Thread: Where can I find this???

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Where can I find this???

I don't know the exact term of what this is called but I am sure you guys will know what I am talking about. Anyway what I am looking for is a replacement pad for the thing that is mounted to the edge of the counter that we use to drive screws in. Does anyone know where we can get that? Ours is just bare metal and we just need the rubber like cushion thing that goes over it. Any clues?? We looked through the Hilco mag and didn't see anything close. We were hoping that we didn't need to replace the entire thing as there is nothing wrong with it otherwise. Besides we are moving to a new building soon and didn't want to invest too much money in the replacement of the entire thing. Let me know.

Thanks!

Steph

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stephanie

Hilco, Frannel, or Micro Mark Tools. I think it's called a bench pad. At least I have seen it in several optical and hobby catalogues. Your optical wholesaler or lab may have some also.

Will send you the proper nomenclature when I get to the office and find one in a catalogue.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steph:

Western Optical has replacement pads for $2.25; however, to replace the whole block would cost a whopping $6.75. Not too bad huh?
    • #2100..RUBBER GUARD BENCH BLOCK..$6.75
    • #2100Rubber..Rubber Replacement Pad..$2.25

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks guys! As ususal you have come through. I will let them know at work Monday.

Steph

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If this is what your looking for ......

I guess you could say "of course a canadian idea" the different places I have worked we always glued or screwed a "hockey puck" to the counter

oh well thats just my two cents; puck is probably more expensive than what hilco or such carry

good luck

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it realy more expensive?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My son's Idea ....

for several years I have used prefab kitchen counter top as work surfaces in the finishing lab. Most of these have rounded edges so I would glue a 2 foot piece of square-edged, 3/4" x 3/4" galvenized angle iron or Aluminum angle to the rounded edge in order to have this same falt surface to rest frames on for various kinds of work.

My son say, dad let's take some of the used leap-pad and stick them on the corner of the angle iron to protect the frames. Have been using them to this day. If they get worn, thrown them away and replace them. If you need more cushion put on an extra layer or two. The hidden benifit is that you tend to have much less accidental slippage than with the rubber block. In a busy office where there might be two busy dispensers, they can use the "block" at the same time.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    J.J.

You'd be supprised how many of us boys from the South have never seen a hockey puck (except on television) and have no clue what they are made of and what the texture is.

Chip

P.S.

I've never see a snow plow, snow shovel, or snow mobile either.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

skip

The original hockey puck . . . .
    Have a seat. This is gonna be a shocker.
    The original hockey puck was made of a substance that came from a source that made the following noice:

Moooooooo

or

Nayyyyyyy

I forget which. Does it really matter?
    Texture? Let's not go there!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well dont have a puck here to measure but its about the size of a 70 - 75mm blank, 1 inch thick made of vulcomized rubber top and bottom are smooth, edge has a fine texture pattern (for grip), Since i have never bought a puck i had to ask my husband he says they are between 1 to 5 canadian dollars so convert that to US and we have a pretty "cheap" tool. Until you stab it a few million times witht he screw driver it will last a very long time. some find the circle is to big so they cut it in half to have a curved edge and a straight edge (half moon).

snow mobile...... like a jet ski on snow can be alot of fun but you need to dress warm, now adays they are so extravigant (thats the word) they have hand warmers and protectors on the steering wheel, feet warmers where you feet rest, helmets like motorcycle helmets have microphones and head sets. the days 25 years ago when i was a kid doing it the machines werent that nice. they can be a lot of fun

chat later

Thread Information