Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not go back where you came from?

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter elaneo's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why not go back where you came from?

I mean what the title says. Though I may be too nice and weak to refuse simple repairs.

Aside from the patients who are travelling/do not live close to where they purchased their glasses and just "found you"...
    Why do some patients from other opticals keep going to different opticals. If I bought an appliace at store X, my first choice would not be getting serviced atstore Y

What do you tell those coming from other opticals?
    (Also, you have to love those that come in saying they're sure they got their dollar store magnifiers from you)

Too consumers reading this...just be honest...you're not fooling anyone, even when you think you are...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have people that don't go where they "came from" because they received substandard adjustments or crappy service.

I cannot tell you how many people ( Loyal People ) I have gained just from simply giving a good adjustment or providing friendly service. I also give out bottles of cleaner and cloths to people who come in that are not my patients... it's got my address and phone number printed right there on the bottle!

Providing these small things is the cheapest marketing you can get!!

Suck it up and be friendly, provide your service... you never know.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by elaneo View Post
    I mean what the title says. Though I may be too nice and weak to refuse simple repairs.

Aside from the patients who are travelling/do not live close to where they purchased their glasses and just "found you"...
    Why do some patients from other opticals keep going to different opticals. If I bought an appliace at store X, my first choice would not be getting serviced atstore Y

What do you tell those coming from other opticals?
    (Also, you have to love those that come in saying they're sure they got their dollar store magnifiers from you).
    WOW...what an attitude! Maybe you should cut back on the coffee, or get some more sleep? Are you actually saying that you don't want potential new customers walking in your door? That you actually WANT to pass up an opportunity to lock in a customer who is obviously unhappy with the service he or she received elsewhere?

WOW.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With a question like this your bound to get a lot of buttkiss replies here. I work with 25 other opticians and while their on the field their all complaining about the same things you are. But then when it comes to our monthly meetings they all sound like Jana. I'm definitely not slamming anyone I'm simply giving you what you asked for which is a sampling of how things go at "other opticals." At the end of the day you can simply chalk it up to human nature. People are fickle and therefore much more likely to complain about poor service or subpar workmanship to everyone but the place they got them from. I used to teach an orientation class for a large optical chain designed to get new opticians a basic understanding of everything optical along with all the intricacies of day to day business and one of the things we taught them is that a happy customer will on average tell 5 people about their experience while a dissatisfied customer will tell 20.

In the end the employer I work for now wants to give away every service we provide that doesn't directly involve selling frames, lenses, complete pairs of glasses and a few accessories, so basically I put on my best smile and do whatever they ask me but for every one loyal customer I get for providing these free of charge services for I get many many more that just keep buying their glasses from the Walmart down the street or some even worse optical shop only to return here to have us check the glasses, adjust them, replace worn the worn nosepads etc over and over again. It's just the way it goes.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as a newbie to the board, I have to thank you for saying this. Not because I agree with the sentiment, but because it is situations and opinions like yours that allow me to set a meaningful dialogue with new patients, and retain them as my patients. I recognize that it's irritating to hear the "true stories" of how glasses get damaged, and yeah, most of us know that the real reason is carelessness, but those people, those irritants? Lifesblood of our industry. So, while they're out of line, they're absolutely necessary. So, thanks again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    WOW...what an attitude! Maybe you should cut back on the coffee, or get some more sleep? Are you actually saying that you don't want potential new customers walking in your door? That you actually WANT to pass up an opportunity to lock in a customer who is obviously unhappy with the service he or she received elsewhere?

WOW.
    Hahaha...it is probably the sleep thing. I do not mean to offend others, as I do whatever I can to keep customers and help new ones. Whether it be a quick adjustment, repaire, or even cleaning. My fee is usually to have them consider us as their next purchase and give out a few or our cards to their friends who need our services in the future and if they have time I show them around and let them know about the current sale.

I believe what sparked this post was the fact that I know a few customers that are lying straight to my face, and I know, because I know them from other opticals. Maybe it was a bad experience from another optical. So I am probably thinking up scenarios and just making random thoughts and emotions for no reason. I think I need to get a hobby.

It's just one of those random thoughts I wonder about that pop into my head.
    Last edited by elaneo; 08-17-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nittfox77 View Post
    as a newbie to the board, I have to thank you for saying this. Not because I agree with the sentiment, but because it is situations and opinions like yours that allow me to set a meaningful dialogue with new patients, and retain them as my patients. I recognize that it's irritating to hear the "true stories" of how glasses get damaged, and yeah, most of us know that the real reason is carelessness, but those people, those irritants? Lifesblood of our industry. So, while they're out of line, they're absolutely necessary. So, thanks again.
    Welcome to Optiboard!!!

