Thread: Pirate Pete and new found friends...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Pirate Pete and new found friends...

I can't go on vacation and not post at least one vacation picture! From left to right, this is Deb (my wife), Me, Ron & Laurie Pierce.

Laurie is an OptiBoard Moderator, and Ron is her Optometrist husband. The Pierces were extremely gracious guests to us in their Tampa home (more like a vacation resort, you guys should really see this place) on the weekend before our cruise. Of particular interest was the Gasparilla Pirate Parade we participated in on Saturday night (this is a photo taken after the parade).

Basically, you dress up like pirates and throw beads to a 100,000 screaming, drunk people over a three mile trek. It was an absolute blast (just try walking three miles after a few beers, and you'll understand). Watching my usually reserved wife get her breast licked by a stranger was rather amusing (ask me at Expo ;) ), and I got to take in a few other "sights" as well- it was like Bourbon Street on wheels!

Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My Sistooooooooor!

Pete...Laurie P is my siser and Ron, my Brother-In-Law. Did you swim in the awesome pool and drink great wine?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Crier Gee Pete, since I have to be this jealous....

Where is your gracious thank yous to the Chreitzbergs that you filled their slot because after the two car accidents the doctor said they couldn't go do this? Don't even think you're taking our places next year!:cheers:

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What a blast.

Way too much fun. We had a wild and crazy time and Pete forgot to mention Deb's tatoo..

Viva La Grand Krewe de Libertalia!

: )

Laurie

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Laurie said:
    Pete forgot to mention Deb's tatoo...
    I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that one, Laurie! I plan on using that as my "get out of trouble free" card for a long time to come!
    Conversations run something like this,
    "Why didn't you pick up the bread at the store?"
    "Hey, I'm not the one who let a wild pirate lick my breasts!"
    "Oh shut up!" (blush)
    (and by now she has forgotten all about the bread or whatever other transgression I've committed).
    :D

Jackie said:
    Did you swim in the awesome pool and drink great wine?
    Of course! Plus, we met the awesome kids, stayed in a room with the cool turtle (who liked me, cause he swam over to look at me every time I walked in the room), had the best Chinese food I've ever tasted, and went shopping in the yuppie capital of the world (some block of shops in downtown Tampa)... All in all, it was two days of hedonistic perfection! If your sis ever complains about anything, just say "Um, you live on an island with a screened in pool and you drive a convertible- you aren't allowed to complain!"
    ;)

LaurieC said:
    Where is your gracious thank yous to the Chreitzbergs that you filled their slot because after the two car accidents the doctor said they couldn't go do this? Don't even think you're taking our places next year!
    Yes, yes... the trouble you guys went to to ensure us a good time was truly touching. Next time you want to make sure we have a great weekend, try not to destroy a Mustang (sniffle) and injure yourself in the process! See you next week, and I'm sure we can figure out a way to get us all in one place sometime in the future without involving insurance companies and hospitals!
    :)

PS- If you've never been on a cruise- GO!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Re: What a blast.

Laurie said:
    Pete forgot to mention Deb's tatoo..
    How about a pic of the tatoo then...;)

btw, you dont half look like Tony Curtis done up like that....:hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Re: Re: What a blast.

John R said:
    btw, you dont half look like Tony Curtis done up like that....:hammer:
    Would that be the 'Boston Strangler' Tony Curtis or the 'Some Like It Hot' one? ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation

Wink What a blast. (from the past)

Steve Machol said:

Would that be the 'Boston Strangler' Tony Curtis or the 'Some Like It Hot' one? ;)
    Na the "Persuaders" You know the TV series with Roger Moore..... Tc was the one who always cocked up......

