Thread: "I quit!" Stories from the world of optics...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"I quit!" Stories from the world of optics...

With the Jet Blue guys meltdown the other day (can you relate!) I was wondering if we have any "Take this job and stick it" funny or strange stories out there?

Anyone?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-12-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: tweak...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    edkendance posted this on FB. I do not know if it is true, but pretty funny. Warning, it includes some light, crude stuff

http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-quits-her-job-on-dry-erase-board-emails-entire-office-33-photos/

Nothing interesting where I worked. I never burn bridges, but have known people who have. Mostly just by being jerks their last couple of days.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for a drug-store chain based optical center for about a week and decided that it just wasn't going to work. I called my boss, who was also a co-worker, to quit and she said that I was not allowed to just quit, I had to give 2 weeks notice.

If I couldn't stand 1 week of it, why on earth would I stay another 2??? I definitely didn't need it for my resume.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    edkendance posted this on FB. I do not know if it is true, but pretty funny. Warning, it includes some light, crude stuff

http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-quits-her-job-on-dry-erase-board-emails-entire-office-33-photos/
    I heard about that one on the radio yesterday! Those pictures are funny! Good for her; that took guts.

I've never just up and quit (though I've wanted to countless times), especially without having another job waiting for me. I did get "fired" from my last job, when I tried to turn in my letter of resignation. My boss there was just a hot-head and wasn't expecting me to (ever?) leave. His display of immaturity while I gathered my things reinforced my feeling that this was the time to get out!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    These pictures are brilliant! Even if the ending was a bit too realistic….

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I quit one job. I worked for Monfried Optical for a year or so. One night I was working till 7:30, when my wife called me up just before 7:00 to tell me the kitchen ceiling in the apartment we rented was bulging down three or four feet and was leaking water. I told my coworker that I had to sign out and leave due to an emergency. I got home, and sure enough the ceiling had drooped down to the level of the countertops, then it suddenly let go resulting in a deluge of dirty water,wallboard and rat crap all over the floor of the kitchen. Fortunately, we had moved all the utensils and food out of there before it let go. It took us all night to clean it up and we had the city inspector come over and he condemned the apartment, breaking our lease (the lawsuit over that is another story). So the next day we started packing to move and when I went to work for my shift, the manager started giving me a hard time about signing out 30 minutes early. When told of the emergency, she told me "If your home life is more important than your work life, maybe you should just go." Took me three seconds to reach the door. Luckily, I had gotten along really well with the Regional Manager, as he had used me to run a couple stores solo while the optician there went on vacation. Since we were under orders to NOT have any overtime, and the store manager ALWAYS put herself in for OT, I was able to prove that she was not only not present for her 40 hours, she was taking a couple of hours a day to go off and boink her boyfriend, while submitting reports that she worked OT for those several hours a day.
    Got her butt fired.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That's awesome! I knew it was fake but it's cool of them to do an ending.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Too bad it is fake. I think she should have never said anything. When I watch a magic show, I know it is fake, but I ignore it and enjoy the show. Who wants to hear the person tell you the results?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Too bad it is fake. I think she should have never said anything. When I watch a magic show, I know it is fake, but I ignore it and enjoy the show. Who wants to hear the person tell you the results?

I like Penn and Teller. What can I say?

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awww, bummer. Is The Chive a competitor of The Onion??
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Thread Information