Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature & latitude change so great will crack polarized polycarb lenses! Help??

OptiBoard Apprentice LAGUNAEYEDESIGNER's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Temperature & latitude change so great will crack polarized polycarb lenses! Help??

Hi everyone,
    Please help me to understand this, thanks.

I just dispensed a beutiful Ic! Berlin (base curve 8) polarized polycarb sunglasses to my patient in a perfect conditions. Then one week later, he came back and show me there is a long crack on his polarized polycarb lenses. He told me that his polarized polycarb lenses just crack on his face when he biked down from the Grand Canyon trail in Arizona-88 degree high on the mountain down to 3 degree below the ground level.

He sweared up & down that he never drop them, the polarized polycarb lenses JUST CRACK BY THEMSELF on his face. So I have to re-do the lenses for him.

My questions are:
    1. Are the polarized polycarb crack when temperature & latitude change so great?
    2. What kind of material will be better for trail bikers beside Polarized Polycarb?
    3. I did check with the lab, the polarized trivex is no available.
    4. What should I do?

Thanks for your help. :angry:...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGUNAEYEDESIGNER View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just dispensed a beutiful Ic! Berlin (base curve 8) polarized polycarb sunglasses to my patient in a perfect conditions. Then one week later, he came back and show me there is a long crack on his polarized polycarb lenses. He told me that his polarized polycarb lenses just crack on his face when he biked down from the Grand Canyon trail in Arizona-88 degree high on the mountain down to 3 degree below the ground level.

He sweared up & down that he never drop them, the polarized polycarb lenses JUST CRACK BY THEMSELF on his face. So I have to re-do the lenses for him.

My questions are:
    1. Are the polarized polycarb crack when temperature & latitude change so great?
    2. What kind of material will be better for trail bikers beside Polarized Polycarb?
    4. What should I do?

You should of had a V8!

You failed to give this patient a superior lens material like Trivex. You sold him an inferior lens material that was not suited to his visual demands, active lifestyle, was probably manufactured incorrectly causing terrible stress on the material, and was maybe not a real value to his pocketbook!

Why did you do that?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    4. What should I do?

3.) Find a real lab!
    4.) See #3

Shame on the lab, but shame on you even more for not knowing what is available and believing, BLINDLY, what your lab is telling you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PS. You are welcome for my help! :angry:...
    Last edited by Fezz; 08-31-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: I forgot the ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Trilogy NuPolar rocks!
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Trilogy NuPolar rocks!
    That deserves a Fezz Two Thumbs up and Three Cheers Award!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Laguna,

I suggest that you pass these links on to the folks that you seem to trust, and fork your money to every month (aka YOUR LAB).

http://www.youngeroptics.com/trilogy...ech_Trilogy085

http://www.x-celoptical.com/product_arisTrivex.asp

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...port-tints.asp

http://www.2020mag.com/CE/TabViewTes...3/Default.aspx

That is only a start.

You may want to educate yourself a bit while you are at it! I would hate to see a fellow Optiboarder taken advantage of like you must have been!
    Last edited by Fezz; 09-01-2010 at 05:48 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    hi, i hope some expert here can help me with these 2 question.
    1. so how can the lens crack by itself?
    2. is trilogy a better material then normal polycarbonate lens? what is their different??

thank you..
    Yeap

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper It is an issue with poly polarized; it is worse on brown for some reason?

Hi everyone,

My questions are:
    4. What should I do?

We are in Florida and have always done alot of polarized poly until we could get NXT. The poly polarized seems to have a crack that can develop for no apparent reason. We found the majority were on 8 base brown lenses for some reason; it did not matter what brand or style of lens. The crack is almost always from the top down starting at the edge, but almost never from the edges for some reason. That is why we felt the problem with the 8 base lenses was much more apparent. We have used NXT for the past 2 years and have no more issues as we do not use poly at all!!:bbg::bbg:

Your lab is wrong as there is polarized trivex available for any lens style; the blended is amazing and works out great for golfers and fisherman.

Call Pech Optical as they are the kings of polarized work and tell them Craig sent you.

They will buy me dinner in Vegas for sending them customers and I can then get dessert as well.

Craig

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Polarized Trivex (NXT) in freeform single vision as well as PAL have been available for years from Pech and now some other labs. The lab you sellect need to have a 5 Axis edger set up for 8 base. (MEI or Helix). Pech does have both and are kings of wrap. Another fantastic lens is the Keanon Polarized. Kaenon has 8 base tints for performace no one else offers. Comparable impact resistance to Trivex and Poly but in a 1.56. Pech also has that and you can ask around with who ever you like to deal with if they are not an option for you.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeap View Post
    hi, i hope some expert here can help me with these 2 question.
    1. so how can the lens crack by itself?
    Chemical exposure will crack poly- household cleaners, fingernail polish remover, fragrances, even artificial flavorings I think (don't be a messy eater if you wear poly).

http://www.fiboxusa.com/pdf/ChemResV707.pdf

2. is trilogy a better material then normal polycarbonate lens? what is their different??

thank you..
    In addition to not being chemical sensitive, it's a less dispersive material; i.e., reduced chromatic aberration resulting in less off-axis blur.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thanks for the props Fezz!

G'day
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz...why is it shame on me? It is a vsp signature job (patient has vsp insurance) and the lab who did the job is vsp lab in Sacramento who told me that polarized trivex is not available. Patient never mention to me that he will he likes to race on the mountain once or twice per year just for fun.

Fezz- you are drunk and I don't welcome drunken man response to my post. This is an education sites for whoever needs to learn about optical. You came to my post and said shame on this and shame on that then my response to you is shame on you who has a jealousy tongue.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    thank you so much Robert for the answer.. really appreciate it..
    Yeap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone for your help. I need to add this information to my original post. This is an vsp insurance job and vsp lab in Sacramento did this job who insisted no polarized trivex is not available.

