Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Got Asked for a PD Today (First Time)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Who is right ???????????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post

The source?..........An increase due to people leaving glasses purchased from internet sellers, because they don't work!

WIN WIN!

COASTAL CONTACTS INC NAMED AS ONE OF THE TOP 25 EXPORTERS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA

Vancouver, BC – October 5, 2010 - Coastal Contacts Inc., the world’s largest online retailer of contact lenses and eyeglasses, was named by the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) and the Ministry of Small Business, Technology and Economic Development to receive a BC Export Award as one of the top 25 exporters in British Columbia in 2010.

Coastal Contacts Inc, exports contact lenses and eyeglasses to more than 150 countries around the world. Currently in their tenth year of business, Coastal Contacts has become the largest online retailer in Canada with fiscal 2009 revenues of $140 million.

"We are honored to be named among the top exporters in the province, and we will continue to expand our reach globally, extending the positive impact it has on the economy in British Columbia." states Founder and CEO Roger Hardy.

Coastal Contacts Inc employs more than 230 employees in their Vancouver based head office, supporting all business functions internally. In the past two years the Company has built a world class eyeglasses manufacturing facility in Vancouver, creating more than 80 new full time positions.

The BC Export Awards are co-hosted annually by Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME) and the Ministry of Small Business, Technology and Economic development.
    -30-

About Coastal Contacts:
    Coastal Contacts Inc. is the world’s leading direct-to-consumer vision products company which designs, produces and distributes a diversified offering of contact lenses and eyeglasses. The Company’s unique combination of branded and private label products represent quality, value and above all, service. Coastal sells into more than 150 countries through proprietary web properties which reflect the culture and consumer preference of the target market. As new markets for eyeglasses and contact lenses evolve, the Company is positioned to become the vision product consumer’s retailer of choice owing to its compelling value proposition combining value and service. A leader in many of its markets, Coastal is rapidly advancing toward its goal of becoming the "World’s Optical Store".

http://media.integratir.com/t.coa/Pr...rt%20Award.pdf

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was asked if I would neutralize a pair of glasses and hand the findings to the person. I declined.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper If Coastal sells 10,000 pairs a day, who gives the PD's ???.........................

If Coastal sells 10,000 pairs a day, who gives the PD's ???.........................

How do we explain that ? Are either opticians ignorant of these facts or just prefer to ignore the threat to their liveli hood until its finally too late ?

What prohibits another company to become another big startup in the on ligne opticals ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PDs don't matter to most.

Just poll any OTC wearer

B

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was asked for a PD last week, she was upfront and told me she was getting a cheap pair online, but would also buy a pair from me.. so whoring myself out ...I did it! She did buy a pair, but I let her know there is a difference between what she was being asked for "62" and actually measuring monocular PDs and OC ht. I let her know my SV lenses are freeform which provided quality that can not be achieved online... all this making me feel better "I was superior" to tell her all this.

Two days ago I have an elderly woman in a wheelchair she bought progressives online ..she couldn't see, they were drill mount, transition, ar coated.. she paid $200. I wonder now did someone "give" her a PD and she thought she was good to go. You don't even know their rx, if its expired if they are a
    -5.00 or what.. I was a *****, but not any more. It's not about an extra $20 in ur pocket, its about that person.. maybe its ur 75 year old mother that thinks she can stretch her social security money to get eyewear online and pay the electric, or a young mom with 2 kids at home.. Id rather sell them the "right" pair and make $20 profit and go to sleep with a good conscious then get $20 bucks for a PD.

Standards are being side stepped. We all need to revolt against this. Tell your frame reps my story.. email them a copy.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by framehustler View Post
    your frame reps my story.. email them a copy.
    Maybe after it has been edited for grammar, clarity, and point.

Quote Originally Posted by jefe
    I was asked if I would neutralize a pair of glasses and hand the findings to the person. I declined.

I would decline, too

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    lets be honest. with a steady hand, a school ruler and a mirror, they've got their pd. Once they figure this our, we're in trouble.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

That ain't a P.D.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jynxy View Post
    lets be honest. with a steady hand, a school ruler and a mirror, they've got their pd. Once they figure this our, we're in trouble.
    Welcome to the forum, jinx!! Since this is your first post...I'll go easy on you

Let's be really honest...what you describe is a self-measurement that would not, repeat not be used by any caring ECP to fabricate a pair of eyewear for any consumer. It will suffice for an on-line internutter order, cause they don't care what number you provide, as long as you provide one! If you are truly an "optometrist", and I highly doubt it, you slept through a few classes.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm with you. What I'm saying is we've got to see it from the "internutters" point of view. They read the wikipedia definition of pd and put two and two together. Some of the online companies are even offering "free pd rulers". This area is going to explode and rather than berate, which will not in any way stop the drift to online, a different strategy is required for tackling this major problem. Big question is how to do this?

Thread Information