Thread: High Myope

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

High Myope

Had a guy come in yesterday with Indian status (which means they're free) and dispensed a pair of bi-concave lenses with aroun -20.00 in each eye. He wasn't wearing glasses or contacts when he came in. Tried them on for a few seconds, took them off and mentioned the thickenss. Of course they're thick I said. You need lenses that are that thick to see properly. He told me that his eyes weren't "that bad", tucked them in the case and left. :hammer:

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    lol

I have seen the same situation where someone has like a -4.00 cyl and -6.00 sphere and they have not had glasses for about two years.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Off with the optician hat, on with the psychiatrist hat. I've always felt that opticians, priests, and bartenders had a lot in common.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Had a guy come in yesterday with Indian status (which means they're free) and dispensed a pair of bi-concave lenses with aroun -20.00 in each eye. He wasn't wearing glasses or contacts when he came in. Tried them on for a few seconds, took them off and mentioned the thickenss. Of course they're thick I said. You need lenses that are that thick to see properly. He told me that his eyes weren't "that bad", tucked them in the case and left. :hammer:

Indian status (i love that) thats funny! I cant believe that he was walking around like that, still seeing, and not causing accidents or some thing!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was he "Old Lodge Skins", the blind chief in Little Big Man?

On second thought, it couldn't be him....He was "invisible". :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yup, I had a similar situation with +8.00 lenses on a pt who was used to 2.50 OTC readers. Wouldn't even leave the store with them! He wanted a refund immediately.
    I love knowing he's driving on the same roads as I am.

Hey OD/OMD's, is there any value in the idea of easing him up to that? I've heard of things like "he really needs to go up a diopter, but he won't like it...start by increasing by 0.50" so I would think there might be some validity to ramping up to a -20 if the guy wasn't wearing anything before. What do you think?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    My favourite was, and it actually happened in Winterpeg, was when the parents of a child told me the doctor is full of it when he prescribed a +6.00 for the child. They argued the kid did not need the numbers, because he could see the cows in the field. The child was in the office and clearly showed signs of learning development problems and lack of attention from the parents. I wanted to speak to the parents pretty harshly, but I know my role.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

haha funny

you gotta love people in denial

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Yup, I had a similar situation with +8.00 lenses on a pt who was used to 2.50 OTC readers. Wouldn't even leave the store with them! He wanted a refund immediately.
    I love knowing he's driving on the same roads as I am.

Hey OD/OMD's, is there any value in the idea of easing him up to that? I've heard of things like "he really needs to go up a diopter, but he won't like it...start by increasing by 0.50" so I would think there might be some validity to ramping up to a -20 if the guy wasn't wearing anything before. What do you think?
    When I was working for LC, we had a GOS exam on a pair of foster care kids... brother and sister. The brother was a +5 and the dr said... just dispense that... the sister, however, was a +9 and the dr prescribed an initial +5 and then in a month, take her up to the +9.

When they got their glasses initially, the grins on these kids' faces.... *tear* I don't think they had ever seen anything before... they kept pointing out small objects to me and the foster mom

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last yr. had a patient with 12D of cyl OU, 38 yrs old from Peru, failed MV eye test for learner's permit. No way that could work, so put RGP trials on him, he flipped out with joy. Not KC, perfectly symmetrical corneal cyl. When fitting complete, VA 20/25 OU; he's learning to read, walks around just grinning. Wants to visit hometown to see what he missed. Instant clarity instantly tolerated, I live for these patients, he will follow me 'till I die, appreciating his own little miracle. Needless to say, he follows all instructions to the letter!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    My favourite was, and it actually happened in Winterpeg, was when the parents of a child told me the doctor is full of it when he prescribed a +6.00 for the child. They argued the kid did not need the numbers, because he could see the cows in the field. The child was in the office and clearly showed signs of learning development problems and lack of attention from the parents. I wanted to speak to the parents pretty harshly, but I know my role.
    A few years ago, we had a patient come in from a hospital for people with severe mental illness. She actually had to come in twice because the pretest freaked her out too much to continue the first visit. She was +6.00 with some cyl; had never had glasses in her life. I did the dispense a couple of weeks later, and I could not believe the change in this woman. Huge smile, the look of absolute wonder, and she was so happy she gave me a big wet kiss on the cheek I truly believe that her supposed mental illness was really rooted in her uncorrected vision.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just dispensed a +5 OU to my 4 year old niece and my sister did cry. After wearing them for 2 days she called my sister outside of the house to come and see something; it was a rainbow! She called me in tears and feeling terrible her daughter waited until 4 to bee able to see anything clearly.

She now has 2 pairs in drill mounts and looks like the cute 4 year old she is. She was already excelling at figure skating and can now actually see her teacher across the ice when she does hand signals; prior they thought she just ignored her.

Craig

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig, Your story (and others) brought a tear to my eye and warmth to my heart. Thanks for starting my day off with a warm heart!
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Had a similar situation that we took care of in the Pro Forum. Girl had been told all her life she was stupid and a discipline problem, Turned out she was just a high myope uncorrected.
    http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...gift-sight.asp
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information