Thread: Contract Optician

Bad address email on file travelingoptician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Contract Optician

I am trying to start a contract optician business in Ohio and Michigan. I am Duel Licensed in Ohio, ABO and NCLE certified. I am bringing 13 years of dispensing and lab experience to the table. I am in the process of devoloping a contract and getting insured both liablity and malpractice. The ideal market is for the small opticals that usally close to go on vacation or take a day off. They can hire me to fill in for a day or a week or longer. I know of only one other guy doing this in Northern Colorado. Do you think this business would fly?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by travelingoptician View Post
    Do you think this business would fly?
    In my opinion, yes and no. No if you are trying to make a full time income from this. Unless you could find about 20 shops within a short drive for you, and they would all need say 1 day a month. If you have to travel, you would need to add about half of what wage you are expecting to cover your expenses (hotel, food, gas). You would also have to add about half of that "day" rate again to cover the fact that you will most likely not work 5 days a week, every week.

Yes if you are only in need of a decent part time income, for a very part time job.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know several opticians who attempted to do this in the Phx area, one even tried to establish as sort of an employment service for temporary optical help and none of them succeeded. The commercial retails won't use this type of temp help as it creates more effort for their personnel and payroll situations, and the independents just don't seem to appreciate this kind of service.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm aware of someone doing what you're talking about in my area. You would be providing a valuable service. Don't ever allow your fingers to get the least bit sticky, however, because you might find yourself out of twenty jobs instead of just one.

OptiBoard Apprentice Eye glass lady's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    travelingoptician,
    I personally would love it. I run a small optical shop by myself and I have one fill in and there are times when I could really use an extra. My lab has told me to find someone, but no one wants to work just every once in a while for an 8 hour day or maybe 1 week here and there. I know that my lab does have opticians that travel TO fill in. I think its great if you can get a contract... Good luck !!!

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Speaking as someone from Michigan, I don't think it would work - at least not here. Opticals are closing left and right - I know more opticians looking for jobs right now than at any time I can remember. I have friends that made a decent living at this gig that lost jobs and are now making half what they were making.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to agree that it is touch and go on this one. I have a seperate company that I put together as a "traveling optician". The independants love me because I am an independant contractor and they don't have to worry about paperwork. The big chains won't touch me unless I agree to become their employee. Can you make money at this? It depends on the time of the year. It also depends, quite frankly, on your networking! Opticians talk..alot. When I was working at a lab in Sarasota, I reccomended another "traveling optician" to a regular customer. She was licensed and had lodes of experience. She worked there for two days...the O.D. called me and asked me to NEVER reccomend her to anybody again!

Good Luck with your Business!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Thread Information