Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, is the end of an unfortunate era coming to a close?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Finally, is the end of an unfortunate era coming to a close?

Bergez and wife guilty of contempt

July 03, 2010

Steve Buist
    The Hamilton Spectator
    (Jul 3, 2010)

The Great Glasses chain of eyewear stores has been placed in court-ordered receivership following seven years of flagrant disregard for the health regulations of Ontario.

Great Glasses founder Bruce Bergez and his wife, Joanne, have both been found guilty of criminal contempt of court, in addition to a further finding of civil contempt. The pair will find out Aug. 23 if they're headed to jail.

Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney General, College of Optometrists and College of Opticians are jointly recommending Bergez and his wife be imprisoned for two years and one year, respectively.

In a 95-page decision released yesterday, Ontario Superior Court Justice James Turnbull called the Bergezes' level of defiance of court orders "truly extraordinary."
    "This case highlights the importance of the rule of law and its importance to our way of life in Canada," he said in his decision. "The alternative is chaos and loss of respect for the decisions of the court."

The judge categorically rejected all the arguments made by Bruce Bergez during a three-day hearing last week.

Judge Turnbull noted that not only have the Bergezes refused to comply with court orders since 2003, they increased the number of stores that were operating illegally.
    "It is difficult to conceive of a more publicly defiant act than operating and even expanding a retail business, and then advertising that business, all contrary to court order," Turnbull said in his decision, noting this marks the fourth time the Bergezes have been found by a court to be operating illegally.

"These issues have been before the court continually since 2003 and there is absolutely no way the (Bergezes) were not aware that they were operating Great Glasses contrary to the law.

"All previous attempts by this court to coerce compliance have been ineffective," the judge added. "Compliance is no longer the goal."
    Deloitte & Touche has been appointed receiver of the 20 Great Glasses stores listed in the court order.

Beginning Monday, the receiver is expected to begin removing the automated machines that have been used by Great Glasses stores to provide their so-called "free eye tests."

The receiver will also begin examining the financial affairs of the stores, as well as all computer records for each of the stores.

In addition, the Bergezes and all people associated with Great Glasses are obliged to inform the receiver about the existence of any related books, contracts, corporate and accounting records and computer records.

Fazal Khan, president of the College of Opticians of Ontario, said he's been told the receiver intends to ensure that all Great Glasses locations begin complying with provincial health regulations.

Ontario law requires glasses and contacts to be properly prescribed by an optometrist or physician and properly dispensed by an optician.
    "This decision reinforces the integrity of the regulatory framework," Khan said, following release of the judge's decision. "I think this will re-establish faith in the profession."

The Great Glasses chain, with stores across southern Ontario, is widely known for its "3-for-1" business model, as well as the offer of a "free eye test" for customers with no appointment necessary.

Various court decisions have consistently found Bergez and the Great Glasses stores have been in violation of Ontario health legislation and those court decisions have been upheld all the way to Canada's Supreme Court.

In 2006, Bergez, his wife and their companies were found in contempt of a 2003 court order that requires Bergez and the Great Glasses stores to comply with Ontario legislation that governs the prescribing and dispensing of eyeglasses and contact lenses.

They were fined $1 million and a further $50,000 a day for every day since that they have not been in compliance. To date, the accumulated fines have passed $60 million.

There are no opticians employed at Great Glasses locations and the overwhelming majority of their customers don't have proper prescriptions when they enter the stores. Instead, they receive an eye examination conducted on a machine known as the Eyelogic system, which generates a printout that's used as the prescription to prepare the glasses.

Bergez has tried to suggest that because the Eyelogic machine was invented by an Alberta ophthalmologist, the printouts generated by the machine can be considered proper prescriptions from a physician -- a notion rejected completely by various courts.

Judge after judge has made note of what has been described as Bergez's "flagrant, protracted and deliberate disobedience."
    Another judge found his conduct "highly provocative, arrogant and egregious."
    It was only when Bergez was first faced with the threat of imprisonment in 2006 that he finally provided answers under oath to dozens of questions submitted by the College of Optometrists.

Some of those answers raised eyebrows and the occasional chuckle.
    For instance, Bergez indicated the parent company of Great Glasses was owned by a mysterious figure named "Buster Kafer."

It was revealed in court that no such person seemed to exist and the name was simply an amalgamation of the name of Bergez's dog and his mother's maiden name.
    Court heard the Great Glasses' franchise agreements had been signed by Buster Kafer, "which is astonishing," the College of Optometrists lawyer told court, "because I didn't know that dogs could write. I guess this one can."

Bergez was formerly an optician, but his registration to practice was suspended in 2006.

