Thread: Best computer glasses for user who sits very far from monitor?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

Best computer glasses for user who sits very far from monitor?

Which is the best computer lens option for patients who sit very far from their monitor but read at a normal reading distance? I would like to be able to customize computer glasses in such a way that I can get precisely the distance that I want on the top part, while keeping the reading add the same. Designs such as Sola Access that have a built in regression of 0.75 or 1.25 tend to pigeon hole you into a specific distance. However, many of my patients sit much further away and the Access glasses have not been comfortable. I've also tried Gradal RD for these patients but without much success. I realize that I could achieve this with bifocals but I would like to know if there are any other ideas.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another idea is to make up a computer clip for the correct distance. A custom flip up computer clip can be a very handy accessory, and can address the need for good distance vision (just flip up the clip), and give the wearer perfect intermediate vision at the proper distance. These can be fit over progressive and single vision with great success. Also good for "pre-presbyopes" who just need +.25 or .50...

call eClips 800-851-9913 for more info.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Shamir office is available in freeform where you you can customize the zones as well. I just had this discussion with our local rep on Monday after having difficulty with a patient for similar reasons.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Shamir Autograph II Office will be the best. With the FreeForm version, you can specify all of the distances (monitor, keyboard, etc.) to customize the lens for individual wearers.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The old Prio lens (probably at least 15-20 years old by now?) sounds like it may offer the best option for what you're interested in doing. While it's overall design plot is somewhat akin to the Shamir Office lenses, it is (usually) fit using an extra test during the exam to determine the exact working distance and Rx for a given patient's primary computer usage. The near is then added to that to offer a full range of intermediate and near viewing distances.

A similar effect might be possible in ordering different dynamic powers from an Office type product, but unless you are well aware of your lens, and know quite well what the final result is you're shooting for, it could also be quite frustrating for both you and your patient. Also, remember that with any of these styles of computer or 'occupational' lenses these days, the assumption is that the patient's monitor sits at or slightly below level gaze. We've had more than a few patients who upon questioning report some rather "interesting" monitor positions when they use their machines. :)

Best of luck to you!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As Uilleann offers, determining the best lens for the patient always starts at the exam, and continues with the Optician asking those "life style" questions. At one Doctor's office I worked in, we had a special area set up in a cubical with desk, computer and work surfaces, including bookcase and file cabinet. At the time the Zeiss RD was the computer lens of choice, and this set up let us determin exactly what the patients needs would be and if the lens would work for them.

Uilleann, as far as different dynamic powers in the Office, that's what the FreeForm Office is for. You can specify the distances the lens will be used at and the software will calculate the powers for the lens.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're able to modify your final power on the fly in the two different zones, then I would think you have a perfect winner there in the new Office offering. Bearing in mind we have to know rather precisely the details of the patients given working environment (distances and angles)...and of course, a healthy dose of patient education on what the lens does and does NOT do is always good. ;)

Brian~

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We actually have the patient give us a set of measurements and the doctor prefers to refract for those specifics. Particularly since you do see some interesting set ups!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Shamir gives a billion "degressions" from which to choose.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm sitting here with my old school Shamir Office lenses, (I know I don't look that old), and they rock.

Actually ordering some Autograph Office lenses (before they get bought!), and looking forward to the experience.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    Which is the best computer lens option for patients who sit very far from their monitor but read at a normal reading distance?
    Refract both work distances. For example, manifest Rx is pl sph add +2.75. The monitor is at 32"- client likes +1.00, and +2.50 for the 17" distance to the desktop. Use a multifocal with +1.00 distance and a +1.50 Add. I use a long corridor with a wide distance zone if the multifocal is progressive, and a ST28 if segmented.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information