Thread: Rx-able sunglasses, sold as is, what're the optics like?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Rx-able sunglasses, sold as is, what're the optics like?

I have checked many lenses in these, many are sorely lacking. Put in front of a projector, the image varies from slight blur to almost unreadable letters. Some manufacturers do a decent job, most seem to use demos. Do you check them? Sell them as frames with lenses extra?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    As a sunglass rep, I was impressed the first time a customer took a pair of Maui Jim's, an Adidas and my Kaenon sunglasses into the room to do this projector test. Both my Kaenon lens and the Maui Jim gave virtually no blur.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Every sunglass sold at an optician should be checked. Projector is perfect, so is lensometer to detect waves or simp[ly look at a door frame and move the around. Let the drugstores sell the crap.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay, what is the projector test? This is the first time I've heard this suggested. Can someone tell me how it's done? Thanks!!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Place the plano sunglass lens flush against the projector lens with it turned on and Snellen chart 20/40 to 20/20 showing. Good lenses will darken image with letters remaining crisp, bad optics will blur image, sometimes unreadable. By the way, it's a phenomenal way to show patients what junk they are wearing over the cls you worked so hard to prescribe. Show & Tell works best, explanations just sound like a sales pitch.... Show 'em what great planos look like also. Usually they are shocked at the difference, making for an easy sale.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've found a good lead in to selling premium polarized sunwear is to ask the patient if anyone has ever explained the difference between laminate, suspension mold, and liquid infused polarized lenses. This often perks the interest of serious buyers as they often want to justify the expense of their purchase. It usually takes a few extra minutes but distinguishes the quality of the sunwear sold in plastic blister packs to lenses in most premium lines.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, cleyes, for that explanation. This is one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments. :)

It's too bad our projectors are mounted near the ceiling in our exam rooms. We use the kind that have a remote control to change the letters on the screen. I'd look pretty silly climbing all the way up there with some sunglasses, tee hee. I kind of miss the old-fashioned kind that you'd burn your hand on if you weren't careful. I'm seriously thinking of having "EVOTZ2" put on my license plate, from the old charts I used for years, years ago. It's the only Optical-related thing I can think of for my tag.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See if you can dig up an old fashioned free standing one, or wall mount, advertise, check with "older" practitioners, they're in the back room, attic, etc. Also check with instrument repair co.If they weren't broken, they're out there. Put one in the dispensary, invite pts to check their own.... SHOW & SEE & SELL. I thought of this years ago, underutilized it 'till recently, DUUUHHHH

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by cleyes View Post
    See if you can dig up an old fashioned free standing one, or wall mount, advertise, check with "older" practitioners, they're in the back room, attic, etc. Also check with instrument repair co.If they weren't broken, they're out there. Put one in the dispensary, invite pts to check their own.... SHOW & SEE & SELL. I thought of this years ago, underutilized it 'till recently, DUUUHHHH
    I was thinking this would be neat to put in the reception area with a sign explaining what to do. Can't wait to try this with a patient.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I first started my wholesale company, I sent a few of my reps out w/ a few cases of garbage RayBan knock-offs. We were selling a ton of them, until one of my reps called me and said that an OD had pulled him into the exam room and "tested: some of our lenses. **Awkward!**

Man, did WE get an education! The lenses were so nasty that we ended up giving them away, and didn't go down that road again!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information