Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6465152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1580

Thread: Old Tunes on Youtube

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    That white SG looks vaguely familiar…Tasty licks there my friend!
    Yeah, that's the one. My wife's nephew said he always wanted a vintage SG, and will give me one of his kidneys for it.

Tasty? You speak my lingo. My solos are usually heavily improvised so that really makes me feel good. Next one's on me.

Someone liked an earlier ELO, so I found another- enjoy.

ELO - Showdown 1974

The earliest, if not the first use of Barcus Berry instrument pick-ups for amplified cellos/violas in a rock band.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doors - In The Eye Of The Sun 1972

Pure Mind.

Manzarek had plenty of practice singing Morrison's parts in concert when he was too drunk to go on.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Badfinger - Sweet Tuesday Morning 1972

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Badfinger - Sweet Tuesday Morning 1972

Great band with a tragic history. Two members committed suicide.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

After brush hogging the pasture all day, I’m ready for some doobie…

Note the PRS Tom Johnston plays now…

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze 03-02-1967

Recorded by the Beat Club at the Marquee Cub in London shortly after it was recorded in the studio, and then released as a single in the UK a couple weeks after this performance. Either a mike or mixing failure reduced the volume of the bass.

Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 10-10-2021 at 10:47 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Boxer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    John Lennon - Mother 1972

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete Seeger - Way Out There 1963

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mark Peterson - Fugue in F minor "The Munster"

Student Loan String Band - Munsters Theme Song

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Old is gold. I like old music very much. They give me some really goosebumps while listen to them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan1989 View Post
    Old is gold. I like old music very much. They give me some really goosebumps while listen to them.
    It's not that they're old- there was just so much happening in the mid-twentieth century music-wise, so much to explore, similar to what happened with classical music from the late 18th to 19th century.

Pretty slim era after the mid 70's, although streaming and recording to vinyl only is starting to provide at least some income for a musician, especially with live performances a dying art form.

Hair - Let the Sun Shine In 1969

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan1989 View Post
    As one of those "OLD" musicians, we much prefer timeless! I am so pleased to again be recording and playing very regularly, despite recent health concerns! If anyone is in Myrtle Beach this coming week, we'll be there all week at the Carolina Beach Music Awards, with the big show next Sunday Nov. 14th! Come see us a great show with any special guests. I can't share them all because it will be a surprise, but in the past my buddy Gene Chandler (Yes, the Duke of Earl himself), The great Eddie Floyd (Knock on Wood and many other national hits) and others have been with us! Our new CD will be out in time for the summer, probably around March, recorded at the world famous Studio East in Charlotte. Formerly the Arthur Smith studios. Arthur wrote Dueling Banjos, and recorded it in that studio long ago. I was in the house when the great James Brown recorded Papas Got a Brand New Bag! I have always been honored to be in the Studio East stable of artists, but unfortunately this will be our last CD together. We will go directly to the studio after the awards show. Our producer is retiring and selling the property, and he wanted our project to be his last along with one other group, our wonderful friends the Impressions (Rock ad Roll Hall of Fame!) who will be in as well! They moved from Chicago many years ago, now living in Chattanooga, Tennessee). The main drag is now called Impressions Blvd. The original guys (Fred and Sam for those who want to look them up) are mid-80s but can still really sing, and they have a lead vocalist who is not Curtiss Mayfield who left us some time back unfortunately, but he is fantastic. Being in their mid-80s, this is their final project as well, and they are coming because we all wanted to be there with our trusted producer, the great Tim Eaton for the last work he will produce commercially. There develops a special relationship between artists and producers, and such trust is only established after many years. I will miss my brother Tim, and really appreciate all his support over the 55 years I've been out here in this music world, and so many others feel the same So here come the Impressions! Always an honor when I get to sing with that kind of history! If anyone is interested, I will post a link or two when the new music is ready. A couple of originals will be on this CD as usual, but much will be new takes on some great music from the past. My wonderful singing partner, the great Terri Gore simply kills the old Etta James song, At Last! Now, we play what is referred to in the South as Carolina Beach Music. (And no, it has nothing to do with the surf material done by our friends the Beach Boys, which is great stuff, but a bit different than ours). Beach music over here is will remind you of the soul and R&B from the 60s, some of the beautiful music from Motown and Invictus records. I've had the distinct pleasure of working on stage with many of those artists like the Temptations, the 4 Tops, Mary Wells, and others from Motown, and the initial artists for Invictus, originally from Detroit but long ago moved to the Charlotte area, the Chairmen of the Board with all their great hits.

