Thread: High Minus, large head!!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused High Minus, large head!!!!

OK so I think I finially have met my macth with rx fit to frame. I recently had a pt with a minus 13.50 RX OU. He came in very unhappy with his current pair he was wearing from a large optical retailer. I agree with him they are the worst thickness ive ever seen in lenses.

Here is my problem. The pt has a large head ,which makes me have to put him into larger eyesize frames. Well To make his lens thickness go down I was thinking smaller and rounder, which will not work due to the size of his head. I am going to use a SV hi index 1.74 lens which will help but ultimalty I need a good frame to get the job done any sugestions?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've had luck w/ the xxl modified rect. from A&A. Made for a large head, softer edges for a rounder look, and temples that come out so the eye size doesn't have to be that large.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Of course you have to ask him- which do you want more- clearer vision or thinner lenses. Pick one. Can't have both. 1.74 has the same poor ABBE value as 1.67, and as a former -15.00, I can tell you that at that size and Rx, there will be issues with the ABBE. So, since the difference in thickness between 1.70 and 1.74 is very small, you can drop the 1.74 and go with the 1.70 and he will experience far better off-axis vision than with the 1.74. It's often too easy to just jump to the highest index, but until you've experienced the visual problems at high Rx and low ABBE, you just can't fully understand the difference.
    So, to sum up:

1.70 index
    XXL frames from A&A= thumbs up!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    clearvision has a line of frames made for people with larger heads... and they look somewhat modern... my office manager is a -15.50 and i just put her in the 1.74 autograph II free form lens and she loves it. they look decent for being a -15.50 and she gets good optics out of the lens. just a suggestion for what its worth.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Believe me she would be surprised at how much better the off-axis view would be with 1.70. Most people don't notice any poor performance of the lens until they try one with better performance. I had a pair of perfectly good, but perfectly useless 1.67 Gradal Top lenses that had only a very small area of clear vision through the center of the lens. I could not turn my eyes very far, had to turn my head and everything had a sort of glinty cast to it. Then Hoya came up with the 1.70 and I never got anything else. Until after cataract surgery.Then it's Trivex, baby.

have her try the Hoya ID LIfestyle in 1.70, she'll throw away those 1.74s.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Meniscus?

What would be the benefit and downside to having his Rx made as a Myodisc as well as the 1.70?
    Last edited by Strab; 05-06-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Meniscus? Do you mean myodisc?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think he means bi-concave.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    or throw a note over to allen (awtech on optiboard) and ask him to work out a lens for you. Maybe a Myodisc that feathers back down to a thinner edge? He's doing some interesting stuff with high minus rx's and his freeform machines..
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    The off axis optics on a biconcave are terrible.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    The off axis optics on a biconcave are terrible.
    Agreed.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Meniscus? Do you mean myodisc?
    LOL oops! Too funny I was absolutely talking earlier with a pt. about the meniscus in his knees. Yes I did mean myodisc. Thanks for the correction:)

If the off axis optics are terrible at what point would a myodisc become a good choice? I have used a myodisc only on one pt. before and he was a -15.00 with no complaints but that was 5 years ago or more. He had no complaints but again he may not have known what he was missing and apparently neither did I.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Why not a customized silhouette TMA?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Strab View Post
    LOL oops! Too funny I was absolutely talking earlier with a pt. about the meniscus in his knees. Yes I did mean myodisc. Thanks for the correction:)

If the off axis optics are terrible at what point would a myodisc become a good choice? I have used a myodisc only on one pt. before and he was a -15.00 with no complaints but that was 5 years ago or more. He had no complaints but again he may not have known what he was missing and apparently neither did I.
    I wouldn't go to a myodisk at that power. Granted it would be a a rather large myodisk at that power. Much simpler to go to 1.70 index.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Listen to the dragon. He's been there.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by xmaslightman View Post
    OK so I think I finially have met my macth with rx fit to frame. I recently had a pt with a minus 13.50 RX OU.

I am going to use a SV hi index 1.74 lens which will help but ultimalty I need a good frame to get the job done any sugestions?
    [QUOTE=DragonLensmanWV;344056

have her try the Hoya ID LIfestyle in 1.70, she'll throw away those 1.74s.[/QUOTE]

Why let her try Hoya ID Lifestyle? This is multifocal lens as far as I know and xmaslightman is talking about single vision lens only. Maybe you mean Eyry 1.70.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Reylynn View Post
    Why let her try Hoya ID Lifestyle? This is multifocal lens as far as I know and xmaslightman is talking about single vision lens only. Maybe you mean Eyry 1.70.

I was referring to post #4. The 1.74 index Autograph II. I've worn both and I liked the ID LIfestyle better.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I will second kcount. I just sent a -17.50-7.00X90/-17.00-5.00X90 to Allen's(AWTECH) lab, Ice Tech, FF is the way to go with an RX frame situation like you have.

I'd go with a 1.70 for acuity reasons.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with ScottV....go with a custom shape in a Silhouette minimal Art. Choose a bridge based on P.D. and use the M.E.D. method of size and shape control,

Do an edge polish and if your client is adventurous......tattoo design on the edge of lens, using the thickness to his advantage.

uncut

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I was referring to post #4. The 1.74 index Autograph II. I've worn both and I liked the ID LIfestyle better.
    I think they meant the 1.74 Autograph II Single Vision....

I would say, no matter what material, that a Free Form Single vision is the best bet for visual acuity, whether it Shamir's or ICE-TECH, or whosever.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information