Calling him "ungovernable," the College of Opticians finally revoked his ability to practice as an optician in February of this year.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Isn't this just beginning in BC?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I suspect (my opinion only) that this is the beginning of the end and BC is a good example.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper How do you propose to stop the flow..............................

Ontario and Quebec are well regulated Provinces.......................

So how are you going to stop the flow of a couple thousand pairs a day of on line glasses purchased by consumers into those provinces ?

I strongly believe that Coastal Contacts in Vancouver sells more glasses into those provinces than Bergez ever did in his stores. How do you propose to stop Coastal and others from selling into regulated areas?

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    //
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 10-23-2010 at 02:54 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great Glasses Still Open For Business

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The stores will probably remain open. The individual owners will find a way to stay in business. With or without Bergez, these stores are not just going to close up. Their methods may change but they're not just going to disappear.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter elaneo's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    We'll see how long it lasts. I've had their previous customers come in so shocked when they've been informed about what has been going on. Also I've heard that some of GG's accounts aren't so good. So we will see how long they last. I think with everything going on they will slowly be going out of business if they can ever pay back what they owe...that is if everything is done properly. Time will tell.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is ludicrious that they were allowed to operate so long. Any supplier who supported Great Glasses will never get my business.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 10-23-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Has this applied equally to all the locations, or just the ones that Bergez owns? Has anyone stopped by a location to see if they're following the rules?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Who are you presently using as suppliers ? You might be shocked at the suppliers. Where did you get your opticians license from ? Where did you get your continuing education credits from ? Lenses ? Frames ? What media do you advertise in ? The problem runs deep.

I have done what you propose and admire your courage to carry through on it. We all need to do that.
    This is a slippery slope you are suggesting. Don't blame a small-time frame supplier for doing what is rightfully his job.

Also, where does this thinking end? If I have a fight with someone here, do I the same with our mutual supplier?

It doesn't help to drag in a third party into what is ultimately our fight. Our frustrations or ineptitude should not be his/her problem.

Where are our ethics?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [l
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 10-23-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by disp1967 View Post
    It is ludicrious that they were allowed to operate so long. Any supplier who supported Great Glasses will never get my business.
    That's probably most!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by disp1967 View Post
    Perhaps we will all be paying for this madness by way of higher prices from the suppliers that dealt with them as they try to re-coup their losses when things came to a close?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Optometrist
    When you are willing to close your business at your own expense or leave your place of employment long enough to find these answers then you will have the fortitude to see this come to an end. And then and only then will you have passion for your own profession.
    That would make a great fortune cookie. Vague and pointless.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's also imperative to support independants for our industry to survive. This is even more important in the lens side. look what happened in Germany when only the big boys control a market.

http://www.visionmonday.com/ViewCont...4/Default.aspx

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That is what we all must ask ourselves: " Where are our ethics ? Where are the morals we individually believe in ? " Even the small frame supplier must ask this of themselves . Everyone in the supply and distribution chain from education to regulatory bodies to mall landlords and smaller landlords from wholesale frame and lens suppliers through to retail point of sale clerks and opticians must ask this question. Even the judge must have asked this question of himself. Now it is your turn. Are you satisfied with your own answers ? We all play a part in allowing & enabling this, even if we chose to do nothing .
    I think I may not have made my point very clear. WE are the ones who enable & allow not an outside individual. I take responsibility for my own fight. I don't ask or expect anyone to do it for me. Suppliers, landlords, Hydro, garbage collectors are not involved parties. This is not their fight.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This has been a fairy long and unfortunate black eye on vision care and all those affected by it, patients and professionals alike. Great Glasses ability to do refractions has been taken away, thanks in large part to the college of optometrist. His ability to dispense eyewear remains intact...unfortunately it sounds like the college of opticians still has a fight left to fight?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    His license to dispense is gone...revoked,suspended. I don't see why the College of Opticians still has to fight anything.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    His license to dispense is gone...revoked,suspended. I don't see why the College of Opticians still has to fight anything.
    So why are all the stores still open?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.elmes View Post
    Wouldn't the Optician College have the onus of protecting dispensing by someone not licensed to dispense?

You're right he's no longer an optician, but they would be protecting their protected act.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If Ontario is anything like the rest of the provinces, the protected or restricted act of dispensing belongs to all three Colleges, the opticians, the optometrists and the physicians. All three college due have a responsibility to see that any contravention to the act is dealt with properly. That being in an ideal world, in Ontario though, the opticians seem to be left responsibility of chasing great glasses to the end, with little or no help from the other two colleges. Then again, the optometrists college is pretty happy that this guy is no longer passing himself off as a practitioner capable of performing an eye exam.

Thread Information