I am new as well. It is really refreshing to have this resource as it helps mature you and grow as a vision care provider. I've learned many things in the forums and this site actually increases my thirst for knowledge.

Don't be afraid to ask questions! Any question, is a good question. We all start at the bottom. (I am still there, so it is awesome to have all those experienced in the field giving tough love and feedback)

Enjoy and ask question!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeguy21 View Post
    With a question like this your bound to get a lot of buttkiss replies here. I work with 25 other opticians and while their on the field their all complaining about the same things you are. But then when it comes to our monthly meetings they all sound like Jana. I'm definitely not slamming anyone I'm simply giving you what you asked for which is a sampling of how things go at "other opticals." At the end of the day you can simply chalk it up to human nature. People are fickle and therefore much more likely to complain about poor service or subpar workmanship to everyone but the place they got them from. I used to teach an orientation class for a large optical chain designed to get new opticians a basic understanding of everything optical along with all the intricacies of day to day business and one of the things we taught them is that a happy customer will on average tell 5 people about their experience while a dissatisfied customer will tell 20.

In the end the employer I work for now wants to give away every service we provide that doesn't directly involve selling frames, lenses, complete pairs of glasses and a few accessories, so basically I put on my best smile and do whatever they ask me but for every one loyal customer I get for providing these free of charge services for I get many many more that just keep buying their glasses from the Walmart down the street or some even worse optical shop only to return here to have us check the glasses, adjust them, replace worn the worn nosepads etc over and over again. It's just the way it goes.

"i'm not slamming anybody" ....ummm Thanks for the "buttkiss" comment. *eyesroll*

Let me just say this. I am have a JOB. I am paid WELL at said JOB because I offer a service to people that MAY OR MAY NOT spend money ( I'll take the risk ). I am not a corporate person, and I am not some paid optical dolt that is not educated and calls themselves an "Optician" either. I am highly trained and highly service oriented. Oh, and I also LIKE my job! I enjoy the patients ( yeah even the liars and the cheapies ) Imagine that?

If that makes me a "buttkiss" so be it.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    "i'm not slamming anybody" ....ummm Thanks for the "buttkiss" comment. *eyesroll*

Let me just say this. I am have a JOB. I am paid WELL at said JOB because I offer a service to people that MAY OR MAY NOT spend money ( I'll take the risk ). I am not a corporate person, and I am not some paid optical dolt that is not educated and calls themselves an "Optician" either. I am highly trained and highly service oriented. Oh, and I also LIKE my job! I enjoy the patients ( yeah even the liars and the cheapies ) Imagine that?

If that makes me a "buttkiss" so be it.

Look, I'm not going to get into some long drawn out knock-down issue with a fellow "educated" optician. But I will say this, the buttkiss response is a well merited one. If you've been an optician for any length of time and can honestly say you've never run into an optician experiencing burnout you're really lucky. That's all I'm saying. We all like our jobs, we all like being well paid and we all like our patients. I do care about the "cheapies" but can honestly say I don't care for the liars. Like I said earlier we have regular Optician meetings with "guests" and such (usually vendors) and it's always the most vocal, over-the-top, all about customer service, Opticians that are the ones that are the best at "patient avoidance."

If you want to take what I said out of context that's your business. As previously stated, I'm not slamming you or anybody else. I simply don't know anything about you so my comment was in regards to your post here. If you expect me to believe that you love your job so much that you never have a bad experience well it's probably not going to happen even though (and I know this is hard to believe) I'm sure you're a good optician. Dare I say it? Yes I'll say it. It's possible to be a good optician and very helpful, with a loyal customer base and everything and still have some things that aggrivate you about your job, which seems to be the point of this thread as I read it anyways.

And by the way we give away bottles of cleaner with our name on it too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And by the way we give away bottles of cleaner with our name on it too.
    well...nyah,nyah...nyah.

Please.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You buttkissers!

Seriously, though; when servicing materials that were not provided by you, and great customer satisfaction results, what part of the equation is "free"?

In other words, if they had to pay a fee, would they still be satisfied?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    well...nyah,nyah...nyah.

Please.
    That's better, now you sound more like the cackling hens I deal with around here. What's next the "Nanny nanny boo boo" defense?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    [QUOTE=elaneo;355686]What do you tell those coming from other opticals?[/QUOTE]

So pleased to have an opportunity to be of service. Glad i could help, here's my card.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello my name is Coco and I am a buttkisser.

There are two kinds of employees in my experience, those who understand that helping the business prosper is in their best interest and those who do not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Hello my name is Coco and I am a buttkisser.

