Thread: Licensed Optician or optical technician?

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Licensed Optician or optical technician?

How do you like those wanted ads that state Lic or unlic. optician wanted? In Florida they are becoming more common practice to advertise like this. In reading the laws here it seems to be ilegal. They are becoming so common that even in our own OB we have them...take a look.

Dannyboy

:o

Bad address email on file
    You know as well as I do, Dannyboy, there's no such thing in Florida as an unlicensed Optician since you can't call yourself an Optician unless you're licensed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Even in here....Jo....

Jo,

It is inmoral for you to keep a post like that in a state that requires licensure. It is in our laws that opticians have to be licensed. I wish I could find out who actually will work there as an unlicensed optician and turn them in to the Department of health.

In view of the above I kindly request that you remove that post or force the individual who posted to edit it. The ad should say Optical technician but not unlicensed optician as there is no such thing here.

Opticians in Florida have fought to get and keep our license. We have done the time either in school or apprenticing and it is a slap in the face when posts like that appear.

Dannyboy

:o Wicked and mad

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Lightbulb

Dannyboy, in light of the number of threads asking about who is called what, does what etc.
    Could you enlighten us with how jobs in Florida are termed and what licences? (do you mean qulifcations) are required,
    Lets start at the top with the hospital eye doc, then the person who tests your eye, then who fits frame/contacts advises lens choice.
    I ask this as a brit who is getting even more confused by the day as to who does what in the states..

I want everybody to understand, you can still practice Opticianry in Florida without being licensed. Florida does not require anybody to be licensed. If you're unlicensed, you can only do Opticianry when there is a Dr. or another licensed Optician on the premises.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PBS The question is not

Optical technician should have been the term used in advertising for an assistant who will be under the direction of the optician or an employee of a doctor. Here in Florida and in the last page of the statute it clearly states that such person cannot hold himself or herself out to the public generally as an optician.

As far as going to the state attorney....
    as someone suggested, no crime has been done... it is just a matter of sensitivity.....more in an ultroistic place like this.... sad but I understand.

Dannyboy

The diryty laundry should always be washed at home.

Licensed or unlicensed optician?!

Interesting comments. I'm sure that this discussion could include all other licensure states and quite frankly any practicing individual in our profession. Danny Boy seems to think that practicing in Florida is against the law unless your licensed? I was under the impression that in licensed state a person may practice opticianary if they work DIRECTLY under the supervision of a state licensed person, and according to some statute they may also work DIRECTLY with an optometrist or opthalmologist. Also some states, North Carolina comes to mind, you must register with the state board to practice. I think New Jersey is another one.
    Also one other comment, to any of us who think that because we are state licensed gives us the upper-hand in being competent opticians as opposed to un-licensed individuals, merely the act for setting for the licesure exam and passing such exam does not make one competent. It is having the knowledge and applying such to your day to day practice of taking the best care of your patients/customers.
    With that being said, NO WAY am I proposing non-licensure. I am stating my opinion that a license does not make a person better. P.S. I currently hold licenses in two states, and am ABO/NCLE certified. But have worked in non-license states and found that being competent is in the eye of the practioner.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Right on, Mudslide!

Nice to see you posting and really nice to see that post.

I am a licensed optician MA, ABO,FNAO(again after a lapse) and I have just over a few years experience in this industry at more than one level.Should I decide to move to Florida,AND decide to take a part time job to supplement my income BUT choose not to become licensed in Florida.......Would I then be any less an optician than I am now? I think not!

There is a beginning (just a beginning) of a move to bring standardization to Opticianry.There is a dicussion currently underway in the Education/Professional organization forum that you might be interested in watching

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...0&pagenumber=1
    I've got to run now but give it a shot.
    hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dannyboy,

Even in here...It is inmoral for you to keep a post like that in a state that requires licensure.
    While I do reside in a Licensed State, OptiBoard does not. OptiBoard is on the internet and doesn't even just reside in the United States; it is an international community at this time. So I feel that it is not immoral of me to leave that post stand.

Don't be too disappointed in me as I do agree with you to a point. There are many places where the professionalism of Opticianry is ignored. It is sad when "Optician" becomes a generic term for any optical worker especially in licensed states. Yes, if those ads were for electricians they would read "Licensed" and "Certified or Apprenticed" but the time, effort and money that folks in licensed states put into their profession is ignored. On the other hand, it may not look professional to say "stylist" and folks may not know what else to use since they aren't familiar with our terminology.

Either way, qualified Opticianry is not being properly presented to the public. The public has the right to know if the person taking care of them is really a trained Optician or not. It is up to us to let the public know what the difference are if others either don't know or don't take professionalism seriously.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused Re: PBS The question is not

Dannyboy said:
    Optical technician should have been the term used in advertising
    Can you please clear up just what this post is ? Over here a Optical technician can be anybody from the glazer to the lab guys, but would get no where near a customer..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not at all saying that is illegal or that it requires a license to practice opticianry if under delegation. What I am referring is that the term Optician cannot be used unless you are licensed. You certainly can do a lot of things under someones license. Unlicensed Opticians simply do not exists in Florida.
    You may have all the masters in ABO or heck even a PH.D. in Optics but without the license you are breaking the law if you choose to call yourself optician in Florida so ... that does make you less of an optician in Florida?No, unless you do not hold the darn paper.

Dannyboy;)
    Last edited by Dannyboy; 03-03-2002 at 03:03 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Dannyboy

What do you think about the 1-800 contact people who are dispensing in Florida as well as the rest of the world and are not licensed Opticians?

Your anger is well deserved but there are only 22 states that are licensed and when you leave the state of Florida are you no longer an Optician? The license must be respected but I hear anger about the nomenclature and that should be focused on working toward a national goal of defining our profession.

:idea: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Doesn't your state have an apprentice program? In NY you can operate under a permit for 2 years and dispense under the surevision od an OD or Licensed Optician. Although, before you take the State Board, you must pass the written ABO. However, for the last 5 years, the state boards have been a breeze to pass. All you need to do know how to use a pair of pliers and fit a progressive lens. I don't know if this helps or not.

:cheers:

Thread Information