Thread: Adjustments

OptiBoard Apprentice

Blue Jumper

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels like I do about doing adjustments on other people's frames (OPF)? Yesterday I kept a little log of how many adjustments I did on frames we carry v. OPF. The result made me see all the colors of the spectrum. I am not allowed to charge for adjustments (a whole different mess) but anyone can come in for a FREE adjustment, repair or cleaning. Of course, these people who come in won't be back to get any replacement eyewear here - no matter how good the selection or service. I just wondered how many folks have to deal with this and if there are any suggestions on how to deal with this type of "customer".

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hi Rhonda,
    I always thought nothing is free, I guess that doesn't hold true in our business.
    My own thoughts on this is by ofering this free adjustments and cleaning you're building a clientelle, if they like the service they may eventually purchase glasses from you. I know when I purchase just about anything price is very important, but I'm always willing to pay a little more if I know I'll get better service, it's a trust I build in a certain company or store that makes me feel more comfortable to deal with them.
    Rich R

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Originally posted by Rich R:
    Hi Rhonda,
    I always thought nothing is free, I guess that doesn't hold true in our business.
    Rich R
    Somebody has to do the repairs and adjustments, and unless you're really lucky they'll expect to be paid. The money to pay them has to come from somewhere. So, you inflate the price of your products, or take a cut in pay yourself, or devise some other plan. Whichever method you choose costs someone in some way - just not the person having the repair done.
    Can you imagine a Ford dealer offering to repair your Hyundai free of charge, in the hope that you will one day buy a Ford? You just might, but how many people would continue driving the Hyundai when repairs are free?
    Add on to that the fact that when you adjust a POF, if something happens you may be held responsible - even if you warn the person otherwise. Then, when their 10 year old frame with borrowed temples and 75% corrosion falls apart in your hands, you have to replace it with a frame off your shelf.
    Fortunately, I don't get paid to make those kinds of economic decisions where I work...

Blake

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is no set policy in our office on this. Its a matter of discretion and should be. If you think there is a chance for a potential customer to be earned, go ahead and do it for free, hoping the good will will eventually pay off. If you think its the something for nothing person or you just don't see any real potential (ex. dirtbag)then say that there is a nominal fee for the service. Why should it be free?If they don't want to pay the fee, they just told you what they thought it was worth-nothing, then don't do it, they just told you it wasn't worth it to do.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

TRUE STORY. We did a repair for a woman last year for free and she was very grateful. Her husband had a new Rx and she recommend us.
    P.S. He has purchased 97 pairs of glasses (at last count) and has spent over 25,000 in my store in one year, because of that free screw.
    Now having told that true story. I still feel we should all charge every person who walks in the door for our professional services.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    That's got to be the greatest "sales story" in the history of eyeglass sales! Ataboy!

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Yes Rhonda I can feel your pain!!!!!!!! It is absolutely amazing I agree. We have been raising money for Prevent Blindness so I have been telling them the service is free but we would appreciate a donation. After all it IS a great cause and the service is FREE! You would be amazed also at how many just keep walking as if I said "no charge". All they care about is the service is free part. Of course some are very generous(especially when I am standing right over them waiting my donation)Some of the toughest customers I have noticed are not even mine. It makes you mad because your time is worth something. I don't know I just feel that I am spending so much time working or adjusting this difficult customer who is not even mine that I may be losing someone who is mine. Just some of my thoughts.
    Have a great day!!!!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Way to go eyedude!!!!! What a great story. Now I have had people come back for their glasses(very,very,very rarely),but that is the best story I have ever heard!!!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

