Thread: Relocating to Florida

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Relocating to Florida

I am a Certified Optician in Louisiana. I am relocating to central Florida in January however if the offer is good I am not against moving earlier. I have a resume available upon request. I am looking for a full time position. Please contact me if you are interested. Thanks you.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Howdy..
    Hope this helps...
    Moved to FL from Tx 4yrs ago, and was a Certified Optician there too. I found out quickly that I need the FL Licenses here to be reasonably compensated...
    My recommendation, if you don't have the FL Lics. Get in contact with the board asap, and work towards securing the Lic....
    Here is the link, I wish I had the guidance before I moved, I may have been further along..
    Best of luck...
    State http://ww2.doh.state.fl.us/mqaservices/mqa_index.asp

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As Florida is a licensed state you will want to get your Florida license as soon as possible. The exams are only held twice a year, so don't wait too long to apply. You will need current ABO and NCLE along with a few other requirements.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been in Florida since 1993 (as the name EyeManFla would suggest). After 17 years here, I've decided to MOVE BACK NORTH! Good luck..............
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am ABOC but not NCLE. I am studying for NCLE but I have no way to train at my office for hands on. I was recently certified so I don't have the 3 years yet. But I do intend on getting my associates degree in Opticianry at Hillsborough CC.

Thanks for all the help and I wish you the best of luck moving back north eyeman!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have my AS Degree and I'm ABO/NCLE Certified. I'm in Texas rightnow, and would like to move to FL in the future. What are the License requirements in FL? What do you need to study inorder to pass the License exam? I would really appreciate study tips from people who're currently licensed in FL. Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mjacob View Post
    I have my AS Degree and I'm ABO/NCLE Certified. I'm in Texas rightnow, and would like to move to FL in the future. What are the License requirements in FL? What do you need to study inorder to pass the License exam? I would really appreciate study tips from people who're currently licensed in FL. Thanks.
    Start your search here:

http://www.oaa.org/index.php?id=61

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Call these folks and get to know them!

http://www.pof.org/

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Future Floridians,

I moved here from Boston in 1995/96 (over the New Year Holiday!), there are still opportunities for Licensed Opticians here. The link to the licensing board will give you all the info you need.

gatorbait, I teach at HCC...are you enrolling in our program this January? Please let me know if I can answer any questions about our program... Time in the opticianry program here also yields apprenticeship hours, every OPT college credit equals 87,.something hours towards apprenticehip in Florida, sometimes we get 'hybrid students' who combine hours.

Mary, you will be eligible to sit for the boards, the next round will be this spring, likely in March. The boards have written and hands-on portions, too much to type here,... I would definitely contact our professional organization, www.pof.org and find out where/when they offer state board reviews.

: )

Laurie
    Last edited by Laurie; 10-28-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: duplicate sig!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Fezz/Laurie. I really appreciate your help. I went through the site. For the written portion, do i need to review my ABO/NCLE notes??? Has anyone taken FL license exam before???

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In order to take the FL State Board exam, you must currently be ABO & NCLE certified first. If you're not currently NCLE certified, then you must pass it before taking the state board exam. Also, coming from a non-licensed state, you must be able to prove you have at least 5 years work experience as an Optician (ex. Tax records, notarized statement from employer, etc.) I suggest contacting the FL State Board of Opticianry office at (850) 245-4474 & ask to speak to Sharon. However, if you're planning on attending HCC's Opticianry program, it will prepare you well for the NCLE & State Board. Hope this helps. =)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    gatorbait...all above is good advise and true...Be aware that there are more licensed opticians now than there are jobs. Good to have your state license if you can find a job...You have heard the expression of "supply and demand". Lots of supply and very limited demand. Twice a year, the state of Florida is allowing any number of people to write the exam. The state has no cap on the number of people that want to take the exam. IMHO

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    nnms11 brings up a most valid point. Not only is there what I would call a "glut" of LDOs in this state, but with opticials closing left and right, you are going to have A LOT of competition in the job market. Having said that, it also dpends on WHERE in Florida you are planning to relocate.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EyeManFla....you are correct...I did forget to mention that in the Tampa and Miami-Dade areas there are the Optical Colleges. These surrounding areas have an over abundance of Licensed Opticians and thus very few job opportunities...sure not what is was a few years ago. I would certainly reconsider before going back to school or even relocating in these areas.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am sitting for the Florida Board 10/11/11. I am ga. licensed. I am taking the test "blind" no pun here.......any input on what to expect and areas of "concentration" would be greatly appreciated.........
    Thax,

Kelley Lambert, LDO,COA

Thread Information