Thread: Essilor, luxottica, and vsp form coalition).........................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Essilor, luxottica, and vsp form coalition).........................

® 2010 All Rights Reserved.
    Think About Your Eyes® is a public awareness campaign focused
    on educating consumers on the importance of vision health.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Old news, I had the 411 about a month ago (I work for a PV franchisee). Interesting bedfellows in VSP and Lux.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Oh God. Heaven forbid they educate the public about vision health! We wouldn't want our patients asking intelligent questions or taking some ownership of their ocular care! Now where did I put that rolled up newspaper and squirt bottle?? BAD Essilor! BAD! You go to time out this instant, and DON'T come out till we say you can! BAD!! :hammer::shiner::cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i got a fax about that at least 2 months ago...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Oh God. Heaven forbid they educate the public about vision health! We wouldn't want our patients asking intelligent questions or taking some ownership of their ocular care! Now where did I put that rolled up newspaper and squirt bottle?? BAD Essilor! BAD! You go to time out this instant, and DON'T come out till we say you can! BAD!! :hammer::shiner::cheers:
    Why did you get so upset that this was posted?

If you read between the lines, it indicates a very close relationship with Lux, Essilor and VSP- they don't need to buy each other when you can simply work together to get rid of what is left of our industry. The site did not contain any opticans, only Chains, MD's and OD's; DOES THAT UPSET YOU?

I now get all my lenses from recent Essilor purchases and am not listed on that site or the Transitions site; we do over 40% Transitions and the qualification per office is only 15%.

Craig-
    Still an independent optician and thankful for the update by Chris.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, I dont think Essilor, VSP, or Luxotttica even know I exist let alone care.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ooops, I'm wrong they do know I exist. I'm listed and a provider.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Why did you get so upset that this was posted?

If you read between the lines, it indicates a very close relationship with Lux, Essilor and VSP- they don't need to buy each other when you can simply work together to get rid of what is left of our industry. The site did not contain any opticans, only Chains, MD's and OD's; DOES THAT UPSET YOU?

I now get all my lenses from recent Essilor purchases and am not listed on that site or the Transitions site; we do over 40% Transitions and the qualification per office is only 15%.

Craig-
    Still an independent optician and thankful for the update by Chris.
    Upset? Hardly. :) Just making light of the rampant anti anything Essilor (or Lux, or VSP or whomever the flavor of the week might be) sentiments on the ol boards here. I really don't care WHO you are, or what your scope of practice may or may not be. This should be a good thing for the PATIENT. Good job to the horrible BIG THREE for taking the time, and resources to promote eye health awareness to the public! :p:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused I don't see any anti anything posted? Just some info to be viewed!

Upset? Hardly. :) Just making light of the rampant anti anything Essilor (or Lux, or VSP or whomever the flavor of the week might be) sentiments on the ol boards here. I really don't care WHO you are, or what your scope of practice may or may not be. This should be a good thing for the PATIENT. Good job to the horrible BIG THREE for taking the time, and resources to promote eye health awareness to the public! :p:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Who said this is anything but a good resource? You may need to up your dosage of happy pills if you see this as an anti Big 3; it looks like some nice information on what is new in the optical world.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Suuuuure it is. ;) :shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Can you back your comments up with facts?

Suuuuure it is. ;) :shiner:
    What part of what was posted do you find any issue with?

Essilor, luxottica, and vsp form coalition).........................

http://thinkaboutyoureyes.com/

® 2010 All Rights Reserved.

Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh good God. Go drink a beer or twelve my friend! :cheers: It's no secret the malice this board harbors for anything Essilor related. VSP and Lux are very close hardly second to the "horrid Big E". Enjoy your weekend! :hammer:

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Malice? Allow me to list the publicly-traded companies (that would be those who have thousands of shareholders, represented by a board of directors mostly hand-picked by the incumbent ceo) who put the health and welfare of the consuming public at the top of their mission statement...and really mean it. On second thought, I may need a little time to work on that list.....

Occupation

Blue Jumper Deaming in color......................

Quote Originally Posted by bob66hall View Post

...................................represented by a board of directors mostly hand-picked by the incumbent ceo) who put the health and welfare of the consuming public at the top of their mission statement...and really mean it.
    This is a dream in color..................in this century of turmoil and accelerated corporate mergers of all sorts, which governments do not even oppose, and they will eventually be able to influence governments to their own desires.

A corporation mission statement that puts, mentioned in quote, consumer health and welfare at the top of their statements does not mean it. The only thing that counts with shareholders is an increase in value and nothing else.

The corporate Python of the optical business might not be ready to put on the full deadly pressure as yet, but when following the news that pop up every week or two these days, it will be in the very near future.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    guys guys guys... as long as the government doesnt get involved, be happy that things happen in whatever way they are going. It is a byproduct of what is needed, if in the future it means that opticians will no longer have a job, then it would be mad to sit in a negative position and whine about it, the proactive mind would look ahead and see where he may be employed in the new system.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Ooops, I'm wrong they do know I exist. I'm listed and a provider.
    Me too...as well as 5 of my ODs that don't even have dispensaries! Really accurate...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Me too...as well as 5 of my ODs that don't even have dispensaries! Really accurate...
    I like that its a 'doctor' locator and I dont have a doctor. Oh well, free advertising.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Delta merges with Northwest, to become #1. Now United and Continental will marry, and they'll be #1. Some scoff at the competitive posture of L, V/M, and E...but imagine the next step, when any two of them merge. Anybody think the FTC will rescue the little guy? Doubtful.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Airlines and Essilor..........................

Quote Originally Posted by bob66hall View Post

Delta merges with Northwest, to become #1. Now United and Continental will marry, and they'll be #1. Some scoff at the competitive posture of L, V/M, and E...but imagine the next step, when any two of them merge. Anybody think the FTC will rescue the little guy? Doubtful.
    Obviously these airlines are suffering financially and merge to survive. Essilor shows good profits in their statements, and even buys back their own shares.
    They purchase and merge for other reasons than the airllines. Besides that they probably have made purchases at rock bottom prices during this recession.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't normally say much when people start are talking about the big three; but this time I feel the need to. I love this sight, our business has increased significantly since this site went up, AND people come in with questions and more able to make decisions. I don't feel like I am having to "sell" them what they need, because they have a better understanding of the product already. They are actually choosing to come to my small, 1 year old practice.

Also, remember 2 of these three have community and worldwide charity organizations that help people in disadvantage areas receive the eye care they can't afford. I do not see many private practices offering or partnering with social service networks to do this, at least not here in KC. My trip to El Salvador was one of the most amazing things I have ever done.

So, yes, we don't want them to take over the world (the red and blue dragons as I like to call them); and I am not a big fan of huge corp (like walmart...) but I think we should look at in a positive way (with a grain of salt.)

Just my two cents.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Obviously these airlines are suffering financially and merge to survive. Essilor shows good profits in their statements, and even buys back their own shares.
    They purchase and merge for other reasons than the airllines. Besides that they probably have made purchases at rock bottom prices during this recession.
    Primary reason to merge is to better control pricing and margins to the combined corporation, and to expand faster than organic growth allows. All other aspects feed into that grand goal....period. Take any example, like LUX paying $2.2 billion for Oakely's mere $700 million in revenues. I'll stick with my "beware feeding the dragon" advice.....bh

Thread Information