Thread: Strong myopia from brazil

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Strong myopia from brazil

Hello, friends. I'd like to know if are there lenses for strong nearsighted people (like me) that don't deformee the eyes so much. I have a pair of glasses with lenses high index (1.74) and -10.00 of myopia and 1.50 of astigmatism. Even with those lenses i feel my eyes deep in my face when i look through them.
    I have no experience with regular lenses, but i don't mind to have lenses not that thin if any of them could decrease this effect.
    Would you help me?
    Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What the heck is going on here? Consumer week?

Banned
    Occupation
    Has it ever occurred to any of the professionals on this board that the things discussed here are conversational points to bring up with doctors? Imagine going into an optometrist knowing different options to choose from and not being confined to one doctors knowledge. Is this board suppose to be some Optical country club? If you think logically a patient has to have an rx to get a pair of glasses and/or contacts and this guy is asking for genuine advice that maybe his doctor and/or optician may not be well versed with(don't underestimate how much professionals in this field don't know). I myself got a pair of glasses from costco that an optician and optometrist both approved and now it is collecting dust. Information is just that, it's information. You give someone the pros,cons,and facts about a product or service as you know it from your experience. If you really think about it the consumer gets to choose their own lenses anyway.So why not give him some tips?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    What the heck is going on here? Consumer week?
    I was thinking the same thing.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rocwilder35 View Post
    I myself got a pair of glasses from costco that an optician and optometrist both approved and now it is collecting dust.
    Costco? Did you go there because you were impressed by thier

a. Knowledge?

b. Customer Service?

c. Price?

Sometimes you get what you pay for, Had you gone to someone based on a or b they could have sold you a heavier paperweight for 1/10 the price. (now that's REAL value)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are You Thick in the Head?

Has it ever occurred to any of the professionals on this board that the things discussed here are conversational points to bring up with doctors? Imagine going into an optometrist knowing different options to choose from and not being confined to one doctors knowledge. Is this board suppose to be some Optical country club? If you think logically a patient has to have an rx to get a pair of glasses and/or contacts and this guy is asking for genuine advice that maybe his doctor and/or optician may not be well versed with(don't underestimate how much professionals in this field don't know). I myself got a pair of glasses from costco that an optician and optometrist both approved and now it is collecting dust. Information is just that, it's information. You give someone the pros,cons,and facts about a product or service as you know it from your experience. If you really think about it the consumer gets to choose their own lenses anyway.So why not give him some tips?
    Rocwilder;

When will you ever get that this board is not for consumers?

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Rocwilder;

When will you ever get that this board is not for consumers?

This is what it says at the top of this page. "Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum...". Is this not the just conversational forum? How does it benefit you to keep this board as an Optical Gestapo center? Consumers ask questions that clients may have. I honestly did not think this board was intended for optical professionals only but I know they are the bulk of the people on this board.

Pn a side note have you ever seen a dentistry board where someone is banned because they ask a question about teeth whitening. I don't know whether what is happening is snobbery or just stupidity. People who display any or both characterisitcs will find me thick in the head.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This is what it says at the top of this page. "Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum...". Is this not the just conversational forum? How does it benefit you to keep this board as an Optical Gestapo center? Consumers ask questions that clients may have. I honestly did not think this board was intended for optical professionals only but I know they are the bulk of the people on this board.

Pn a side note have you ever seen a dentistry board where someone is banned because they ask a question about teeth whitening. I don't know whether what is happening is snobbery or just stupidity. People who display any or both characterisitcs will find me thick in the head.
    I think you are being very unfair here. We in the optical profession can not and should not be held accountable for the unprofessionalism of those "Dentists". Darn them...for setting such a bad example.

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ksquared View Post
    I think you are being very unfair here. We in the optical profession can not and should not be held accountable for the unprofessionalism of those "Dentists". Darn them...for setting such a bad example.
    ill take that type of unprofessionalism anyday.

