Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone see the Lenscrafters online ads?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Anyone see the Lenscrafters online ads?

Offering free adjustments, no questions asked...they don't care where you got your glasses...

Does lens crafters offer free PD measurements and seg heights?

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    haven't seen it. can you provide a link?
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They're on TV here...

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes. I saw this commercial ad. once in a morning when I was watching CTV morning news on TV. It is a nice and generous offer for customers. I doubt they still keep this offer if they find that there are more and more customers purchase glasses online and go their stores to do free adjustments.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    why the heck would lc do that? That seems really stupid.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See it? We have a big sign advertising it right outside our store. I do work for LC and here is the funny thing. Our Adjustments have ALWAYS been free either purchased from us or not. Corporate used to make us charge for nose pads and new screws, but I think they realized they could use it as a promotional tool to advertise. And they took something they never charged for, adjustments, and made it into this big deal of now being "Free". As much as I Loath LC, they have an envious marketing team.

As far as PD and seg, the only time I take it for people who are not getting glasses from us is Marines/Armed Forces who are from out of state and the Dr requests us to take the measurements for them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It's a way to get people (at the least) in the door. We do free adjustments independent of where the specs. were purchased. We do charge for screws/nosepads/temple covers for folks who did not purchase their specs. from us.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's simplistic marketing. What we take as a given the consumer takes as something else. I get patients bringing in the manufacturer coupons for "free" trial contacts with their eye exam. I say "I'll take the coupon but the trial lenses always come with your exam here". Notice I say "here". It's all about perception.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Totally agree. Its simplistic but it works. Consumers are conditioned towards the word free. Especially if its in big bold letters! LOL

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm looking forward to seeing my dispensed eyewear coming back in to redo their convenient "free adjustment" so they can see again....BTDT.

OPPORTUNITY and a pain in the ***.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper This is a fact you have to deal with.

What is being discussed here is such an old hat.....................adjsuting of glasses for free has been practised in every country around the world forever.

However there are opticians that are good adjusters and there others that are plain awful and will never learn the art.

This discussion should more concentrate on what to do in the very near furture when more and more online consumers are seeking help from the professional to deal with the problems that the online opticals can not provide.

There is and still are the measurements and the following adjustments needed for a successful online purchase.
    There are about 20 to 25 thousand pairs of glasses sold per day in the USA by the online opticals at this stage, and that is close to 150,000 per week.

Many of these consumers will and a going to opticians for adjustments..................so how are you coping with them?
    Opticians have always included future services in their selling prices, however the online opticals are purely selling a unfitted end product, which in the optical language is a unfinished product.

The discussion should be more geared towards selling the finishing service towards the online consumers because they are not going away soon. This is a fact you have to deal with.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Use repairs to make it a win/win proposition for charity.

We have always supported local charities and we ask all repairs to make a minimum donation of $10. If you come ine with a pair that does not work and you want the reason explained to you, it is $25 to the charity box. We raise over $10,000/ year and most of the money come from our clients who put in more than anybody.
    It works for us and we do get about 10-15 people per year who tell me they can somewhere else to get their filthy glasses cleaned, adjusted and nose pads replaced; we tell them that would be a great idea. It is always good for a laugh if they complain that my services, parts and overhead are not worth anything.;)
    Craig

Occupation
    The fact LC has lost major market share over the years combined with an overpriced reputation has led to desparity. Its a simple 'caring' looking campaign that may appeal and cater to those consumers that could never afford to shop there previously. Desperate and deceiving.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    why the heck would lc do that? That seems really stupid.
    Yup! Getting people to come into your retail store is moronic!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    It's a way to get people (at the least) in the door. We do free adjustments independent of where the specs. were purchased. We do charge for screws/nosepads/temple covers for folks who did not purchase their specs. from us.
    If the only way you can think of getting people "in the door" is with "FREE"....fire your promo/advt. dept. They are NOT doing their job!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It has been good in our store. Customer like to be get great service. Go figure. We have an opportunity to educate customers about the importance of an annual exam examination and the services that we offer.
    Last edited by seecentfl; 04-18-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    If the only way you can think of getting people "in the door" is with "FREE"....fire your promo/advt. dept. They are NOT doing their job!
    Oh but they are doing their job. Do not underestimate the consumer's Pavlovian response to that word.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron N View Post
    Silly me. I thought one-hour service was the reason people went to Lenscrafters.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron N View Post
    Funny,..... and I thought I worked in an optical dispensary. I try to FIT eyewear, not SELL it, although some clients do mistake advice as selling.
    What kind of long term, loyal people do you attract with FREE?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Essentially LC is taking something I think most independents already do for free and advertising it like it is something new and unique.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    Funny,..... and I thought I worked in an optical dispensary. I try to FIT eyewear, not SELL it, although some clients do mistake advice as selling.

Call it what you want.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's a promotional strategy that will last about six months, and then it will fall off the face of the earth.

Like all marketing strategies.

NEXT!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL Very true. Though I remember when we used to just advertise 1-Hour service and have maybe 2-3 "sales" per year. Now we have Back to Back to Back to Back (Is this repetitive enough) Sales. One "Sale" ends, and the new one begins the very next day. LC used to not be so Gimmicky in their sales and advertisements but it seems to be the direction they are headed in.

Though the "FREE Adjustments!" seems like they are stretching a bit as far as advertising I am sure Corporate will move on to something else to promote later in the year in an effort to re-brand themselves since they moved away from being the place of 1-Hour service.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Its the same concept that works for the Big E, repackage the product an sell it as a new concept.
    How many NEW types of toothpaste or mouthwash gets brought out every month??
    Same thing.......people get bored with the old NEW and want a new NEW (WHAT??)
    I better lie down and try that new faster absorbing pain killer...my head hurts:hammer:

Next you will see them offering Free (thats right folks...) Free measurements of the distance between your eyes or DBYE (PD is so yesterday!):D
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can anyone say "desperate attempts to save a sinking ship"

Thread Information