Thread: Increased demand on eye care providers

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Increased demand on eye care providers

I assume that you all heard that Congressional Budget Office has released a new estimate attributing $115 billion in additional spending to the new national health care law, driving the full cost over the first decade to over $1 trillion. An estimated 35 million new patients will soon be seeking eye care services.

Have you or your practice started to implement plans for this tremendous increase in business?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're seeing one or 2 a day getting an exam and glasses that they were not eligible before Massachusetts passed the law the National Health Care bill is modeled after.

Yes it is proving to be more expensive but some of that is coming back to my OD's practice.

And never forget what we've had is unsustainable.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone know if benefits will apply to all providers (Independent Opticians) or just to OD or MD offices? How does it work in Mass?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I assume that you all heard that Congressional Budget Office has released a new estimate attributing $115 billion in additional spending to the new national health care law, driving the full cost over the first decade to over $1 trillion. An estimated 35 million new patients will soon be seeking eye care services.

Have you or your practice started to implement plans for this tremendous increase in business?
    Drop in the bucket compared to what Bush has spent.
    http://www.costofwar.com/
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thousands of working poor now qualify for an exam and glasses under Commonwealth Care. Income guidelines are in place where people sign up and pay for basic health insurance on an income adjusted scale administered by existing companies like Fallon and Tufts. BCBS currently does not participate. If the insurance company has a facility that has a dispensary patients can go there. Fortunately for us we have none nearby and are Fallon providers so they get the exam and glasses from our doc's.

As I understand it and I could be wrong unless you are a provider for that patients insurance you have no way of billing the insurance for the glasses

We have an expanded collection of Medicaid type frames and charge U+C for basic sv or lined bi's CR-39 which are reimbursed less 20%. Add on's or upgrades are allowed and charged to the patient by us as a private transaction.

This will undoubtedly change in the near future as the numbers crunchers note the difference from medicaid vs Commonwealth Care costs. And like our bookkeeper says in the very near future it's going to be a choice between VSP and Eye-Med (if VSP survives!).

This is my understanding of how this is working.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Boys, don't get too excited. In the long run, vision care is going to be off the table, and it will be strictly a retail transaction.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Boys, don't get too excited. In the long run, vision care is going to be off the table, and it will be strictly a retail transaction.
    Please please please please
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am concerned! In the state of Wisconsin, they have added several thousand people on the state medicaid program for the uninsured. What this has meant for my office is the same people that were buying $300.00 complete pairs, are now getting the state selection of glasses. My payback for dispensing of glasses is around $23.00.(we can't make the glasses in house, contracted labs get that) It takes a whole lot of $23.00 sales to make up the loss in eyeglass sales. As for the exams, we have been about equal compared to the last year, retail eyeglass sales have dropped about 45% since they implemented the new state health care. I guess it depends on the state. Governor James Doyle says he is proud to have added all the uninsured, He also stated the we are near bankruptcy in the state because of all the new people on the new health insurance.
    I hope it doesn't effect eyecare, BUT here it already has!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by TEC View Post
    I am concerned! In the state of Wisconsin, they have added several thousand people on the state medicaid program for the uninsured. What this has meant for my office is the same people that were buying $300.00 complete pairs, are now getting the state selection of glasses. My payback for dispensing of glasses is around $23.00.(we can't make the glasses in house, contracted labs get that) It takes a whole lot of $23.00 sales to make up the loss in eyeglass sales. As for the exams, we have been about equal compared to the last year, retail eyeglass sales have dropped about 45% since they implemented the new state health care. I guess it depends on the state. Governor James Doyle says he is proud to have added all the uninsured, He also stated the we are near bankruptcy in the state because of all the new people on the new health insurance.
    I hope it doesn't effect eyecare, BUT here it already has!
    I'm waiting for those state government bean counters to suggest that with every Eye exam provided the "newly covered poor" comes a coupon good for 3 pair of glasses from any of the On-line wholesalers and a list of their websites.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Thread Information