I have rarely mentioned my music life in the optical arena, but now that I have retired from teaching, I had a goal to get out and do it one more time, so we are! I am blessed to be able. Since we have returned, we formed a group that can do small events, and a few years back played in Nashville for the OAA Leadership Conference. During that show, I brought a great friend. I spent many nights with his group the Drifters (Yes, that Drifters!) on the road, and they are still one of my favorite of all time! SO I brought the great George Wallace, a 60-year member of the Drifters headquartered in Atlanta) to do that show with us. As goes many of the old groups, especially the soul groups that motivated me and other like me, they did not last, and had many changes. Some who left but who had standing with the group were authorized to continue to perform which became quite confusing. But this group from Atlanta, spent much of their time the Carolinas, and I became the music director and they used my wonderful band complete with 4-piece horn section, and as young men we were thrilled to be on stage with former members of the Original Drifters! Most of my Drifters are now passed, but I still remain close with George and 2 others who do remain. They have stopped performing, but are forever etched in mine and many hearts throughout the South! We had a ball performing for all the Opticians across the country! We have performed at other meetings across the country for corporate folks, and as we begin to solidly our 2022 calendar (developing a new website now). I'll post it. We have been asked to go back to NYC for a large meeting, going to Birmingham, Al next summer, and hope to be putting together an oldies cruise with many artists. More to follow! Come join us!

I wanted to add some music files, but could not get the to attach. Here is some photos! I will be happy to send some our our music to those with an interest!
    Have a great weekend!CS PROMO!.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 11-07-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    As one of those "OLD" musicians, we much prefer timeless! I am so pleased to again be recording and playing very regularly, despite recent health concerns! If anyone is in Myrtle Beach this coming week, we'll be there all week at the Carolina Beach Music Awards, with the big show next Sunday Nov. 14th! Come see us a great show with any special guests. I can't share them all because it will be a surprise, but in the past my buddy Gene Chandler (Yes, the Duke of Earl himself), The great Eddie Floyd (Knock on Wood and many other national hits) and others have been with us! Our new CD will be out in time for the summer, probably around March, recorded at the world famous Studio East in Charlotte. Formerly the Arthur Smith studios. Arthur wrote Dueling Banjos, and recorded it in that studio long ago. I was in the house when the great James Brown recorded Papas Got a Brand New Bag!....
    That's a really wonderful story and history you've got there. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, 'Papa's Got A Brand New Bag' is #34 on the Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time - and you were there when it happened. How awesome is that!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren, I wish I could make it to Myrtle! If any of you out there haven’t heard Warren perform it will be worth the travel! He has a fantastic voice! Break a leg Warren!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    ……

Pretty slim era after the mid 70's, although streaming and recording to vinyl only is starting to provide at least some income for a musician, especially with live performances a dying art form.

]
    I also hang out at Guitarforum, many performing guitarist there. Most all lament the lack of venues to play now a days. Many have closed due to the pandemic. Many bars that are open have figured out they don’t need live music to bring in a crowd. When they do find a gig they are expected to play for tips. It’s a very sad time for live music..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, Brother! We'll find another place one day! So many players are having to play for what they can get. It is a shame. We play maybe 50 times a year, and will double that in 2022 if all continues to open as it has down here. We play for a set fee. We are well enough known in our market we have not had to do that. Now, I do some gigs for charity. Kaye had breast cancer, and there is a local group that we are doing a fundraiser for March 27 here in Fayetteville area. Us, Chairmen of the Board, and The Embers. It will be a fantastic show. The Chairmen and Embers are big working bands with road crews, etc. Both gave me a good price, and I am donating my group for the charity. I do get a tax write off, but it is important to Kaye and I!
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 11-07-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    That's a really wonderful story and history you've got there. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, 'Papa's Got A Brand New Bag' is #34 on the Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time - and you were there when it happened. How awesome is that!
    Sea Breeze Band.jpg
    Thanks, Steve. I am posing here another photo of my old band. You will note a black Sax player in that photo. His name is Maceo Parker. All JB fans know who Maceo is! He often calls for him in his records to blow his horn. He is considered by most to be among the very best sax players in the world. Tours regularly with his own and now, with lots of time in Europe. He played on that and most of JBs biggest hits. During my time teaching refraction in NYC I was commuting up every week, and back to play on weekends. We lost a key member who left to return to the road full time, and were down a short while, but during that down time we helped Maceo put together his group (his guitar is from my hometown of Fayetteville, NC and he has remained with him now for many years.) Our groups helped start his recordings off, and did his first CD called Roots Revisited. Check his site out. A quick Google for Maceo Parker will blow your mind at what he has accomplished. He was close to Prince (he loved Maceo and the JB Horns! and JB was his mentor), and toured with him from time-to-time. But you can see the story easily!