There are two kinds of employees in my experience, those who understand that helping the business prosper is in their best interest and those who do not.
    I agree with this statement. Though I take it as if you are indirectly grouping me with one that does not care about the employer's business. It is quite the opposite, I do my best in trying to please the customer and my employer.

I am there to work.
    I am there to advertise.
    I am there to do my best and help those in need of my assisstance.
    I am not there to show my emotions and drive customers out

I clarified myself afterward. I am all for the best service possible, I am not perfect, but try to help in any way I can.
    My main beef is that they lie to me when it does not matter to me where they came from, I would help you regardless.

All I ask is for the truth. I don't know anyone that enjoys being lied to, so why accept these little white lies when they don't need to?...Like I said, I will help them either way, but like the saying goes, honesty is the best policy. That way they don't have to "worry" about telling the "truth", unless they think compulsive lying is the way to go

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeguy21 View Post
    That's better, now you sound more like the cackling hens I deal with around here. What's next the "Nanny nanny boo boo" defense?
    I appreciate your first comment to the thread eyeguy21. It is nice to know that there are those that feel the same.
    Like I said...I am all for service, no matter where the glasses are from or whatever the problem, but the least I ask for is the truth. Is that so much to ask from someone?
    How hard is it to tell me that you jumped into a lake with your glasses on and need an adjustment (in that case, it was 2 pairs)
    I think I've stressed my point enough.

I am just replying to this comment because there is no need for this kind of comment in the thread. We all have our professional opinions, but I see no need for bickering amongst us professionals, on this simple topic.

I repect all opinions given by anyone here and will question them as well. That is why I love this resource, because it is great for us novices.

No need for personal attacks though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    You buttkissers!

Seriously, though; when servicing materials that were not provided by you, and great customer satisfaction results, what part of the equation is "free"?

In other words, if they had to pay a fee, would they still be satisfied?
    The part that is "free" in the equation is our service (In some people's eyes)

drk, I truly believe it depends on the establishment and what the service is.
    solder/temple replacement/nosepads/extraction of a screw/nosepad or eyewire screw replacement/putting a lens back into the frame/AR stripping/neutralizing
    (e.g. I would never think about charging for a screw...even when people still ask "how much?")

As for the customer experience, I believe that depends on the optician AND what the consumer/patient believes SHOULD be free/cost X amount.
    Perception of certain things and reinforcement of this perceived value is what I believe that makes some people surprised at prices of glasses or our services.

After all...no one bargains or expects free service/cleaning for their teeth by a dentist.
    I don't get a free watch battery from a shop when I need it serviced.
    These cases may be different (especially the watch battery), but they are still goods and services provided.

I am not saying I charge for the simpler repairs, but it is because of this that I sometimes get the reaction I do when say charging for a solder.
    If a shop is going to service anything and everything for no charge, it is probably best to consider the parts under the advertising budget.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love the pts who are vacationing here, want to order glasses, and then whine when they find out the turnaround is up to 10 business days.

seriously?? You obviously don't need them immediately or you would have gone to a shop with onsite lab.... why don't you order glasses when you GET HOME and can actually pick them up???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Although I love adjustment customers from other opticals. Why? Well, first, there's obviously a problem with the other optical (whether it be convenience, wait time, lack of skill.. there's a reason they're at my shop); second, I love doing adjustments -- best part of the job for me, especially when the first words out of pt's mouth are "I have broken glasses" and they find out otherwise; third, these customers are likely to appreciate my skill and willingness to help them out DESPITE not dropping any money in my shop... which increases the likelihood of them returning for a purchase.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I ask is for the truth. I don't know anyone that enjoys being lied to, so why accept these little white lies when they don't need to?...Like I said, I will help them either way, but like the saying goes, honesty is the best policy. That way they don't have to "worry" about telling the "truth", unless they think compulsive lying is the way to go
    I'm an honest person as well elneo but many people simply find it easier to tell a little fib. Consider it a source of amusement.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To all ECPs.......

