Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so i got burned....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put the lenses in an envelope and file with her record with a note to never fill an rx or provide any professional service for her again. Reglaze the frame and put it back on the board. Send her a letter with her rx attached and fire her. Get some sleep.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Small claims court.....................

Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post

I try to give her my explanation she keeps hanging up on me i know i'm basically screwed ! but is there any way I can go after her! I'm so ******!
    As you are located in Canada in a place that lhas egal facilities for such cases, small claims court, is cheap and you do not need a lawyer when you go before the judge. Maybe just threatening her with it, might make her pay up/

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Always get something, so the customer has at least some investment. You said "she didnt have cash in hand". Let me ask you this, who does not have a Visa "in hand"? Lady, if Visa won't give you credit, I sure can't.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Let me ask you this, who does not have a Visa "in hand"? Lady, if Visa won't give you credit, I sure can't.
    Good answer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    So a lady walks with her Rx she wants to order progressive with photochromic lenses, but only if I take no deposit because she didnt have cash in hand, i never do that i explained but then she was walking away its was roughly $500 sale and times are tough so I agreed, Unfortunatily her glasses got delayed for 2 business days due to lens breakage, I call her to let her know now she's saying she'll think about picking up the glasses! :angry: , her glasses came in i call her she just totally refused to pick them because they were late, I try to give her my explanation she keeps hanging up on me i know i'm basically screwed ! but is there any way I can go after her! I'm so ******! :angry:
    When we break our own rules, we are to blame. Trying to go after a customer, who was promised something and it came late, begins the breach on your part...sorry. Your statement that the glasses were delayed for 2 business days due to lens breakage tells it all. She wasn't given what was promised, when promised...therefore she owes you nothing.

You got something out of this...a great lesson. In reality the lesson of not breaking your own rules, and the other lesson of not over-promising.

It seems that a lot here blame the customer...because it seems the "yeah man, I'm with ya man" thing to do. It's not her fault. Without the customer/patient/client, we wouldn't be in business.

Have a great day.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hard to accept

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    When we break our own rules, we are to blame. Trying to go after a customer, who was promised something and it came late, begins the breach on your part...sorry. Your statement that the glasses were delayed for 2 business days due to lens breakage tells it all. She wasn't given what was promised, when promised...therefore she owes you nothing.
    Diane
    I agree Diane. It is often easier to blame the customer but reality is that even if she had paid in full, since the glasses were not ready on time she would have been entitled to a full refund if she had wanted and any court would have sided in her favor. Unfortunately, I think all of us has had to go through this same experience at least once in our careers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    tell her shes the reason why opticians go nuts and start punching everything in sight

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You got something out of this...a great lesson. In reality the lesson of not breaking your own rules, and the other lesson of not over-promising.

It seems that a lot here blame the customer...because it seems the "yeah man, I'm with ya man" thing to do. It's not her fault. Without the customer/patient/client, we wouldn't be in business.

Have a great day.

Diane
    Waaaaaaaaaaait just a second here.

There's an assumption being made that smells pretty strange here. Nowhere in the original post was it said that glasses were "promised". Was that truly the case? I know that in none of the practices I've ever worked have we ever "promised" a thing when it came to turn time on glasses. Sure, we can tell patients an ETA for a given Rx/frame combination, but we never EVER "promise" anything resembling a hard and fast date or time.

This patient DID come in - presumably with the knowledge that her Rx is a custom made product - and apparently did not have any real intention of paying for her glasses. I have known countless patients over the years who have been strapped for cash, or credit, or were in some "emergency" situation or another, but in every case, we always required some form of down payment at the very least. Even the big box shops are now requiring it in an increasing number of locations.

This patients interactions are highly suspect at best, and I do not believe that the dispensary, nor the OP have in some way "wronged" or "breached" and implied contract with this patient. As an aside, did the patient sign anything promising payment in full if the glasses were delivered by X-date? If so, perhaps some validity might be afforded the patient in this case. However, without that, I believe the OP to be fully justified to try and recoup their break even losses at the least in this case.

Best of luck!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Have a great day.

Diane

I didnt promise her any day in specific i'm taking full responsibilty for not taking a deposit but when someone walks into your store talks to you for a while goes ahead and orders glasses at this point you are trusting each other, i'm just mad because she's not even giving me a chance to explain myself, i'm kind of over it now live and learn i guess, thanks for your advice :)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please pardon me for not closely reading all the responses to your plight. Has anyone yet suggested calling the customer at 3 in the morning, or one, or two........to remind her that her glasses are ready and she may pick them up at her earliest convenience?
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i have not been on in a long time but i think you would actaully have a case of theft of services. it is a actual criminal charge.
    next time you call her document the time and try a few more itmes then if she still refuses tell her that becasue she has refused to pay for the sevices rendered you will be pressing criminal charges.
    of course call your lawer just to double check before you do it
    she entered into a verbal contract and has refused to fullfill her part of the contract.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have a box full of frames that people have not come to pick up. Most of them have balances. You can send her a bill, but if you didn't get her to sign something then you are up the creek if it came down to a legal thing.

You could tell the lab that the patient was not satisfied and ask for a return. Usually there is something in a contract that allows for this.

Thread Information