Thread: Has anyone tried the new Apple iPad? and what do you think?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Has anyone tried the new Apple iPad? and what do you think?

A little bird stopped by and told me someone from Optiboard may have recently picked up a new iPad....I was just wondering how good this product really is.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I haven't seen it yet. Though I do have an iphone and got my first Mac last week.

I think it is a neat idea. I believe that this concept is a much better solution to the Net Book idea.

Occupation
    I will get one eventually. Even if it's nothing more than an oversized iPod Touch, it'll be worth it to me. However I believe it will revolutionize the way we read books, newspapers and periodicals.

For instance, why should a student have to caryy around tons of books, when they can all be available in an iPad, which interactive features (including the ability to do homework and tests with them) and have information updated on almost a real-time basis.

The potential is amazing, although I hope Apple gets a lot of strong competition so it forces them to be more open with the architecture and OS. A Google Andriod tablet could provide that competition.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    We have two of our sister 14 offices trying to go paperless with tablets. Personally, I do not think it will work. I use very little paper. I email everything, when I mark I do it electronically, I do all my work on the computer. But when you need to look at several sheets of paper at once, it is a pain to do it with a computer. I have two monitors at my desk and still sometimes need to print something

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry
    I picked one up....so far so good. But if you would be so kind as to give me a week or so to put it through its paces, ill be more than happy to give you a full rundown. It shouldnt be much of a differance from my iphone...but ya never know.Im going to do the app bit and try a book or two and then i will let you know.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A little peek for

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iPad.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A Little Peek For Harry.

Just to get Mr Mac in the mood to go pick one up. I'll get to a review as time permits.
    Take care big guy!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iPad.jpg  

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I'm replying from an iPad. Love it right now but I just got it. My first Apple product!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    I will buy one of these in the future, because one friend of mine has it and he is very pleased with it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Well i still like iphone compared to Apple ipad...simply because Apple ipad does not support multitasking. The design is superb, very stylish. Its all about screen but other than that is no good. That's only my opinion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I like it.

My fiance has one for his office; he has his own advertising agency so he uses it to present creative when he is at a meeting or out networking. I like to steal it on weekends so I can surf the net on the couch while he watches basketball. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't support Flash which many websites use.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Ellen8Russell
    If they threw in Flash and multitasking, I'd be good to go. Don't need USB, camera, or physical keyboard.....

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Does anyone have any idea what applications are available for I pad in Optometry and eye related topics....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I love the Ipad 2. Luckily there are starting to be a lot of new apps for Optometry and Ophthalmology related things. I still can't justify doing EMR on it though.

Bad address email on file lensman78's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    The potential is amazing, although I hope Apple gets a lot of strong competition so it forces them to be more open with the architecture and OS. A Google Andriod tablet could provide that competition.
    The android tablet may be closer than you think:
    http://www.chinavasion.com/large-cap...pmps/pc063gen/

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A friend sent me this link today.....

"Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Too bad Apple decided to cripple a good product just because they didn't invent Flash. Now see if Apple buys Macromedia. If they do, then their next gen will be Flash enabled.

Oops, sorry -forgot Adobe already bought Macromedia, so Apple's out.
    Last edited by DragonLensmanWV; 06-27-2011 at 08:10 AM.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Apple has sold 21 times more than Honeycomb,so it looks like people are getting by just fine without Flash. http://daringfireball.net/2011/07/ipad_dominance

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I love the new iPad 2. It is the one of the greatest things that's happened to me. Will be rolling these out in offices as well soon enough.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I didn't think I'd ever get one, my thinking being that I already have a laptop and iPhone, and I can do pretty much everything one do on these. However, I was in the Apple store the other day and I tried one of the new iPads out. The first thing I noticed was that it is a good size, and also very light, so it is handy if you are travelling. Certainly better than a big heavy laptop.

And the next thing I noticed was that you can make very good use of the apps. Personally, I would make use of the music and book apps, but there are plenty to choose from if you have other interests.

I still haven't bought one, because really I don't need one, and it would be a luxury. But i do like travelling and Christmas is coming so you never know!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Well, I didn't think an iPad would be a substitue for a laptop. And quite frankly it isn't. But it does add a lot.
    The iPad is capable of all the small tasks one can imagine, checking mail, youtube, wikipedia, checking optiboard ^_~

I've got mine four weeks ago and never regretted the purchase. My main motive was school. I'm studying for optometrist and a lot of the materials (almost everything) are presented in digital formats. I have a netbook with an average battery life of three hours, but it's heavy(ish) and I have to carry a charger. Here the iPad shows it's true potential, click a button and it's on. Instand acces to all the files, it's compact, light, has an amazing batterylife (10h+) (and looks nice too ^_^)

I scan any books I get from school, which saves me weight. The touch screen makes pdf's very accesible. Though I have one teacher who got ****** because I scanned his book >_< Said it was copyright infrignment (he writes his own books). I do have to original however, and paid for it. And since it's only for personal use... tough luck for him. I guess he's afraid it'll show up for download soon, but it won't.

Beside serious business the iPad is also very nice for fun and cool stuff! For instance, I use the iPad as a remote for my Logitech Squeezebox, that's one big remote! There are amazing drawing programs available, Procreate to name one. I don't buy an tv guide anymore, there's also an app for that. I canceled my newspaper subscription, there are a couple of free newspapres available that are just as good. I made a quick calculation, if you cancel your newspaper subscription you save an iPad in two years! -haha

But all the cool features of the iPad do come at a hefty price, that's for sure. I've got the 64GB Wifi iPad 2 and it set me back €679,- But I was concidering a new netbook, and since the specifications haven't changed that much since I got it it would have been a waste. So the money was better spend on an iPad.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been waiting for the new iPad and I ordered mine last week. It's due to show up on March 22d. I'm excited!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've got the iPad 2 and I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I thought that silly onscreen keyboard would never cut it but boy was I wrong. I can type faster on it than on any mechanical keyboard. Battery life is great. Screen comes on instantly, no waiting for boot up.

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    I have keen of this but as you know the recourse are not enough, and some time i tried but failed.

Well now I am desperate to make my own iPad soon and for this regard me have to need of all the above participants...

customized coozies cheap koozies
    Last edited by hare; 05-12-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Thread Information