Thread: AR Removal Help

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

AR Removal Help

I have a pair of glasses in my lab that the patient wanted the AR coating stripped off and then turned into sun wear. I have soaked the lenses in Strip-It and AR Remover. The center of the lens looks clear now but there is a strip of AR left across the top on one lens and a spot on the bottom of the other lens. Does any one have any thoughts as to how I can get the last little bit of AR off of these lenses so I can dye them uniformly? These are not polycarbonate or glass lenses. They are PAL plastic. Thanks for any ideas.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper stripping of AR coated CR39......................

Quote Originally Posted by mlanders View Post
    Does any one have any thoughts as to how I can get the last little bit of AR off of these lenses so I can dye them uniformly? These are not polycarbonate or glass lenses. They are PAL plastic. Thanks for any ideas.
    In my book the stripping of AR coated CR39 is the easiest thing to do. It should not take more than 5 to 10 seconds or you start stripping the hard coat underneath which takes longer.

So I really don't know the product you been using but would suggest that you use a something that works in seconds.

Check it out on my 2 websites listed below the signature. The both deal with AR stripping.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper stripping of AR coated CR39......................

deleted = double post

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is really a backwoods solution, but works if you don't want to spend gobs of money. I've (in the past) used Whink Rust Remover. It works wonders. Generally, though, I've only been inclined to use it on CR-39. This was always my go-to in rough situations. Now, I would probably not suggest this professionally, as I'm sure there are other products that are safer and tested on lens materials, but I've found that a lot of things that are "meant" for these particular jobs just don't get it done well enough.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well in the end I got most of the AR off so the man doesn't have a broken down coating that annoys him. Turns out they were trivex material so not all of the AR would come off so I could tint them. They had blobs of dark and light spots. I dunked them in neutralizer , made them clear, and notified him that they couldn't be tinted but I did get the broken down part of the AR off so he had a great pair of back up glasses at least. It almost got the AR off. I let it soak for two days. Just left some around the edge.

Thread Information