Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Essilor Has Purchased and Now Owns (Insert Company Name Here)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Essilor Has Purchased and Now Owns (Insert Company Name Here)

I wanted to start a thread that lists all the companies that Essilor has purchased over the years. Since they own so many, it may be a long thread. I am not doing this to bash Essilor (there is room in other threads for that) but to provide a reference and remember a few great optical names that otherwise would fall into oblivion.

Dates are all also helpful.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Essilor Has Purchases and Now Owns (Insert Company Name Here)

I wanted to start a thread that lists all the optical companies (labs, retailers, manufactures and others) that Essilor has purchased through the years. I am not doing this to bash the evil empire, but to create a reference of once great optical companies that will slowly sail into oblivion as the Borg absorbs them into the collective. This is a memorial of sorts.

May they rest in peace.
    (Company name, Type of Business, City, and Year are all helpful)

Example:
    Pech Optical Corp., Optical Lab, Sioux City Iowa, Purchased 2007 (new tag line: "Owned by Essilor... just like you")

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It would be a shorter list if you named the companies they don't own.

Occupation
    Signet Armorlite, KBCo, Specialty Lens Corp, Gentex, Nassau Vision, Shore Lens, 49% of Transitions Optical, Frames Direct.

Here's the ELOA map of the labs that they have aquired: http://eloa.com/Network/
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Rumour mill around St. Cloud MN is that Eyekraft is selling out to the Big E.

Occupation
    Sounds right :( I thought E owned all of st. Cloud, that's why I didn't locate there.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Almost, but not all LOL.

They don't own whatever 'Midwest Vision' is calling themselves these days, EPIC is still independent (I think), and of course moi. I think EPIC and Aura are too small to be of any interest to the big E.

Occupation
    Epic was recently sold to E. I watch them closely as they are my main competition.

I had forgotten about Midwest, haven't heard about them in years.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Wow, that *does* narrow the field quite a bit, doesn't it?

It troubles me somewhat to see almost every lab facility in this comparably small town (albeit pop around 80k) owned by one company. I wonder at what point it becomes an issue for the FTC to look into?

On the plus side, when they come into a facility, every machine that does not meet their specification is scrapped out (not sold for parts or elsewhere, but scrapped). I've made a deal with the local scrap yard that everytime one of their local labs gets rid of equipment, I get first shot at it before it goes into the shredder or compactor.

I got an almost-new Coburn 302 lap cutter for $125 (cast iron scrap weight). Cost another $125 for the local machinery movers to bring it over to my lab. So, I've got a $3k plus machine on the books for $250.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As far as I know Myrel Newman still owns Midwest (he bought it back a few years back) Vision. I started my optical career with that company. To add to the Essilor owns list, here in AZ they own Meridian Labs, Aspen Optical, Bristow Optical all in Phoenix with one small Tucson outlet for Bristow.
    I came, I saw, I left

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Yes he does. I'm surprised that Aspen sold out though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Pech Optical Inc., Optical Lab, Souix City Iowa, 2007 (new Tagline: "Owned by Essilor... just like you")

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think this is a great place to put "your mamma" in that sentence!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Charenton-le-Pont, France (January 22, 2010 – 6:30 a.m.)
    – Essilor International has signed ten acquisition or partnership agreements in its five global operating regions since October 2009. These companies generate combined annual revenue of around €35 million.

Two transactions in Europe to strengthen the multi-network strategy

In France, Novisia, an Essilor subsidiary and the exclusive distributor of Nikon lenses in continental Europe, has acquired a majority stake in
    Mont-Royal, a lens distributor with a prescription laboratory in Goeztenbruck, in the Lorraine region, and annual revenue of around €10 million. The acquisition will strengthen Mont-Royal’s market presence while helping to speed Novisia’s development in France.

In the UK, the Company has acquired a 95% equity interest in
    Horizon, a laboratory located in
    Bedfordshire, north of London, with annual revenue of €3.4 million.

Three transactions in North America to broaden the geographical coverage of the prescription
    laboratory network

In the United States, Essilor has increased its market share by acquiring a majority or all the interest in
    three prescription laboratories:
    Ultimate Optical in Florida, with $6.3 million in annual revenue, Optical Dimensions in Michigan, with $3.7 million in annual revenue, and Truckee Meadows Optical in Nevada, with $3 million in annual revenue.

A third transaction in Latin America

Following its equity investments in the Unilab and Technopark prescription laboratories, the Company
    has acquired a 51% stake in
    GBO, a major distributor of finished and semi-finished lenses in Sao Paolo with 2009 revenue of approximately €3 million.
    2 / 2

Two transactions in China and India to strengthen Essilor’s local market presence

Essilor is expanding its coverage of the Chinese market with the acquisition of an ophthalmic lens
    manufacturer,
    Danyang ILT Optics Co. Ltd. The company generates revenue of nearly €7 million in the
    domestic and export markets.
    In India, Essilor has acquired
    Lens and Spects (€0.45 million in revenue), which comprises a distributor
    and two prescription laboratories operating in four cities in western India.

