Thread: Tips for recommending Transitions

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Tips for recommending Transitions

Any one have any good tips on how to combat the "they don't work in the car" response about Transition lenses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Living in AZ where transitions don't work very well, I let may patients know that they are "comfort" lenses and never take the place of a true pair of sunglasses. While they will make your life more comfortable, they are not a pair of sunglasses. When someone says that's not what they shoe on TV, I remind them that all of the people on TV that drink beer are young, beautiful and NEVER have beer bellys!!
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ManitobaOD View Post
    Any one have any good tips on how to combat the "they don't work in the car" response about Transition lenses?
    Seems like this would be a good opening for you to try to sell them some Drivewear lenses that actually do get darker behind the windshield of a car in bright sunlight.

I myself do not have Drivewear lenses. In fact, I am getting by without any tinted or polarized lenses. But that's just me. I don't drive or walk around in bright sunlight all that much.

Just sayin' ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uummmm...."since you don't want as dark of a tint while doing a highspeed task, these lenses automatically back off in intensity as soon as you get into your car. They immediately darken more when you step out of your vehicle. Guaranteed, yep, guaranteeeed indeed." would be a way of handling the presentation of the lens. It's a feature!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Funny you should ask.....

Quote Originally Posted by ManitobaOD View Post
    Funny you should ask, just today I answered am email from Nassau lens offering a CE course on the Transitions VI lens. I took the course and coincidently they covered the "behind the windshield" problem, as well as darkening and lightening at different rates than Transitions earlier releases. The link is in my other computer and I'll post it later tonight or first thing tomorrow. You may have to register to take the course but it costs nothing and I got a lot out of it. Your dispensing staff would benefit by reading it as well, if it is appropriate. It takes little time and provides a ton of selling points.

PS Correction, it was 20/20 magazine that sent the email ( you will have to register there too.) I am forwarding the email to you separately, if you have any problem I'll cut and paste the course and email that to you.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 08-25-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: PS added
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Transitions Xtractive gets to about 50% in the car. www.transitionsxtractive.com
    RT

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just like Kat said... the patient should have a seperate pair (prefferably polarised as a general rule) as their sole sunglass / sun protection.

Transitions are like your "every day" shoe... you wouldnt go to the gym or running in your evey day shoe... you would buy appropriate sneakers. Just like you wouldnt rely soley on your "every day lenses" as your sun protection.

I also like to point out that transitions should also not be relied upon for 100% protection because they are going into an optical frame... not a sunglass frame that is designed to protect and cover your eyes from sun light. I get the px to wear the optical frame and i point out all the gaps in the top, sides and bottom between their face and the frame to show how much light will be entering their sight.

So thats how I would do it - transitions are not the "be all and end all" of sun protection and should allways be backed up with a proper pair of Rx sunglasses. Transitions are great if you are going in and out of buildings all day (say shopping, running errands etc) and dont want to fiddle with 2 pairs (sun and optical). But dont try and make them into more than what they can do.

This sales pitch usually gets me a 2nd pair sale! :D
    Its ok!.....I work at an independant!....and no, thats NOT on sale.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Tell them that they won't darken in a car before you sell them....

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Seems like this would be a good opening for you to try to sell them some Drivewear lenses that actually do get darker behind the windshield of a car in bright sunlight.

I myself do not have Drivewear lenses. In fact, I am getting by without any tinted or polarized lenses. But that's just me. I don't drive or walk around in bright sunlight all that much.

Just sayin' ...
    The SOLFx lenses from SLC do the same thing (they're based on the same Transitions formula). They're available in Grey and Brown. And they're polarized (same as the Drivewear), for excellent driving comfort, especially in all the snow they get up north.....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information