Steve, I love music, and it is now more of what I do than anything else. I really wanted to go into it out of high school, and was going to get a degree in music, but I had played with some folks who I thought were really big and successful people. When I got to know them, so could not even write their name! Most, not all, but most......had issues with alcohol and or drugs, and married and divorced with multiple children before 35. Some made an effort to support, but most neve even saw their kids! I would up going to Opticianry School, and loved it. I still love Opticianry, although it has not gone in the direction I had hoped it would, but it is filled with some of the finest people I know, and I am proud to have been associated with them all. I know I made some uncomfortable, and a times probably even mad pushing my education agenda, but I still feel I did what I thought was best and would not change it if I could start again, in fact I would fight a bit harder! I completed grad school multiple times and went into higher ed. I retired as a tenured full professor from a lovely institution where I taught for nearly 20 years! It was time! I still teach a couple of grad courses for SIU-Carbondale and do some consulting, but my emphasis is on recording and performing! I did not follow that dream out of high school, but before I get out of here, I wanted to do it one more time! My recent hospitalization even made it more important! Who knows, I may be in a town near you one day! Love to see you out. And if you get anywhere near the Myrtle Beach area, Kaye (also retired after many years as an RN) and I bought a beautiful place with lots of room. Bob Russo and his much better half, Jeanette, just flow down and spent a few days with us. We've visited them in Staten Island, and in their new hone in Connecticut. He's taught me to talk like him....and while down here amongst us Southern folk, he learned to speak a bit like me. Ronnie and Connie Harbert also joined us from Charleston, so with Ronnie and I both working, Bob can now say y'all with the best of us! You know many of my closet friends are in this wonderful profession we call Opticianry. Bob and I have lectured all over the county together now for many years. I am honored to call he and Jeanette friends. They mean so much to me, as do many here. I hope somewhere along the way, even if you were one who disagreed with me, you realize I did my very best to make a positive impact on the field. I am not lecturing any longer, because I think the field needs new people. I am so proud of so many of the young folks (Yes Pete, I mean you!) here who now are out speaking and making a difference. To all of you , old and new, I want you to know you have meant a great deal to me, and even if we disagreed I learned from each of you! I have appreciated you more than words can ever express. When I was ill, and spent months in-patient (early March- early June) the number of calls I got from my optical colleagues meant the world to me!

Well, I got off the music thing, but just had to a bit. If anyone wants to hear some of our recordings, email me (WGMPhD@aol.com) and I will shoot some tracks out to you.

Have a great night all!

Warren

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diana Ross - Ninety-Nine and a Half 1987

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    America - Moon Song 1975

Get Back documentary starts thanksgiving day on Disney+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw71ucAUi2U

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Traffic - Roamin' Thru' the Gloamin' with 40,000 Headmen 1973

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fanny - Hey Bulldog 1971

One of my favorite and fun J. Lennon tunes, covered here with a hard-driving guitar break by June Millington.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Mr. Bojangles 1977

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bojangles_(song)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Even at the end, during bitter times, the Liverpool Lads were able to have fun in the studio/rehearsal. Here’s an early version of “She came in Through the Bathroom Window”. Pretty funny exchange at around 1:45 when Paul sings “And so I quit the police department “. ( And got a proper job”.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    ...the Liverpool Lads were able to have fun in the studio/rehearsal.
    It was incredibly fascinating to see them write "Get Back" in less than a week, as if I was in the same room with them as it happened.

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic 1972

I have this album but until I saw it performed live I would never have guessed that some of the tintinnabulation (bell-like sounds) at the beginning were coming from the bass player working the 5th and 7th fret harmonics.

Better resolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhudDa3JAyc

Thread Information