Thread: Tint samples?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tint samples?

I don't do any lab work and therefore don't have a tinting unit. I'm starting to get customers who like very heavy double gradients, just like in the 1980s. (blue/rose, green/rose, etc.) My lab doesn't have tint samples, so I have to describe what I want and it usually is too light for the customer. The lab asks for percentages, but there's really no way to measure that accurately, as far as I know.

And it's expensive to make a mistake because I get charged for stripping the A/R and then recoating.

Do you know of any place to get good tint samples? I've looked through a bunch of supply catalogues and they all say "tint samples not included."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    one thing to watch, if you are adding AR, make the tint alittle darker than you would normally would since the AR will lighten it up 5% or more

I would talk with your labs, if they dont have a pre made kit available they should be able to put one together for you and low or no cost.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Measure and strip

Quote Originally Posted by VHB View Post

The lab asks for percentages, but there's really no way to measure that accurately, as far as I know.

And it's expensive to make a mistake because I get charged for stripping the A/R and then recoating.
    ..........up my alley.

With a UV meter that also measures the absorbtion/transmission will give you the exact numbers. Also measure EMC coatings

click to enlarge

And if you do make a mistake, at least strip the AR yourself in 5 to 10 seconds.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by VHB View Post
    I don't do any lab work and therefore don't have a tinting unit. I'm starting to get customers who like very heavy double gradients, just like in the 1980s. (blue/rose, green/rose, etc.) My lab doesn't have tint samples, so I have to describe what I want and it usually is too light for the customer. The lab asks for percentages, but there's really no way to measure that accurately, as far as I know.

Do you know of any place to get good tint samples? I've looked through a bunch of supply catalogues and they all say "tint samples not included."
    This isn't going to help but I just tell patients that those two options are non-compatible. If a patient already wears it or really wants it then order the tint and make sure the patient approves before sending it for AR. The process takes longer but you avoid the dissatisfaction and the remakes.

Also order your tint sample from your lab, this will give you more consistency between your samples and what the lab can provide.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Do you use the same lab for the majority of your work? If so and they wont provide samples for you I would take a hard look at other labs. In my opinion that is poor customer service and providing you with samples would be a small cost to them. IF you love this lab and dont want to leave than maybe ask to share in the cost of the samples. I also suggest only offering the most commom color combinations as samples since mult. colors only complicates it for everyone. Also your lab will need to have a set of the same samples on hand to alow them to "match" your set as well even if they have only one person who does their tinting since tint hue colors vary by age ( hours used). Hope this helps.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not to be rude, but we all complain about patients wanting freebies. You should expect to pay a lab for samples. They are wholesale without your retail mark-up. You'll pay for the samples faster than them. As long as their fee is fair and they can match the samples, pay for them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It never occurred to me not to pay for samples! My lab simply doesn't offer them. I'm not sure what made you think I was asking for a freebie.

Occupation
    We offer our tint samples for free...... all an account has to do is ask for them. We'll send a sample of any color at any density requested.

Strangest one I saw was a Blue/Rose gradient veritically, with a 50% grey gradient horizontally from temporal to nasal.....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My opinion was not directed toward you, it was for those whom suggest labs do things for free.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    My opinion was not directed toward you, it was for those whom suggest labs do things for free.
    There are some things wholesale labs should do for free. Tint samples are one of them.

Yes, I work in a small independant wholesale lab. Yes we do our tint samples at no charge.

We've found that good customer service creates happy customers, and happy customers generate more revenue than unhappy customers. The cost for the tint blanks is negligible compared to the amount of good will and appreciation our cusomers have.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thats very generous WF! I, like VHB would expect to cover costs.

:cheers:

Thread Information