BEFORE you touch a patients medical device produced elsewhere:
    1 Ask for permission. We have had eyewear mangled by places because the glasses were whisked away by staff during eye exams. They were received back bent, scratched and modified, and in some cases....broken.
    2. CLEAN YOUR LENSOMETER STOPS!!!!. Again, during followup fields, etc. NEW glasses were whisked away from clients and nice scratches were deposited on new lenses when put in lensometers.
    3. Some practices think they're doing a favor by cleaning the glasses of spouses, relatives, children. We have spent hours fixing well-meaning, or office policy "adjustments" by staff from other places. The list includes: WRONG screw type and length used. broken hinges, chipped, scratched lenses, plier marks, stones missing-some precious.
    4. Realize you may be voiding some warranties by your well meaning intentions, especially with acetone near poly, and some frame finishes. A lens replacement also may void a frame warranty, especially if it is a traced,stretched shape!
    5. New aftermarket nosepads.....if you don't have original factory replacements, at least match the size and material!
    6. Revisit your office policy. You are not winning customers by doing this for free, you are merely pointing out to the person the reason they didn't buy them from you in the first place.....competence. There is a difference between emergency assistance, and well meaning refitting/favors/We rock maintainance.

P.S. Do not try the glasses on.......because you really,reaally like them!
    Last edited by uncut; 08-18-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spell

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I agree with this statement. Though I take it as if you are indirectly grouping me with one that does not care about the employer's business. It is quite the opposite, I do my best in trying to please the customer and my employer.

I am there to work.
    I am there to advertise.
    I am there to do my best and help those in need of my assisstance.
    I am not there to show my emotions and drive customers out

I clarified myself afterward. I am all for the best service possible, I am not perfect, but try to help in any way I can.
    My main beef is that they lie to me when it does not matter to me where they came from, I would help you regardless.

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
    Sorry, but that response was required by law.:cheers::bbg::cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    BEFORE you touch a patients medical device produced elsewhere:
    1 Ask for permission. We have had eyewear mangled by places because the glasses were whisked away by staff during eye exams. They were received back bent, scratched and modified, and in some cases....broken.
    2. CLEAN YOUR LENSOMETER STOPS!!!!. Again, during followup fields, etc. NEW glasses were whisked away from clients and nice scratches were deposited on new lenses when put in lensometers.
    3. Some practices think they're doing a favor by cleaning the glasses of spouses, relatives, children. We have spent hours fixing well-meaning, or office policy "adjustments" by staff from other places. The list includes: WRONG screw type and length used. broken hinges, chipped, scratched lenses, plier marks, stones missing-some precious.
    4. Realize you may be voiding some warranties by your well meaning intentions, especially with acetone near poly, and some frame finishes. A lens replacement also may void a frame warranty, especially if it is a traced,stretched shape!
    5. New aftermarket nosepads.....if you don't have original factory replacements, at least match the size and material!
    6. Revisit your office policy. You are not winning customers by doing this for free, you are merely pointing out to the person the reason they didn't buy them from you in the first place.....competence. There is a difference between emergency assistance, and well meaning refitting/favors/We rock maintainance.

P.S. Do not try the glasses on.......because you really,reaally like them!
    Wow. You have issues, not to mention an appalling lack of faith in your fellow optician. I will warn before an adjustment on a sat-on pair of glasses. i am not going to warn before a neutralization or screw tightening, etc... because I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by misslindsay View Post
    I will warn before an adjustment on a sat-on pair of glasses. i am not going to warn before a neutralization or screw tightening, etc... because I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.
    Unfortunately you cannot assume that everyone does. Don't take it personal.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I appreciate your first comment to the thread eyeguy21. It is nice to know that there are those that feel the same.
    Like I said...I am all for service, no matter where the glasses are from or whatever the problem, but the least I ask for is the truth. Is that so much to ask from someone?
    How hard is it to tell me that you jumped into a lake with your glasses on and need an adjustment (in that case, it was 2 pairs)
    I think I've stressed my point enough.

I am just replying to this comment because there is no need for this kind of comment in the thread. We all have our professional opinions, but I see no need for bickering amongst us professionals, on this simple topic.

I repect all opinions given by anyone here and will question them as well. That is why I love this resource, because it is great for us novices.

No need for personal attacks though.
    In some ways I agree. It's less bickering for me and more pointing out the obvious. We've all worked with that optician that's full of opinions on the way things ought to be and how much better they can do things than everyone else. They spout off about the great customer service they provide and how they can increase the bottom line and on an on. But in reality what they do is turn their backs when a customer walks in and do some unnecessary cleaning or they bury their face in some VSP paperwork that can wait. I just live in the real world and call 'em like I see 'em. I put on my smile for whomever walks in my door or whatever their circumstance may be just like most opticians. I always do my best to try and fix their problem and I ultimately try to make as much money as possible for my employer just like most opticians. When I said I wasn't slamming anybody that's what I meant. If your in this business long enough you'll realize it isn't all fluffy bunnies and happiness and that's ok. It's ok to have a bad day or get irritated by some of the stuff we deal with. Frankly, I'm a little irritated with all of the insecurity right now but that's another story.
    Last edited by eyeguy21; 08-18-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Thread Information