Thread: The Sunglass Discussion Redux

Occupation
    Optometrist

The Sunglass Discussion Redux

We've been doing wrap sunglasses primarily with Bolle and Serengeti using the Sola Spazio lens. This lens was not available in Canada but our Sola distributor would send them south of the border to get Rx'ed.

Now they have "brought the technology" to Canada and are doing the lenses here. Big problem is, they are not the same lenses! They will take a -2.00 in an 8 base wrap and lenticulate it! Frankly, it looks like doo-doo. I'm embarrassed to dispense these.

So, what to do, what to do? I've really liked ordering these frame/lens combos because the Sola distributor is also the Bolle/Serengeti distributor, so we get the holy grail of wrap Rx sunwear - we don't have to pay for a pair of 8 base plano lenses which are useless to the consumer. Up until they changed lens designs this was a perfect system. Now they tell us there is no way we can go back to what we were getting.

We have a different lab which is more than happy to do our 8 base wraps, but our price point will have to go up if we're paying for plano lenses whenever we order a sunglass. Are there any sunglass companies that will sell you the frame (must be sporty/wrap frames) without lenses?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I take it you like the Bolle/Serengetti frames OK? I'm interested.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The "lenticulation" *is* a basic part of proper Spazio fabrication.

If you don't like it, try Auto II Sv Attitude, or Ice Tech, who does the lenticulation very nicely, IMHO.

Barry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The "lenticulation" *is* a basic part of proper Spazio fabrication.

If you don't like it, try Auto II Sv Attitude, or Ice Tech, who does the lenticulation very nicely, IMHO.

Barry
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. The lenses we used to get looked very much like plano sun lenses, just thicker at the edges. I'm sure there was some peripheral thinning, but it was not obvious in any way. My optician has a set and finds little/no distortion peripherally. The "new" ones look like a myodisc, with a distinct line between optic and carrier. Think fried egg. Not a good look, and incredibly distracting when wearing.

While this change precipitated the problem, my real search is for decent ophthalmic suns that do not come with lenses. That was what we were getting, as long as it was all done through this one company. Since they can't supply a satisfactory product I now have to pay full wholesale (with lenses) and then put in lenses as well. Higher wholesale cost = higher retail cost = less happy patients.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You should be able to order the frames from the vendor without the demo lenses at a lower cost. You still have to find a lab that can do the job to your satisfaction, but that should help cut the costs some. Check with the frame vendors.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you order the frame as a "Lab Supply?" Would that be of any help, if the lab ordered the frame, knowing they were going to fabricate lenses themselves for you? I'm sure you could work that out.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Costa sells "frame only" and the price is a good bit less than their completes. You could keep the completes as demos or for plano sun sales and then order the frame only and have them drop shipped to your lab.

Thread Information