaled" freaked the young un, and the practitioner felt he could soften it by suggesting OTC specs, that they would be O.K. The narrow P.D. negated the comfort capability, and the cyl. o.u. reduced the accuracy for bookkeeping. It took a bit of time to convince her that the suggestion wouldn't be in her best interests.

In the second case, the practitioner, from the same firm, didn't realized the picky myopic effect, nor the history of near vision activity of the post-cataract senior. She is not the knitting and rocking-chair kind of granny. Golf, swim, jog, volunteer, websurf, shop, sightsee, travel is more her style, as is the case of a majority of boomer seniors. Her intelligence and optical savvy is high, causing her to shake her head about the young twerp who examined her.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Another wish on my list of unfulfilled desires..... WHY do surgeons who have no time to spend with these discussions even bother? WHY not refer them, along with the full Rx to the optician, who is the expert on optical lifestyle choices and who is accustomed to the interminable time consuming conversation?
    An idea.... Make appointment, or send a letter to surgeons in your area reminding them that lifestyle choices are your specialty, and you will happily relieve them of this task, also include the many other ways you are invaluable to his practice.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cleyes View Post
    Another wish on my list of unfulfilled desires..... WHY do surgeons who have no time to spend with these discussions even bother? WHY not refer them, along with the full Rx to the optician, who is the expert on optical lifestyle choices and who is accustomed to the interminable time consuming conversation?
    An idea.... Make appointment, or send a letter to surgeons in your area reminding them that lifestyle choices are your specialty, and you will happily relieve them of this task, also include the many other ways you are invaluable to his practice.
    See #10 on list...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cleyes View Post
    WHY not refer them, along with the full Rx to the optician, who is the expert on optical lifestyle choices and who is accustomed to the interminable time consuming conversation?
    Thank you!!!!! :bbg:
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Thread Information