Thread: Office practice software and the new health care program

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Office practice software and the new health care program

Can some tell me if the new healthcare legislation requires that optical stores must use optical practice software and have all records computerized? I would also like suggestions as to where to start at looking at programs that will not bankrupt me.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am also interested in this information....anyone????

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It is way too soon to make any decision on software that will meet the as yet unfinalized requirements for EMR's for opticians or ophthalmic products. In fact this data may fall outside of the perview of the legislation. The one thing that you can count on is the diverse opinions of both your colleagues and the purveyors of EMR software. Hopefully your professional associations will come out with some accurate information that you can take to the bank.

Unfortunately, I know of no "official" data dictionary or shema which has received an imprematur from the regulating bodies in the field of optometry or opticianry. Beware of implementing anything until all of these issues have been resolved.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    First, I apologize for the length of this post.

Recently the government has put out some new information on the HITECH Act and are hosting some webinars. Tons of people have the same questions that you do.

As a software vendor, I struggle with the marketing done by the companies in our industry. Just because they are certified doesn't mean you will receive any money. The other challenge is the funding for the $$ ... hospital and large facility claims will eat up the budget after the first distribution. Unless Congress pushes more money into the system, don't expect any incentives after year 1. Furthermore, your incentive is a percentage of your Medicare or Medicaid paid claims. If you don't see any of these patients, you won't get paid.

The biggest challenge for the optical-only setting is demonstrating 'Meaningful Use.' For the mixed or medical-based practice, it's still a challenge. The rules currently include taking vitals and determining BMI. I don't do that in my office...

CMS has put up a website (as of July 30) on http://www.cms.gov/EHRIncentivePrograms

CMS Webinar transcripts and materials on this subject (from August 12) can be found here:

Materials will be made available at the following web address: http://www.cms.gov/EHRIncentiveProgr...ing_Events.asp

A transcript and MP3 file of the call will be available approximately 3 weeks after August 12 at http://www.cms.gov/EHRIncentiveProgr...ing_Events.asp on the CMS website.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edit
    Last edited by kaypaula; 12-29-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: because

Thread Information