Thread: looking for a vsp lab for 1.74 trans grey

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

looking for a vsp lab for 1.74 trans grey

Hey guys,
    My VSP lab which is walman or twin city can not get seiko or nikon 1.74 trans does any one know of a vsp lab that I could use? Thanx
    Jamie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't believe such a creature exists. Best of luck.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie w View Post
    Hey guys,
    My VSP lab which is walman or twin city can not get seiko or nikon 1.74 trans does any one know of a vsp lab that I could use? Thanx
    Jamie
    Try Luzerne, they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann
    You'd be surprised what Essilor doesn't have.

Moderators note:

In as much as no one has mentioned Essilor to date in this thread, this should be viewed as a cheap shot and one designed to rant once again on a company that has done a lot more for this industry than has the author of this sentence could do in a hundred lifetimes.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 05-17-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: It's a question of balance - HCJ on the Moody Blues

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    It's brand-new from Seiko. Just released two months ago. Available only in SV stock right now. Every time I have had to order it I have had to convince the lab that it was available. Mine look nice with an Endura EZ A/R.

Try Precision in MN. I got mine from there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Try Luzerne, they have it.

It would be overpriced anyway if they had it!

Moderator's note:
    Jamie's an Optician. He thinks it should be free! I do admire the attempt to kick the rant up a notch however.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 05-17-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: a question of balance hcj on the moody blues

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You got that right, for the time being the 1.74 is stock powers only. So SV stock is all that's available, it comes without AR so you have to add one of the labs AR's but they do both Zeiss and they have a coating EVC that's great. I can't wait until they have their FF lenses available in the 1.74 transitions, then we're on.

Current Range: -3.00 to -10.00 (0.25D Steps), up to -2.00 cyl

Press Release: http://www.seikoeyewear.com/seiko/pr...cfm?prodID=202

I've heard about this product for the last 6 or better months but I'm finally seeing labs offering it. I would guess it's a production issue. Different 1.74 material than Essilors.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Mine work very nicely. There is a bit more residual color than in 1.67 Transitions, but they change nice and quickly.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so the lens is out of range for my pt who is a OD -12.25-1.75X90 ?
    OS -13.00-2.75X90

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For now it seems like. Eventually they will have it semi-finished for those who think it will be perfect for their highest-minus patients/customers. It still won't be.
    Someone REALLY needs to make the 1.70 in an aspheric/atoric photochromic. That way the high myopes can get photochromic lenses that they can actually SEE out of.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    agree 100%

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    For now it seems like. Eventually they will have it semi-finished for those who think it will be perfect for their highest-minus patients/customers. It still won't be.
    Someone REALLY needs to make the 1.70 in an aspheric/atoric photochromic. That way the high myopes can get photochromic lenses that they can actually SEE out of.
    Agreed

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, it's our May Stock Lens Special and the price is awesome!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Moderators note:

In as much as no one has mentioned Essilor to date in this thread, this should be viewed as a cheap shot and one designed to rant once again on a company that has done a lot more for this industry than has the author of this sentence could do in a hundred lifetimes.

Moderator's note:
    Jamie's an Optician. He thinks it should be free! I do admire the attempt to kick the rant up a notch however.

Hey, these "Moderator's Notes" are funny! Were these really moderated? haha

:cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Actually, it's our May Stock Lens Special and the price is awesome!

Judy, could you PM me some info?? Thanks!

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Moderators note:

I was actually pointing out to Uilleann how being totally into one companies offereings can leave you blind to newer technology. Also my statement reads:

If I am wrong and Essilor has this offering please post it, otherwise every part of that statement stands true, however your comment makes my post seem confrontational and actually changes the content of my posts to seem negative instead of my intent which is to be enlightening. I would hope that Uilleann doesn't take the post in a negative light but hcjilson seems to want to insight some sort of confrontation, also I don't see how a post from hcjilson wouldn't have accomplished the same thing as changing a posts other than making the impression of having some sort of power. Mr Jilson power is a responsibility and it is a shame to see you use yours so lightly. I wonder if this board has a moderator for the moderators?

Instant response from someone who is not at all fooled by the above paragraph. The reason I am doing this here is not to abuse power, but to keep the discussion focused on its salient points. Regarding your paragraph above.

I'll stand by what I said. It seems to be an easy thing to explain away after the fact..........if it were not for your membership in a club without dues or worthwhile purpose.I can't say this came without advance notice. I said a few weeks back that there were many members sick and tired of the constant anti large corporations ranting that has been going on for far too long. You drive good members away and make those who stay not want to post for fear of involvement. I speak for more than myself when I say we're sick of it. If you want to rant against a major player and think it's that important, you can pay for the privilege, just don't do it on a public forum.

I did not change one word you wrote, nor did I change the meaning. Hell YOU wrote it, not me.Someone complained and I responded. I will continue to respond until the need for it has passed. You control that. Can you hear me now?
    Last edited by hcjilson; 05-17-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: still a question of balance- someone should look it up, or play the album.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyejim View Post
    Hey, these "Moderator's Notes" are funny! Were these really moderated? haha

:cheers:
    This moderator seems to think he has the right to add his opinion to others posts and has not considered the ramifications of changing posts and changing the meaning of a posts by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson
    a company that has done a lot more for this industry than has the author of this sentence could do in a hundred lifetimes.
    One innovation, the design of equipment to produce a progressive surface. They did not create the progressive or the concept. Owen Aves was granted the first patent almost 40 years before. Before Aves patent many texts discussed the possibility of what we now call PALs. Between the Aves and the first commercially available PAL, AO also had a patent for a design. Essilor was started by someone with great mechanical engineering ability, the company then was managed by those with great marketing ability, and now they are run by those with great strategic ability. The days of innovation are gone and believe me I would be the first to want to see innovation. The one saving grace is the incorporation of additional biometrics into their design with the Ipseo, truly creates a custom design for the patients postural nuances, if they focused half of their attention to improving rather than choking out the competition this company can continue to be the leader in PALs but they're not and they are slowly fading IMO.