This questions for Nupolar reps (in southern california): We love Trilogy by nupolar & we always put our patients in trilogy (our #1 choice) but the lab in our area always switch the materials on us and always give us too many reasons like trilogy (nupolar) is always back orders and is not availabe. You are welcome to private me and let me know which labs in southern of california who offers trilogy (nupolar) with out giving us many reasons that trilogy is alwasy back-orders?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Short answer - all forms of poly are prone to spontaneous cracking for no reason at all.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Fezz...why is it shame on me? It is a vsp signature job (patient has vsp insurance) and the lab who did the job is vsp lab in Sacramento who told me that polarized trivex is not available. Patient never mention to me that he will he likes to race on the mountain once or twice per year just for fun.

Fezz- you are drunk and I don't welcome drunken man response to my post. This is an education sites for whoever needs to learn about optical. You came to my post and said shame on this and shame on that then my response to you is shame on you who has a jealousy tongue.

Don't be too hard on Fezz, he just gives tough love. And he did educate you.The reason your VSP lab did not tell you about Trivex is most likely because they are an Essilor-owned lab and by contract they will not tell you about anything that is not made by Essilor, or at least will tell you they can not get it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't they use poly for aircraft windows? I don't think there should be such an issue in regards to temp and lat. As far as I know however all windows on planes have been replaced with Trivex.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't think the poly windshields are 1.3 mm thick. And plexiglas is slightly different than the Rx poly.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if Acetone is involved in this situation. Sunscreen or bug repellent may have been used by the wearer, applied facially. Mix that with perspiration and reapplication of lotions.... Could that be a possible source that would cause a poly crack?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Don't be too hard on Fezz, he just gives tough love. And he did educate you.The reason your VSP lab did not tell you about Trivex is most likely because they are an Essilor-owned lab and by contract they will not tell you about anything that is not made by Essilor, or at least will tell you they can not get it.
    Yes, I really appreciate Fezz's opinion on any subjects related to the optical. No, I dont like that he called me unethical when he said: "You sold him an inferior lens material that was not suited to his visual demands, active lifestyle, was probably manufactured incorrectly causing terrible stress on the material, and was maybe not a real value to his pocketbook!".

I know I m a junior optician in this field and I am here to learn from all the experts who are master opticians for all their life. I really admired them to strive hard to provide the best to our patients when optical field in this dificult time. I do not need negative/pointless view from anyones who try to attack any individual's ethical.

@dragonlensman: please read this link below regards Essilor and Luxottica and let me know how you feel when independent optician/optometrist has to deal with this?

Essilor has secret meeting in Italy with Luxottica- Game on!!

Posted: August 19, 2010 by lenschic in Uncategorized

We have further confirmation to what we already knew, and already reported. Essilor and Luxottica are in the final stages of being one company! We have confirmation that the Del Vecchio family have been paid, and Essilor is ready to take over the reigns. We hear the only real delay at the moment is some of the licensing agreements, Luxottica is involved in.

What will this mean to the industry?

If you’re a mindless fool, your answer will be nothing. The truth is, less choice, a greater monopoly on products and price. A MASSIVE company that is a producer of all optical products. A company who owns the largest network of laboratories in the world. A company who owns the largest retails chain(s) in the world, and a company who owns their own vision HMO plan. A company who owns the largest direct to consumer optical website.

So go ahead and continue to buy Luxottica products, Essilor products and don’t say one ****ing word when you are forced to buy mediocre product you don’t want, take Eyemed and compete directly online, just to scrape by!
    Expect a denial, but wait for the truth, as it is on it’s way.

Laguna.
    Last edited by LAGUNAEYEDESIGNER; 09-02-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Most of us already know about Essilux.
    I work for an independent OD and run an independent optical. I quit buying any Lux products three years ago. And I quit using Essilor four years ago. Truth is, I had it up to here with E years ago when their reps lied to me all the time.
    No one can force me to buy mediocre product I don't want. We do take Eyemed but, again, no Lux products.
    And I have said more than one ******* word about it.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Don't they use poly for aircraft windows? I don't think there should be such an issue in regards to temp and lat. As far as I know however all windows on planes have been replaced with Trivex.
    I think the key here is that poly once was used in aircraft and bullet-proof glass etc. However as I understand it now the poly became brittle (or more brittle) over time with exposure to the elements (chiefly the Sun). Since that isn't good for windows they've been replaced and I believe you are exactly right when you say they replaced it with Trivex.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone for your help. I need to add this information to my original post. This is an vsp insurance job and vsp lab in Sacramento did this job who insisted no polarized trivex is not available.

This questions for Nupolar reps (in southern california): We love Trilogy by nupolar & we always put our patients in trilogy (our #1 choice) but the lab in our area always switch the materials on us and always give us too many reasons like trilogy (nupolar) is always back orders and is not availabe. You are welcome to private me and let me know which labs in southern of california who offers trilogy (nupolar) with out giving us many reasons that trilogy is alwasy back-orders?
    Check with your friendly Hoya lab. They have their own Phoenix line of polarized lenses.

BTW, if this is the same type of ic! Berlin frame I dealt with the other day (metal in-line groove), I would only use Trivex/Phoenix with lower powers and MR-8/MR-10 with higher powers.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You should of had a V8!

You failed to give this patient a superior lens material like Trivex. You sold him an inferior lens material that was not suited to his visual demands, active lifestyle, was probably manufactured incorrectly causing terrible stress on the material, and was maybe not a real value to his pocketbook!

Why did you do that?
    Ouch Fezzy! You used to be such a gentle soul!

Thread Information