Thread: To all the well seasoned opticians out there

OptiBoard Apprentice

Question

I need a little advice. I'm currently employed as an optometric tech. I'm happy with my career thus far, but I'm planning on seeking certification. I'm not sure whether I should obtain my certification as a tech, or whether I'd rather pursue opticianary. I'm looking into it. I am attending a meeting next week about certification programs in my area, but unfortunately there is not a career counselor who is seasoned in the eye care field for me to discuss this with. (Sounds kind of funny that they offer the certification programs but they don't have a counselor in the field, I know.) Any way, I was hoping that some of you might give me some advice to enlighten me and make my decision a little more informed. If any of you had once been in the same position I am now it would be helpful to get feedback from you. Or for those of you who just went straight into opticianary, it would be great to hear why you chose opticianary and why you would encourage a person to pursue a career as an optician.

Thanks!

~Sheila

OptiBoard Professional
    Sheila,
    Kudos to you for pursuing more advanced certification. I started out 16 years ago as an Optometric tech. Through the years I have worked for ODs, MDs, chain opticals, and Independant Opticians. I learned something in every place. My personal advice would be to get the opticianry educaion if you can. While working as a tech for a doctor can be rewarding, there is definitely a glass ceiling for advancement. It isn't likely that you will ever have the ability to be your own boss and own an office of your own. As an optician, the starting pay may be low, but your potential is endless. Four years ago I started a placement service that provides relief opticians here in Texas. I still run that business. Also, last month, I bought my first "all my very own" optical dispensary. I determine my income. I make the recommendations I feel are best for the patients. I have a great relationship with referring doctors, but it's worth the world to me to know that when it comes right down to it, I only answer to me.

Carol (Certified Optician &proud of it)D

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hi Sheila, I started out as an optech also. I went into opticianary only because that was the only opening my employer had at the time. I decided that it had been something I had thought about doing when I was an optech before anyway so why not. I then decided that I really enjoyed it once I learned how to do my job. I am pleased with my decision. I do get to cover sometimes in the doctor's office which I also enjoy,but would never want to go back to on a regular basis. Not to say if I needed a job that I would not consider it even with my experience in opticianary. I look at it like a "fall back on "career. I really can't tell you what to do but I will say the more you can do the more valuable you will be to an employer. I know there have been lots of times when our doctor was very glad she could come get me to help out with new hires. Don't forget certification is the key!!! :) I wish you well with whatever you decide to do. Hope whatever I shared has helped.
    Have a great day!!!!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Ah, Sheila. I too could use advise where to find well seasoned opticians. I find their cerebellum is generally overly delicious due to the abnormal amount of being 'nice' to whomever they meet, regardless of how much said person may upset them.

Dr. Lecter

Rising Star

Shiela:
    Take my word for it: become certified in BOTH. Then quit and go to work for an MD and get your COT, or whatever their highest level techs are called. Then you can pretty much write your own ticket, running an Ophthalmology practice that also dispenses, running an Optometric practice, or being the best dern Optician in your town.
    Bob

------------------

"Come see me now, heah?"

OptiBoard Apprentice

Wow... Thanks for all the responses guys. I was starting to think that maybe I'd just do both, and it's good to hear that I wasn't alone in that train of thought. I'm going to my meeting for certification programs tomorrow, so if you're interested (and maybe even if you aren't :) ) I'll let you know how things go and what I decided to do. Thanks for the input and being a great sounding board!

~Sheila

Rising Star

Originally posted by Sheila:
    Wow... Thanks for all the responses guys. I was starting to think that maybe I'd just do both, and it's good to hear that I wasn't alone in that train of thought. I'm going to my meeting for certification programs tomorrow, so if you're interested (and maybe even if you aren't :) ) I'll let you know how things go and what I decided to do. Thanks for the input and being a great sounding board!

~Sheila
    Sheila:
    We're interested.
    Bob

------------------

"Come see me now, heah?"

OptiBoard Apprentice

Redhot Jumper

Okay, here's the scoop. After attending my meeting at the college and speaking to Judy Canty I've decided to pursue certification in both paraoptometrics and opticianary. I think certification and education is important and now all I have to do is find an office/store who agrees. My next step is to find an apprenticeship, which I'm already on top of. If things don't work out with the person I'm in contact with I've been told that the school can help place me. I start classes next week. I just wanted to again say thank you to all of you who have given me feedback and let you know how much I appreciate your taking the time to give me your opinions and that they helped me make a better informed decision by pointing out some things that I hadn't really thought about. Any way, I better close this before I start rambling on...

Thanks Again!

~Sheila

Bad address email on file
    Sheila,

Just read your cry for help tonight. I am a 36 year old Licensed Optician who is ABO certified, NCLC certified and Opthalmic Tech certified. I started as a receptionist for an Optometrist when I was 20 years old.
    I have worked in all aspects of the field of Optics with an Optometrist, Ophthalmologist and the large retail opticals. I have worked as the employee and the manager.
    I also have designed, opened and managed 2, going on 3 opticals.

My best advice to you is:
    1st are you planning on having children? If the answer is yes, working as a tech or optician in a M-F position with a doctor pays less, but has better hours. Working as a tech is alot less stressful, more rewarding and you are way more respected than as an optician. Unfortunately, thanks to Lenscrafters, Pearle, etc. the puplic views opticans as "sales people". Techs are viewed as "nurses". After just having my first child, I wanted to be home more with him, so I am back to being an Ophthalmic Tech specializing in Pediatric Ophthalmology.
    I only work 32 hours per week and have M-F hours. The only downfall, the pay is alot less than if I worked at a retail optical.
    Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps with your decision. Get both cert so you have a choice. They are much too easy to get.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would agree with my fellow professionals. I also suggest that you pursue the opticianry certification as it has better rewards (monetarily)than the op techs. After you get the opticianry certification though you may want to pursue the tech option, but may change your mind once you see the salary potential of one versus the other.

------------------
    Cindy A. Hamlin
    Eastern Regional Operations/Personnel Manager
    Vista Eyecare, Inc.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Okay, I've secured an apprenticeship and have a very positive feeling about my new place of employment. Thanks for getting me started guys.

~Sheila

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Good going Sheila!!! You will not regret it. The more you know the more valuable you are! I wish you lots of luck and if I can help out in anyway e-mail me!!
    Have a great day!
    Steph

Thread Information