Thread: 52wks/yr multiplied by 18...

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

52wks/yr multiplied by 18...

Means I've stabbed either my thumb or index finger almost 1000 times now with my screwdriver.

I swear it happens at least once a week - and the crappier the frame, the more likely it is to happen thanks to poor workmanship from the lamination or electroplating, shotty screws, or dumb designs that put the eyewire closure in the worst possible place.

Okay, I'm done now. :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awww. I feel your pain. Maybe not as frequently, but I feel it. Have you tried using an anvil? I can still slip off one of those, but it really comes in handy sometimes when I don't want to use my thumb as a brace.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope you have had a tetanus shot! Usually driver slippage is due to choosing the wrong size of blade. Call a good tool supplier and rearm yourself with new screwdrivers with a wide variety of blades. Give your old drivers to a lab guy to redesign, and retrue, as some of them are salvageable.
    Ouch!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There was a time when this happened with alarming frequency. I use the counter top, anvil, many sizes of screwdriver blades and as a last resort hand it off to the lab guy. I haven't stabbed myself in over a year but I heard him cussing the other day. He uses acetone as a disenfectant because he say's that's what opticians used in the old days. No wonder he cusses.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The next time it happens, leave the blade stuck in your thumb, and it will serve as a reminder to be more careful. It's a little tricky putting gloves on in the winter, but in the long run, it's worth it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Acetone? I've given it the name "Cutfinder".

Worst thing I did was once, long ago, I had a Victory Barone frame in Antique Bronze that had a very thick coating and the eyewire screw was recalcitrant. I finally got so mad I grabbed the screwdriver and stabbed the top of the workbench twice, real hard. Problem was, the workbench was plywood covered in vinyl flooring and the screwdriver blade stuck in the bench with the first stab, and the second stab had my hand come down on this upward-pointing screwdriver blade. It entered my hand just below my pinky and came out in my palm. I suddenly was no longer mad at the frame.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I trust your anger management course went well?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I trust your anger management course went well?

Yes, I've never gotten that mad at a frame since.:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use the tried and true bench block. Saves the fingers a great deal. I've got callouses down the side of my index finger from all the stabbings. Clean those wounds! Nothing worse than having to pull face cheese from out of a screwdriver piercings!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Been there done that myself a few times and still do. Once I was training a girl in the lab to mount a metal frame and stuck my self good. When I pulled the screw driver out the blade still stuck in my finger from the hard caluses I had also from playing guitar, the girl saw it sticking in my finger and passed out. Gotta be more careful with these youngins, she went to lunch and never came back. WHAD i DO??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post
    Means I've stabbed either my thumb or index finger almost 1000 times now with my screwdriver.

I swear it happens at least once a week - and the crappier the frame, the more likely it is to happen thanks to poor workmanship from the lamination or electroplating, shotty screws, or dumb designs that put the eyewire closure in the worst possible place.

Okay, I'm done now. :cheers:
    The upside is you missed the lens - can't fix them with a band-aid. My Dad always told us it didn't count unless it came out the backside - otherwise you're just whinin' - so get back to work!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    Been there done that myself a few times and still do. Once I was training a girl in the lab to mount a metal frame and stuck my self good. When I pulled the screw driver out the blade still stuck in my finger from the hard caluses I had also from playing guitar, the girl saw it sticking in my finger and passed out. Gotta be more careful with these youngins, she went to lunch and never came back. WHAD i DO??

Heh heh, when I was in college I had been playing bass guitar for some years and with those old Rotosound strings, you developed mondo callouses. One day in my most elementary Biology class we were given some dissection trays and pins. Now, the table I was at, I was with 5 girls whose majors were Education and this was a required class, so they hung with me because I was the only Zoology major and was the best student in that class. So, end result, they sit down, I had previously stuck 5 dissection pins into each of my fingertips, and I held up my hand and waved my pinny fingers at them and three of them did pass out. EEEK!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

finger

I only put the blade clear through my finger only once in 35 years, but stabbed myself often. Hockey pucks make excellent bench blocks .

Make sure your blades are sharp so they don;t hurt so much as they enter your finger
    Money carefully refunded

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    The upside is you missed the lens - can't fix them with a band-aid.
    spear the finger, spare the lens

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wrap a double thickness of the microfiber cloth around the finger most likely to be speared, throw said cloth away when it begins to look like cheesecloth.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cleyes View Post
    I wrap a double thickness of the microfiber cloth around the finger most likely to be speared, throw said cloth away when it begins to look like cheesecloth.
    coward

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Having known great pain and humiliation MANY times, Yup, cowardice, it's a good thing.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, kids, the first time I speared anything I speared a lens! I remember it well, although it was 27 years ago.
    It was a beveled lens, plus power (of course), in a 7x28 tri. In that particular office, the optical bench faced the patient, and I ran that blade right across the lens. Not one of my better moments. Don't remember reordering that lens or anything else. I guess I'm blocking it out...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Metzger View Post
    I only put the blade clear through my finger only once in 35 years, but stabbed myself often. Hockey pucks make excellent bench blocks .

Make sure your blades are sharp so they don;t hurt so much as they enter your finger
    Hockey pucks...carefully hacksawed in 1/2 with two screws attached to bench front will save a lot of fingers. Filed with various angles gives you the perfect backstops for working on frames. One puck gives you two bench coverage. Cheapest piece of equipment I ever invested in, just attend a hockey game. Oh yes.....heads up and eyes on the ice, or you may miss catching that new aquisition!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another micro cloth wrapped around the lens, tightly held, will protect it also, 'specially the expensive one. Works well even when I'm smart enough to use my bench block. SLIP HAPPENS!

Rising Star OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Try this....

If you assemble all day, you're going to get yourself eventually. I buy leather thimbles from McMaster Carr and the poor dead cows take 99% of the blow.

Check it out: http://www.mcmaster.com/#finger-cots/=70n1xc

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've said this before: someone needs to make
    impenetrable

Kevlar finger cots!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information