Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: science fiction.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

science fiction.

So what are some of your favorite science fiction shows or movie?

Some of my favorites are Babylon 5 and Fire Fly.I have been on a B5 kick as of late since they are streaming it on netflix.

The British have some great Sci-fi as well not just DR. Who.There is Torchwood and my wife has gotten me into Life on Mars. That show is worth watching for the music alone!

So what is your favorite science fiction movie TV show or even book?

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well B5 and Firefly are awesome, but the best scifi is in book form. Currently, I'm going through the Foundation Series again - good stuff and if you've never read it you've probably been living under a rock. ;-) I've also noticed though that all my favorite scifi books/movies deal with "first contact" situations. The Harry Turtledove's "World War" and "Colonization" series, and "A World of Difference" come to mind.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would kill (a lot) to get one more season of David Tennant/Cathrine Tate.... My wife is a huge Torchwood fan, and they are filming the next season beginning in early 2011.

I guess I'm showing my age by preferring the originals of Battlestar Galactica, V, and Buck Rogers.....(and of course, Dr. Who).

Back to the Bits, I liked Red Dwarf as well.

Mostly unrelated side note - Watching the Teletubbies, don't you always expect Tom Baker to come walking over that hill with his huge scarf....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    I would kill (a lot) to get one more season of David Tennant/Cathrine Tate....
    Does that mean you would kill a lot of people, or kill one person a lot? Like, kill them really hard?

I really like Matt Smith, and Amy Pond is probably my favorite companion ever. But another year of the Doctor Donna would have been divine. I'm turning my girlfriend and my roommate on to Doctor Who right now, and we watched "The Runaway Bride" last night. Donna is so much better the second time around.

Torchwood I'm hot and cold on. When it's good it's excellent, but when it's not it's often really, really awful. For three or four episodes in a row. But "Children of Earth" was brilliant and horrifying, so I have hope for the future. The next season is going to be Torchwood International, with some American cast and crew.

Firefly is simply the greatest TV show ever.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Absolutely the remake of Battlestar Galactica. StarGate (original, Atlantis), haven't watched any of the Universe yet. Caprica.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Does that mean you would kill a lot of people, or kill one person a lot? Like, kill them really hard?
    Whichever is necessary to get them back ;).

I really like Matt Smith, and Amy Pond is probably my favorite companion ever. But another year of the Doctor Donna would have been divine. I'm turning my girlfriend and my roommate on to Doctor Who right now, and we watched "The Runaway Bride" last night. Donna is so much better the second time around.
    Matt Smith is ok....I guess.... (I HATE Rory). I guess it's just that David Tennant was SOOOOOO good, that it's hard to live up to that. And I cry everytime I watch the episode where they bring back Sarah Jane Smith and K-9.
    Torchwood I'm hot and cold on. When it's good it's excellent, but when it's not it's often really, really awful. For three or four episodes in a row. But "Children of Earth" was brilliant and horrifying, so I have hope for the future. The next season is going to be Torchwood International, with some American cast and crew.

Firefly is simply the greatest TV show ever.
    I'm not a real big Torchwood fan, just not that into it, although Children of Earth was very good.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Bowties are cool.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The absolute best sci-fi movie of all time - Dark Star.:bbg:

Well, at least it has a super ending. And is funny.

"Back in the day when men were Real Men, women were Real Women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri V were Real Small Furry Creatures From Alpha Centauri V."
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    The absolute best sci-fi movie of all time - Dark Star.:bbg:

Why do I feel like you're pulling our legs?
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    Why do I feel like you're pulling our legs?
    Have you seen it? It's John Carpenter's first movie.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I forgot about Red Dwarf do0es that make me a smeghead?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For sci-fi comedy, I also highly recommend the short-lived British parody Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    "Back in the day when men were Real Men, women were Real Women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri V were Real Small Furry Creatures From Alpha Centauri V."
    The original BBC television production is the BEST. Well, actually it's terrible, but that's what makes it so good.

Bowties are cool
    You know, I actually kind of liked the fez....

Now, if we could just get River and Cpt. Jack together....what a couple that would be.

I'm not sure if it counts as Sci-Fi or not, but the movie Dark City was interesting.

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Don't forget Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Don't Panic!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    Well B5 and Firefly are awesome, but the best scifi is in book form. Currently, I'm going through the Foundation Series again - good stuff and if you've never read it you've probably been living under a rock. ;-) I've also noticed though that all my favorite scifi books/movies deal with "first contact" situations. The Harry Turtledove's "World War" and "Colonization" series, and "A World of Difference" come to mind.
    I've been listening to foundation on my mp3 pplayer in the lab the last few days...
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Rocky Horror Picture Show

'nuff said.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Rocky Horror Picture Show

'nuff said.
    I have had more then my fill of Rocky.The music is great but I could go a long time without seeing it again. If we are talking books I would have to go with Dune and Ender's Game. The Dune movie did not do the book justice.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Books: all time favorite series: David Weber's Honor Harrington series.

The Dune movie (the one with Kyle Mclachlan?) was an absolute JOKE. The mini-series on SciFi was far better imo.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree loved the Dune mini series. I was trying to find a place I could watch it again but it is not on netflix and my Library does not have it :(. Orson Scott Cards Homeward Bound Series is worth a read too.I also do a lot of fantasy The Wheel of time by Robert Jordan is pretty epic. I have learned it is best not to start a book series that is not already done. I hate waiting a year or two between books.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Good sci-fi book series is Fred Saberhagen's Berserker books. Berserker Kill is one that has it's plot follow closely to what happened at Midway in WW II.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I liked a lot the Dune mini series, too. And Stargate was a good movie at its time...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still like the Stargate movie. Stargate SG1 was okay but I got burnt out on it if season 3. I can appreciate a low budget television show but every planet they visited looked like liked Canada. I also really enjoyed Star Trek Enterprise. I liked how they did not have the technology that they had on the other Star Treks and really had to figure things out for themselves. Besides who doesn't like Scott Bakula. I mean Quantum leap was pretty cool right?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My wife would kill me if I didn't mention her favorite Mystery Science theater 3000.I love being married to a geek.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    I still like the Stargate movie. Stargate SG1 was okay but I got burnt out on it if season 3. I can appreciate a low budget television show but every planet they visited looked like liked Canada. I also really enjoyed Star Trek Enterprise. I liked how they did not have the technology that they had on the other Star Treks and really had to figure things out for themselves. Besides who doesn't like Scott Bakula. I mean Quantum leap was pretty cool right?
    I don't really like Scott Bakula, and I liked much more Star Trek: The Next Generation. Commander Data was pretty cool. And Picard also. I think the scripts were much better, lots of good ideas.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Star Trek the Next Generation got me started on Star Trek and they had some really good episodes but it has to be my least favorite of the series. Maybe it didn't age well and I just think a lot of the stories are a bit cornballish now and would rather watch an episode of DS9.

Thread Information