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    John R said:
    Na the "Persuaders" You know the TV series with Roger Moore..... Tc was the one who always cocked up......
    Cocked up? Well, now that you mention it... Oh I give up! What does "cocked up" mean???
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Pete Hanlin said:
    Oh I give up! What does "cocked up" mean???
    Well i was surpised it got through the Word filter ...:drop:
    I think you got the gist of one meaning.... Also means always making mistakes, getting it wrong (being married you will aready be there on that one) and so on.....:hammer:

How come you still got the beads left to thight to let go of them :finger:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    John R said:
    How bout a picture of that tattoo then?
    Um, a picture of where this particular tattoo was would be tossed off by Steve in less time than it takes to type "Whoa Nelly!" (a comment made by a popular sports announcer here in the States). Just trust me when I say I laughed my bum off when I saw just exactly where it was at the end of the night!
    :p

John R said:
    How come you still got the beads left? Too tight to let go of them?
    HA! I'd say we each threw at least 300 strands of beads... how do you know those aren't the ones I earned (after all, I'm the one who's all cocked up).
    :bbg:

Actually, there are little beads (which we threw with abandon) and big beads. As a married fellow, however (in the company of his wife, no less), it wouldn't have been prudent to court the kind of behavior the dispensing of big beads requires. Little beads get you a flash, so I'll leave you to your imagination for the big beads.

This brings me to another observation. One that Darris, Chad and I made a few years ago while perched on the stoop of the "Pussy Cat" in New Orleans (at the corner of Bourbon & St. Peters). If you were in a bar and approached most of the young ladies who were flashing and offered them $20 for a look at their "wares," you'd probably get slapped. However, the mere offer of a set of beads that cost about $0.13 will have them ripping up their shirt and jumping around in circles... Go figure! Then again- why ask why!?!

Here are some of the Mayan ruins we visited (Chichen-itza). We climbed the pyramid in the background...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Now that I've been scanning pics (I'm keeping them really small file size wise, Steve, so they won't bog down loading)...

Non-VW bugs are all over the place in Mexico! Turns out they still make them new in Mexico City... this one in particular attracted our attention.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation

Wave

Pete Hanlin said:
    Just trust me when I say I laughed my bum off when I saw just exactly where it was at the end of the night!
    :p

HA! I'd say we each threw at least 300 strands of beads... how do you know those aren't the ones I earned (after all, I'm the one who's all cocked up).
    :bbg:

You mean you didn't see it get done...
    Well looking at the number of beads you got there, No wonder you looks plain tuckered out then.........
    How many beads does a quick lick cost then.....:shiner:

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    John R said:
    You mean you didn't see it get done...
    Actually, I had gone to get a couple beers and as I'm walking back around the pirate ship I see this guy diving into my wife and Laurie yelling "what in the he!! are you doing?!?" It was a memorable moment...

While I bartered for a lot of stuff in Mexico (including a really cool chess set carved from bone- wish someone on OptiBoard would rise to an online chess game), I didn't negotiate how many beads a lick would cost... You'll have to come visit Florida for Gasparilla next year and figure that one out for yourself!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dam i was going to nick some of the sprogs beads and use them..:shiner:
    Long time since i played chess will have to give the young one a game or two first...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Okay, last pic (I promise). This is from the top of the pyramid at Chichen-Itza (yes, I made it to the top). The columns below belong to the "Temple of the Warriors." Getting up the pyramid's 91 steps (one for every four days plus one equalling 365 days in the year) isn't so hard. Getting down is another story- its pretty steep and there are no handrails (there's a rope going down one side, but naturally I was much to manly to make use of it). I'm wearing a lot of POP (hat was from purchasing Nike frames and the backpack came from a Polo promo... sorry, I left my OptiBoard shirt home for the cruise).
    ;)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Pete Hanlin said
    Okay, last pic (I promise).
    Oh i was looking forward to seeing some more,
    Looks like you had a real swell time..:)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    John said:
    Oh i was looking forward to seeing some more.
    Well, since I can't show you a picture of the tattoo (actually, I wish I had thought to take a picture of it...), I'll leave you with at least a swimsuit shot (had to pump four daquaris in her just to get her to let me take a photo of her in a swimsuit).

Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    :p Nice ;) :bbg:

Now if you could sneek a photo of the tatoo, you really would have a get out of jail card.....:shiner:

Thread Information