I have proof of higher fees for products from one of the companies and would be willing to put up price lists to prove my statements of higher prices, I also have price lists for coatings from this company that should astronomical prices for their products with comparable products even their own lab labeled products costing significantly less. According to eyeoverheard.com:

In a related development, Axhi Sabani, a resident of Madison, Wis. filed an indirect purchaser antitrust class action suit in a Wisconsin circuit court against the three companies on March 16. According to court documents, Sabani alleges that Transitions Optical and the Essilor defendants engaged in “exclusionary acts and practices in the photochromic lens industry” that “include entering into exclusive dealing arrangements that foreclose its rivals from key distribution channels.” The suit claims that Transitions’ conduct has led to “higher prices, lower output, reduced innovation and diminished consumer choice in Wisconsin,” the court documents said.
    Higher prices, reduced innovation, and diminished customer choice are some of the charges against this company. I have facts to back up my statements

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You trying to hijack this thread???

I hate to throw a wet blanket on this history lesson (somewhat but not all faulty) but isn't the subject of the thread supposed to be

looking for a vsp lab for 1.74 trans grey?
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    I hate to throw a wet blanket on this history lesson (somewhat but not all faulty) but isn't the subject of the thread supposed to be

looking for a vsp lab for 1.74 trans grey?
    To which I replied with:

1) A Supplier
    2) A Press Release
    3) A Range of Powers
    4) A Comment

What else could I posts about the subject. You seemed to have come into the thread and post nothing but nonsense and want to instigate some sort of confrontation with me.[Oh I see now, its ok for you to say whatever you want, but not me hj] I think that it is more than relevent to discuss E since they were one of the first in the US with MR-174 material and they are also 49% owner in Transitions. I don't see how any discussion of a new and improved 1.74 material can ignore E. Anyway it was a comment about the lack of information it was turned into more by you. You'll notice that the only parts of this thread that are off topic are yours and now mine since I keep addressing you.[ I believe it was you who first said "You'd be surprised what Essilor doesn't have." You said it in the third post of this thread. That was off topic by any stretch of the imagination and a thinly disguised attempt to turn the thread into a rant. I called you on it and your ego was bruised. I don't really care, my point was to stop it before it escalated. I tried a new tactic because nothing we have done so far seems to have worked. hj] If I truly broke a rule then close the thread and move on.

Moderator's note to the spectators:
    I apologize for the interuption to this thread. I will not make a habit of jumping inside someone else's post in the future, unless circumstances warrant. I did it in this case to show anyone who is interested that we are fed up with some of the ranting going on. YrahG broke no rules but has skirted around at least one of them. It is not fair to malign a company who is not here to defend themselves against unsubstantiated claims. This is not the purpose of a community of eyecare professionals. We belittle ourselves when we allow others to act in this manner and say nothing.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 05-18-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: still going for the balance thing maybe it gets through this time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was actually pointing out to Uilleann how being totally into one companies offereings can leave you blind to newer technology. Also my statement reads:

If I am wrong and Essilor has this offering please post it, otherwise every part of that statement stands true, however your comment makes my post seem confrontational and actually changes the content of my posts to seem negative instead of my intent which is to be enlightening. I would hope that Uilleann doesn't take the post in a negative light...
    No, I'm sorry. Once again you make sweeping assumptions about individuals (in this thread, yet again myself), practices, lab pricing structures, and business models which you know absolutely NOTHING about. Your own experiences and personal opinions in and about the optical industry are precisely that - your own experience and opinions. They are no more or less valid than any of the rest of us out there in the wide wide world. And if I may be perfectly blunt about it, many of your posts here are inflammatory and blatantly rude.

Essilor does not currently offer a SV, 1.74, Transitions® branded lens - that was never the argument. Unfortunately for the original poster, NO lens exists currently in the required Rx within those parameters. The Essilor bashing was old five years ago, and it's old today. The personal attacks, jabs, slinging of mud, etc. also have no place on what many of us feel is a relatively professional forum. Give it a rest.

For the OP, we do wish you the best of luck in finding a suitable lens for your patient. Perhaps you can post a follow-up for the rest of us as to what your solution is? All the best!

Brian~
    Last edited by Uilleann; 05-19-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    VSP lab in Ohio should have it because they have to have EVERYTHING to try to make all VSP providers happy.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

1.74 Transitions Availability

As of now...no manufacture has a 1.74 PAL lens with Transitions if that is what you are seeking. Appears there may be a new SV lens. Very limited availability.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would encourage all to use Darryl's ET calculator on Opticampus before splurging on the 1.74...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I would encourage all to use Darryl's ET calculator on Opticampus before splurging on the 1.74...
    Simply the greatest sales tool ever. I use it all the time and explain what I'm doing. Shows that I'm on the patients side and doing whats in their best interest financially and optically
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Thread Information