Thread: Difference in responsiblities in licensed states

Bad address email on file

Difference in responsiblities in licensed states

Im Bill,..I currently reside in Texas which has no requirements for licensure. I have been in the business for 13 years. the most I have ever made in Texas is 15.00 an hour. Recognizing that obviously in licensed states that people are making way more money than I am in Texas. Makes me wonder what the difference in duties for the Optician are in licensed states? Here in Texas I have done everthing from retail management ,..to surface work in a wholesale lab and everything in between.Second ,..realizing that in licensed states there is more money to be made. I have been trying to find a state that might take my experience into consideration. so I dont have to go to school for 2 years. seems crazy to have to do that when you have 13 years experience.
    Oh and thanks for listening to my frustration.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Try California

I think your frustration is something all of us have felt at one time or another. Especially those of us who have worked both.

You might ask some of the people on here about current requirements. It used to be in California that you had to have 3 affidavits (2 from OD's & 1 from a MD) saying you'd been in the business for a certain amount of time. That and someone who wanted to hire you as a manager. The bad part was that you were licensed to a location. I'm not sure about now but your NCLE along with a state license used to allow you to fit contacts.

My information is 20 years old at this point so be sure to get more current information before you pack your bags!

Having fun and making money is always the best revenge! Good luck to you!!

Framebender

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Bill,

Here in New York we can administer a VA check for the DMV requirement. With our license we can legally check behind someone's ears for adjustments. Of course, we can alter the RX if it requires a Vertex Distance or Slab-Off compensation. Also, we can legaly take PD's and measurements.

Sunglass Hut also adjusted glasses. They would make the people take them off and then adjust, perfectly legal. I oversaw the Eye-X program there (while it lasted), people didn't mind and seemed to like the service. Other optical shops do the same thing with unlicensed people.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unhappy

Oh Bill, how I feel your pain! I am a licensed optician in TN...I work right now as an ophthalmic tech...I am not particularly happy with this but there is nowhere for me to go. There are only 3 MD's one retail and two private OD's here. I have already worked for 2 MD's and the retail. Of all of them I liked the retail place the best only because they let me work as an optician....unfortunately, I had to leave because the personality conflicts between others there and myself made life unbearable for me. So on one hand I have stress between inter office personnel, or the stress of not doing what I enjoy...either way it is stress! Now for the money issue...hmmm....I could only dream of one day making $15 an hour...see they hired me as an ophthalmic tech so they don't have to pay me as an optician but they know they can USE me as an optician without paying. Who got the best out of that deal?? I really don't know that licensed optician's make any more than the unlicensed. I made almost as well as I am now before I got my license. Doesn't seem fair somehow. I really wish there was some way of making it so their were an optician minimum wage so we wouldn't get cheated. It just really seems that they can pay us whatever they want and we either accept it or work doing something else. I do realize you can only get paid what you accept but when the docs and retails are out there saying well I am only gonna give you X amt of $ and you say NO I am way more experienced than that all they will say to you then is adios we will find someone off the street and train them for less. What is someone who is experienced to do? You need to eat and pay bills....$X. is still more than ZERO how do you negotiate that? Sure I DID get 50 cents more an hour but now I am being looked at like well ok now I am paying you what you want...do EVERYTHING!!! You just can't win for losing it seems. I made more money waiting tables. I will quit my whining now.

Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Bill

Here in Ohio you have to have a two year apprenticeship or 2 years of formal optical education from a state approved school before you can set for the exam to get your license. We have both contact lens licenses, spectacle licenses and combination. Our rights to dispense from a written prescription is only limited by that prescription. We can adjust eyewear any way we please and their is no provision for compying with expiration dates on prescriptions. We can do vision screening through special training and certification on preschool children. In states that become licensed the Opticians who have been working in that state normally are grandfathered in and don't have to go through the formal education or further testing. I think that you should get on the bandwagon and join in the fight to get your state licensed for your protection. Your experience is important and needs to be protected. Good luck.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Steph,... I am glad to hear I am not alone. Your words bring me comfort thank you.
    Bill

Bill,
    It certainly sounds as you have a varied background. Unfortunately in a non-license state, as you stated, the salaries may not be as high as those in licensed states. It's basically a supply and demand situation. In Virginia, which is licensed, the area that you live in would dictate what type of salary you may command. More rural areas usually have higher $, simply because less population equals less opticians. Competition is less also. Depending whom your working for.
    In North Carolina, another licensed state, the salaries are extremely high. Supply of licenses are outnumbered by positions that are available. They also have very stringent laws there, which inturn helps. Good luck to you, and continue your search...

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

Oh no Bill, You are definately not alone. Unfortunately there are too many of us out there that have been used for years. It stinks but I have no idea of what to do to stop it except move or go into another field. Glad I could make you feel better since now you know you aren't the only one out there.

Steph

Thread Information