Thread: Ghost image (reflection?)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Ghost image (reflection?)

I have a customer that we made a set of glasses for. He complains that ,only when really dark, there appear ghost images or reflections in his lenses. He doesn't see them during the day with either his old glasses or the new ones. However he does not see them with his old glasses at night.
    Rx:

+1.25-.75 X120 6BO prism
    +1.00-.75 X80 6BO prism
    +2.50 add.

First we put him in 1.67 (5 base), then had an Rx change and since he complained about reflections, the Dr ordered them to be remade in CR-39 (6 base), which is what he's already wearing.
    I've added a light tint, no go. Checked his old glasses, they were on a 4 base so we remade them to match. Frame size is 2 mm larger. Rx is +.25 more OU, .25 cylinder strengthened, slight axis shift OD. RX prism the same.
    He has no AR on either pair - that was my first thought.
    Cupping the lenses with his hands around the temporal edges produces no effect.
    Wrap, panto, vertex have been matched with his old pair, no avail.
    Anyone else have any ideas?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ghosting image in each eye individually at night?

I would check oc and ct. if that checks out try over refracting 1BO, 1BI in a dark room to shift the images.

Good luck, you're fixin' to need it. :D

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The mystery is that it continues in spite of covering the periphery which would seem to indicate it has nothing to do with the 12 degrees of prism. What is the light source that is causing the reflection? The thought occurred to me that perhaps the problem is not articulated properly. What does he see a reflection of? Have you suggested that he get them AR'd? I wouldn't think 2mm wider would produce something akin to what he describes, but you could fill volumes with what I don't know.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 05-11-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clean up
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I just talked with him some more. His problem begins when he's watching TV while it gets dark. When it is sufficiently dark, he gets the reflections, and when he then turns on some ambient light, the reflections disappear. I know- I just told him to not watch TV in total darkness, but his question is still - why don't his old ones do the same?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this phenomenon confined to one location? (i.e: in his bedroom in front of the television). Does it happen anywhere else other than there? Just an idea, but it may be induced by this particular environment which, when combined with differences in the lenses, create the problem. Complete shot in the dark (no pun intended)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    C. C. Barr*1, L. WVoluntary, Non-Visual Control of The Human Vestibulo-Ocular Reflex

. Schultheis*1 and D. A. Robinson*1† 1Department of Ophthalmology, The Wilmer Institute, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Md, USA
    Correspondence: D. A. Robinson, Dept. of Ophthalmology Rm. 355 Woods Research Building The Johns Hopkins Hospital 601 N. Broadway, Baltimore, Md, 21205, USA

Voluntary control of the human vestibulo-ocular reflex with and without visual targets was investigated. Subjects were rotated sinusoidally from 0.1 to 1.0 Hz using d.c. electro-oculography to record eye position. The ratio of eye to head movement, or gain, of the vestibulo-ocular reflex was measured. When subjects were rotated in the dark at 0.3 Hz whilst performing mental arithmetic the gain was 0.65. When subjects were asked to fixate imaginary targets in the dark that were stationary in space, the gain rose to 0.95. When they imagined targets rotating with them on the chair, the gain dropped to 0.35. Our results indicate that the ability to modulate the gain of the vestibulo-ocular reflex does not depend entirely on the smooth pursuit system. Higher centers must modulate eye velocity so that it is appropriate to the subject's choice of a frame of reference, whether or not vision is available.

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs...16487609119974

Thread Information