Thread: Any info on Conant Optical?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any info on Conant Optical?

I have a patient who's a
    +7.50 -0.50 X 78 / 2.50
    +7.75 -1.00 X 130 /2.50

and currently wears a 1.56 7X28,
    when I look through my lab lists I see the a 7X28 also comes in Poly and 1.60.
    When I call around to the labs I use everyone gives me a price on the poly but only Three Rivers Optical can give my a price on the 1.60. After trying unsuccessfully to find the lens in Jobson's lens book I call back Three Rivers to ask who the manufacturer is and they tell me that it comes from Conant Optical. So does anyone use lenses from them and if so how does the quality/consistency compare to other manufactures?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We tried Conant, but had a lot of trouble with their power consistancy in their 1.60 lenses. I do know that a number of Hoya labs are using their lenses, and apparently doing ok with them.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    We tried Conant, but had a lot of trouble with their power consistancy in their 1.60 lenses. I do know that a number of Hoya labs are using their lenses, and apparently doing ok with them.
    I completely agree.

These lenses are very inconsistently made, and base curves will differ from left to right even in matching pairs. It took me 2-3 pairs of off power lenses to recognize the issue.

However, you can successfully grind these (and they will be fine) if you want to take the time to sag each lens while putting the job into your lab computer. Just trust your sag gauge and input the actual base curve of each lens you take out of the box, and you can grind them consistently on power. We used this method to accurately "sell through" our remaining Conant stock.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    In fairness, once you get the lenses to come out on power, they seem to work just fine. They are a pain in the rear from a lab perspective, but once a good pair is achieved, patients should have no problems with them.

Three Rivers is an excellent lab (as much as I hate to plug a competitor), and if they are selling them, I would think that they've worked out how to make them right.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the info this will make it a lot easier for me to figure out what I'm recommend to the patient.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi, We are also a lens manufacturer, not just stock lens, but also Rx lens. Now, We offer Rx lens for some of our canadian customer. they are satisfied with us.
    We are Optical lens supplier, Supply all kinds product(bulk and Rx lens in unifocal,bifocal,multifocal lens) with good price, fast shipment, best service!

Thread Information