Thread: OfficeMate, FrameMate

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

OfficeMate, FrameMate

Our office currently uses OfficeMate software. We are wanting to input our frame inventory into OfficeMate/FrameMate. Is it possible to upload this information from a disk that is not Frame Data SPEXUPC CD? Also is there a way to enter the manufacturers and frames manually into OfficeMate? I've read up on the OfficeMate website, but I find the site and manual to be very vague. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could offer.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure which other resources you could use besides Frames Data. Yes, you can enter the manufacturers manually. You have to start in a screen besides "Products" before you get started, but I'll have to be at my work computer before I could walk you through that. It'll be Tuesday before I can help, but I'm happy to do it!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay, I've finally gotten back around to this thread. Sorry for the delay; I hope this is still helpful (see my post about the office flood).

To manually enter in a vendor, start at Setup, then Business Names, then Vendor. Click "New" at the bottom of the window, and enter in all the info you have. Click the box next to "Frames," then "Frame Designers/Collections" will appear, and you can fill in each brand for that particular manufacturer. After saving this info, go to Products, Products and Services, and select "Frames" under "Product Type." Click on "New Product," and then follow the Yellow Brick Road (it's all self-explanatory from there).

Yeah, it will take forever to do lots of frames, but this way you can customize what information you want or don't want, and can guarantee accuracy in what you enter. Surprise, but Frame Facts isn't allways correct (or complete).

Please do let me know if you have any other questions about this. I don't know it all, and if I don't know, I'll just say so, but I'm pretty comfortable with this program. Hope it helps!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Frame Facts is a complete JOKE of a system if you're gunning for accuracy. I can't begin to tell you how many times they name a frame completely differently than what the manufacturer actually stamps on the temple. While less frequent, we also have found quite a few errors in sizing as well.

If you're in OfficeMate, hand entering your frames each one at a time is a labor intensive process if you have a large number on your boards. But certainly WELL worth the effort and the only means I'm aware of when dealing with Frames Data if you are interested in 100% accuracy. It's a very simple process actually, just takes the time to do the keying in. On another note - if you have more than one individual in your practice entering frames, make sure they're perfectly trained in the manner of entry you choose. That way you'll at least be consistent in your data.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    On another note - if you have more than one individual in your practice entering frames, make sure they're perfectly trained in the manner of entry you choose. That way you'll at least be consistent in your data.
    And that's why I only enter frames by myself. There's been plenty of times when I'm just bogged down with stuff, and someone willingly asks if there's anything she can do. When it comes to data entry, I just prefer to do it my way. And I feel ridiculous trying to explain to someone why I do it the way I do it. OCD: it's a blessing, and a curse. ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Edit: I double-posted. I have no idea how to delete a post!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DewVision View Post
    Our office currently uses OfficeMate software. We are wanting to input our frame inventory into OfficeMate/FrameMate. Is it possible to upload this information from a disk that is not Frame Data SPEXUPC CD? Also is there a way to enter the manufacturers and frames manually into OfficeMate? I've read up on the OfficeMate website, but I find the site and manual to be very vague. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you could offer.
    If you are using Marchon products, they have the data available on their website for free. You can use this data to load what FrameMate would normally load. This is nice because you will see an example of how it should be done. Don't make the mistake we made, which was to enter it how ever we wanted to, and then decided it was time to purchase FrameMate. Now we have to go back and correct all of our mistakes.

When ever working with Officemate, I find it easiest to have a practice server that I can screw up and not worrry about. Then when weI get it figured out, we use our real server.

Good Luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In our practice (and the last two I worked prior) Frames Data WAS the mistake! ;) I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more incomplete and worse, inaccurate, inventory "assistance" program! To each their own...as always, ymmv.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    In our practice (and the last two I worked prior) Frames Data WAS the mistake! ;) I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more incomplete and worse, inaccurate, inventory "assistance" program! To each their own...as always, ymmv.
    Thanks for the heads up. We just started using it so I'm not familiar with the inaccuracies. Would you mind elaborating on them? Also, does wholesale price seem to be accurate?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Inaccuracies can include (but are not limited to) missing colors for certain models, really wrong A, B and ED measurements, occasionally missing manufacturers (like all of Europa or Aspex not there). Prices seem (for the most part) to be accurate, unless they've been omitted altogether.

I have to echo Uilleann; make sure everyone is consistent in their data entry. Or, just let one person be in charge of it (see post #5 above!). I'm able to work with it just fine, despite the errors. It's made my job a little bit easier, anyway. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seriously, the time you may spend on the front end simply entering each frame individually should - at least in my own experience - be vastly shorter than the time you'll likely spend trying to "fix" Frames Data. The pricing stuff is fair...but then again, you should also be getting an invoice from every mfr for every order, clearly showing what the cost of a given frame is. What you're invoiced for is usually a good place to start when seeking the most current pricing data. Remember, there are a lot of frames makers out there who's pricing structures are somewhat...volatile. Silhouette did it to us a few months ago for example. It was simple enough for us to make the changes to our pricing as soon as we got word of the changes. Waiting for Frames Data to do the same would have cost us 1-2 months of pricing inaccuracy (undercharging patients in this case).

OfficeMate is fairly simple to keep an accurate inventory in - it just requires mildly competent staff, consistency in data entry, and you shouldn't see any major problems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We've been hand entering for years and wanted/needed an automated procedure. Computers are supposed to simplify your life, not make it harder. I hope FramesData doesn't do that (fingers crossed)

We had really good luck with the Marchon data from the Marchon website. That is why we decided to try FramesData. An issue we run into is when we receive frames the UPC code is no where to be found, so we have to hand enter it into OM. Another reason we wanted to try FramesData. We use PO's on OM, so we want to enter the data ahead of time (thus FramesData).

BTW- I have found OM only offers the most rudimentary inventory tracking. If we want to return a frame that was in inventory there is no way to track the frame until credit is received. (that I am aware of. I've spoke with OM on this and they concur). We have $1000's of dollars of frames usually floating around on the back of a FedX truck somewhere that is owned by us until PROPER credit is provided. OM does not allow us to track that particular inventory, and that is IMPORTANT.
    Last edited by AustinEyewear; 08-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So switch your practice management software suite to something more compatible with your needs. If OfficeMate aint doing it for ya, I can't see how Frames Data would...

To each there own. Best of luck though!!

Bri-

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We intend to continue using the OM inventory, not the frames data inventory. OM has it's virtues, inventory just isn't one of its strong points.

Thread Information