Banned
    Occupation
    Its funny how a couple people pass an exam and turn into such snobs. Like no one here would ever think to ask a professional something online. If a logical level headed optician were to answer the question he/she could say x amount of patients have a certain response have you asked your doctor about y/z? Obviously the optometrist he went to wasn't perfect. When you see the eye doctor they will usually write a number for sphere, cylinder if applicable, and prism if applicable. It is very rare that an optomestrist will prescribe certain lense types. They may advise but at the end the decision is yours. Maybe many people on this board just don't care to help people who want it. Just say that. It is much easier and it leaves them less confused as to why you are being unreasonable. Someone who goes to a health fair will often get general information on whatever relevant information they are seeking by an md or a medical professional. I have never seen anyone sign a waiver to get information nor have I seen squad cars waiting outside to detain the medical professionals that inform people. I can imagine if someone was trying to tell someone online they need a +4 sphere because they couldnt read size 16 font on ms word, now that would be an issue worth getting your panties yoked up for. I asked a general phsyics question about magnification and you would have thought i stoned the pope. One I already have my prescription, wasn't asking whether I should change it, and I don't think calling my optometrist to ask about optical physics is appropriate unless I have an issue with my glasses and I don't.I was merely curous about a topic that interested me. To be honest I have asked many opticians questions that they could not answer and I thought this was a board where intelligent professionals with experience would be gladly willing to help people seeking information. What was I thinking? What dimension am I in? I am sure there are many professionals on this board who understand how unreasonable the policy is but they are playing by the rules. Such is life. We can't all see things clearly or eye to eye(no pun intended).
    Last edited by rocwilder35; 07-01-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice ramble through the briar patch, rocwilder35. What the original OP is asking is an optical question that is commonly answered by their personal ECP, but like a lot of people they, and you, seem to not listen to, or don't like the answer they got.

There is more skill, answers, and ability in that supercomputer called a human being than there is or ever will be on this forum. I am positive that your ECP will gladly answer all and any optical questions that you might have.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This is what it says at the top of this page. "Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum...".
    It also says
    Open to any non-optical topics.
    Listen Roc: The majority of us are decent people who do a good job helping our patients when we are at work. We spend some time on here for professional development and to let off some steam.

If you go back about 2-3 years you will see a number of consumer threads which were locked after consumers who started a thread similar to yours ended up threatening people. This was a bit extreme I'm sure you'll agree, but it was a response to multiple answers to the same question plus the occasional "humorous" post which seemed rude. There was a big debate amongst the members here and we decided we were happier to discuss optical topics with educated professionals. We spend all day talking to optically-uneducated patients, and personally I don't want to spend my off time answering your questions - I get paid for that, and I don't see you offering anything other than criticism.

There are a number of sites that give optical information such as allaboutvision.com and there are other forums where you will find optical "experts" willing to help you. Think of this as a professional college: Membership is restricted to those with similar qualifications. It is still an open forum (there are other forums where content is not open to the public) so you can still benefit from our discussions but you agreed to our rules when you signed up. Please abide by them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quit feeding the engineer troll.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file RetroRat's Avatar
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you see the eye doctor they will usually write a number for sphere, cylinder if applicable, and prism if applicable.
    You forgot the reading addition :cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    I get it now. Had i known you guys just didn't want to help ppl seeking advice I would have never bothered anyone. I just didn't feel my question was out of line. On that note i would never harass anyone unwantedly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PEOPLE, THIS GUY THRIVES ON CONTENTIOUS CONVERSATION. READ HIS POSTS, ALL THE SAME WHINING & COMPLAINING WHEN TOLD HE DOESN'T BELONG. He originally signed on as a dispensing optician, & still listed as opt. professional. He knows he doesn't belong here. I wonder what other professions he's toying with? This is how he gets his jollies, feeds on being told to go away. Who's the joker whose given him greenies?
    Because I just can't resist...... Had an electrical engineer pt once who boiled is cl heating unit to sterilize his lenses! Tease him about it to this day

Thread Information