We are a mall store, so yes, we're gonna get lots of "I'm not sure where I got it" frames, especially after 6pm or on the weekend when most of the independents have gone home. I don't mind adjusting/repairing frames when the patient will allow me to take care of my paying patients first... selling or dispensing especially. When I get someone who loudly complains, "I been waiting a long time over here", I ask just as loudly if I can look up their records to check their warranty, etc, so that my patients can understand that they come first. Then, if the "who knows where it came from" patient sticks around, I cheerfully fix/adjust/advise them and take the opportunity to acquaint them with our services. I have had many, many people return to purchase saying "you fixed my/wife's/mom's glasses for free and you made them fit better than they ever had", etc. The Pollyanna in me figures it'll work out someday. (I DO mind when a competing company sends a new employee to me with a frame to fix, for free. If it's fixable, the patient can bring the frame over themselves for a repair and a complimentary adjustment.)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i'm sorry you guys, but not charging for minor repairs on glasses that were not bought in your office is a terrible mistake, in my humble opinion. i charge $5.00 for minor repairs. i do not charge for simple adjustments. i let the person know this before i even touch their glasses. i do not charge people who purchased their glasses from us. when i sell a pair of glasses, i take care of that customers glasses for as long as they wear them.

i have simply gotten tired of doing everything for free. enevitably, everytime i do a minor repair on someone's glasses they want to take my time (money) talking to me for 15-20 minutes about their ocular history that doesn't have relation to what i am doing for them. my doctor is fully supportive on this issue and we have fully benefited from it. i have only had 2 people in 2 years hesitate at paying for minor repairs. i have also gained several regular customers and sold many pairs of glasses as a result. the usual response to my charge is..."that's cheap enough!"

i also charge for nosepad replacements. i charge $5.00 for new nosepads unless the glasses were purchased from me. do you get new tires on your car for free? think about it. i keep a full supply of several diffent types of nosepads.

please, guys....quit doing stuff for free!! we have set a horrible precedent. but i refuse to work for nothing. if i have to work for nothing i'll stay at home.

my 2 cents,
    heathbar

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Eyez53's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also seem to spend a lot of time adjusting specs that were purchased elsewhere. Usually I don't charge unless it is for a replacement part ( i.e. nosepads) but some of these guys really mangle their specs and since I am "handy", they come to me for service but not to purchase. What I realy hate is when they come to our office for an exam, go to BJ's or the like to buy the specs, have problems and I am expected to trouble-shoot and try to correct the problems!! My doctor won't let me charge for the service even if it takes time away from the paying patients. Am I crazy to be bothered by this?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

I don't make a habit of charging for minor adjustments ...BUT... If my retail area has any potential eyewear purchasing clients in it, the Other Peoples Frames (OPF) person must wait as I dedicate my services to purchasing clients. I suggest OPF folks to leave the eyewear and pick them up another time. If they wish to stay, I advise them that they may have to wait until I am finished servicing our existing clients eyewear needs.

I love these opportunities since I can exhibit extraordinary service and bend over backwards, perhaps handing my loyal client a 1oz bottle of lens kleener upon completion of their comprehensive adjustment. The OPF person then realizes where they "SHOULD HAVE" purchased their eyewear.

They are coming to you for service because the service provided where they purchased their eyewear may be substandard or inconvienent. However, be very careful in dealing with these OPF people because they will parrot your comments (lenses are cut too small, frame is cheap, RX is wrong, etc.) to the OPF retailer and you become involved in something you certainly didn't bargain for.
    These folks are looking for a FREE professional opinion as an excuse for thier purchasing ignorance.

Problems take time & time is money. They may have initially saved a few sheckles from the place up the road but in the long run they will realize it cost them more.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yes, Kevin I completely agree with you about not involving yourself in someone else's mistake. I have done that one time too many and finally made a rule to myself not to do it anymore. One thing I will do however is point out something like a chipped lens so that I can't be accused of chipping or breaking something that came in broken. People try to bring in broken frames all the time trying to make it your problem as if you did it and try to get something for nothing. Gotta CYA!!!!!!!
    Have a great day!!
    Steph

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

in our shop, we cheerfully replace screws, nosepads etc for free, but if they need soldering, we send the job away, and charge a nominal fee (about £5). The service takes a week, so this means they have to come in twice. We have a floorwalker employed, who chats to all the customers, and is brilliant at her job, thus building up rapport with them. Plus, we have their details on computer so we can document the job, so we send them leaflets, offers etc. They then think we are their opticians, and come in to be tested. Believe it or not, this works a treat!

Thread Information