Two transactions in the Middle East and Africa to drive growth in new regions

Following its acquisition of an equity interest in Dubai-based Amico, Essilor is pursuing its development in the Middle East. Essilor Amico Middle East FZCo has acquired a majority stake in
    Ghanada Optical Co. LLC (€1.7 million in revenue), a prescription laboratory located in Abu Dhabi that serves the United Arab Emirates and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
    Essilor is strengthening its positions in South Africa with the acquisition of
    Vision Optics (€0.7 million in revenue), a prescription laboratory based in Durban.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aspen sold as a "partner" lab a few years back, 5-6 I believe.
    I came, I saw, I left

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    From the latest on line edition of Vision Monday:

Essilor Reports More North America Acquisitions in First-Half Financial Report

August 27, 2010 8:30 AM

CHARENTON-LE-PONT, France—Essilor International [ISIN: FR0000121667] continued its acquisition pace in all international regions this year and announced several more in North America during the release of the company's first half financial results earlier today.

In the U.S., the company reported that Essilor of America (EOA) acquired a stake in Epic Labs in Minnesota ($3 million in revenue) and also acquired the assets of Custom Optical in Georgia ($2.5 million in revenue). Since July 1, the company noted, Nikon Optical U.S., a Nikon-Essilor subsidiary, acquired a majority interest in Colorado-based Pasch, which generates $3.9 million in revenue. And EOA acquired a majority stake in Gulf States, a prescription laboratory based in Louisiana that generates $3 million in revenue.

In Canada, Essilor acquired a majority stake in Cascade, a prescription laboratory in the province of British Columbia (C$6 million), and in Econo-Optic, a laboratory based in New Brunswick (C$0.7 million).

Essilor reiterated, as previously reported by VMail, that during the first half of 2010, the company acquired or increased its holding in 13 companies, representing additional revenue of around €80 million. Transactions were carried out in all regions including the acquisition by EOA of a stake in Hawkins Lab in Kansas and Nikon-Essilor's stake in Encore Rx Lab in Connecticut as well as acquisitions or majority stakes of laboratories in Brazil, China, Singapore, United Arab Emirates and Australia.

Also, as previously reported, in its equipment division, Essilor acquired a 60 percent interest in DAC Vision, a leading manufacturer of consumable supplies. And since the start of the year, Essilor acquired FGX International and Signet Armorlite.

On Aug. 9, as reported, Essilor sold its long-standing 15 percent stake in Sperian Protection to Honeywell. The asset’s net realizable value is estimated at nearly €132 million. The consolidated capital gain from the sale (estimated at approximately €27 million) will be recognized in the company’s second-half 2010 accounts, Essilor said.

For the first half, Essilor reported that its total revenues rose 15.8 percent to €1,926.8 million in first-half 2010. Excluding FGXI and Signet, revenue growth stood at 10 percent for the period.

The company cited increased sales volumes in all regions. In Europe, sales progressed by 1.4 percent like-for-like, in Asia like-for-like growth of 8 percent was led by emerging markets, and sales in South America rose 16.6 percent.

The company noted that "growth leveled off in North America, up 1.0 percent in comparable or like-for-like sales. The company cited increased sales of Xperio polarized lenses but noted "operating problems affected performance in Canada."

Essilor's profit attributable to equity holders of Essilor International was down 1.3 percent to €197.5 million. Excluding the BKA provision, attributable profit rose 19.3 percent to €238.8 million. The BKA provision is a €41.5 million provision set aside for the fine imposed by Germany's competition authorities, the Bundeskartellamt (BKA). Essilor has lodged two appeals against the BKA’s decision

I'm regretting taking German in high school and college, should have taken French.:hammer:

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    criminey

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    criminey
    Ditto

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Our "famous" (well, perhaps in her own mind ;) ) District 6 Rep Michelle "Don't Call me a Fascist" Bachmann is holding a roundtable discussion for Medical Device mfgrs in St. Cloud next week. I think I'll bring this up that Essilor now owns and/or controls better than 80% of the lens surfacing operations in St. Cloud and see what happens.

Occupation
    I talked to our congressman (Tim Walz) about it some time ago. He had a very interesting answer "DUH??" Maybe I should contact Al Franken's office, he seems to want to make a name for himself.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    They own Nassau now, shame I used to buy from them all of the time too....no more.

http://www.essilorusa.com/About+Us/N...sion+Group.htm

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I love the statement "You are probably already wearing Essilor lenses".

No, I am not. I wear glass bifocal lenses made by X-Cel Optical and surfaced by me. (sticks tongue out and blows rasberry...)

Occupation
    Mine are almost all Franklins made with either X-cel or Vision-ease blanks. I have a pair of Drivewear from Younger and a pair of freeform progressives that were FREE and made with who-knows-what. Also a pair of GLASS polaroids from Vision-ease

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We at Wal-Mart sell Essilor as Nikon . I know they own the brand name. We sell the Nikon Customized which is the accolade freedom.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    There are still independent owned labs in the US See the list http://www.opticalvisionresources.co...ries-surfacing. Not listed every Zeiss Lab, Every Hoya Lab, Every Essilor owned lab., Probably what else is missing is the independent retail and wholesale lab.

Thread Information