Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Exams- how does this work?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Free Exams- how does this work?

Our doc is considering free exams for students this summer. In the past we have only done free screenings during the month of August. This time she wants to do it all Summer long and make it a real exam. Our concerns are....can you make it contingent on a purchase? I think not since they may not even have an Rx. What if they want to take the Rx to say..Costco? I say there won't be many who are that uncouth. She say's there will be plenty. Have any of you done this? What "rules" did you have in place? Did it bring in enough business to be worth it?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I am in Panama Central America. This is a small country where we, Optometrist examine and run the store, I do not know of any independent Optometrist, Social Security hospitals also have Optometirst to do the exam but the goverment does not provide the glasses. Maybe 20 years ago we did charge for the exam but there was this chain of stores that started doing exams for free and finally we all had to do it too. I am not happy with this but you have to survive.
    Since we do not charge for th exam, we do not give the prescription to the customer unless he has made at least a pair of glasses with this prescription. Also they do not have to buy glasses with us even they need them. In case of students if they come to know if they need glasses, but has no complain about how they see, we do not have to do a complete exam (exact prescription) if we considere they do not need glasses. Finally, since our income is from selling glasses, contact lenses, etc, we has increased the prices on our price list to be able to pay the Optometrist and all the expenses that comes with the exam.
    So if your optometrist has plenty of free time instead of paying here for waiting for some comes in, do not do a free full exam to everyone that comes in. Evaluate each case and if you thing the customer might need glasses, the do the complete exam. Do not give the prescription (numbers) to the customer just a diagnostic and a recomendations.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Free exams! $9.95 glasses! Sounds good to me.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    most unprofessional thing an OD can do is free exams. If you need to deal, better to offer free glasses. Never undervalue your services. Eye examination is why you went to school. If your exams are worth nothing, so are you.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Our doc is considering free exams for students this summer. In the past we have only done free screenings during the month of August. This time she wants to do it all Summer long and make it a real exam. Our concerns are....can you make it contingent on a purchase? I think not since they may not even have an Rx. What if they want to take the Rx to say..Costco? I say there won't be many who are that uncouth. She say's there will be plenty. Have any of you done this? What "rules" did you have in place? Did it bring in enough business to be worth it?
    I've done it, but only as a quick type, grand opening promotion...just to put us on the map, create a little (a lot actually) buzz, and let folks know we're here. We had NO expectations of selling anything, and we sold much more than I would have guessed we would.

I would definitely NOT do this more than a short time, and YES...you will attract the Costco shoppers, and those looking to support some of the bottom feeding optiboarders selling online. Free attracts cheap.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    most unprofessional thing an OD can do is free exams. If you need to deal, better to offer free glasses. Never undervalue your services. Eye examination is why you went to school. If your exams are worth nothing, so are you.

I completely agree with you. Excellent post...

So do you then do free follow-ups for amblyopes? Free vision therapy? Free contact lens fits?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I managed a corporate optical store in Manhattan for several years, and with all the competition, bargaining was commonplace. I agree with "Landlord" that discounting professional fees is a bad idea because it discredits the exam and the practioner. Instead, I would discount the glasses purchase so it was a 'wash' so everyone was happy in the end, and yet the credibility and dignity was left in place. I know that whenever I see a 'free' anything I automatically assume that it's poor quality, and we should remember that when wanting to offer free exams.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That has always been my inclination as well. I am not the owner however they do sometimes listen to me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I've done it, but only as a quick type, grand opening promotion...just to put us on the map, create a little (a lot actually) buzz, and let folks know we're here. We had NO expectations of selling anything, and we sold much more than I would have guessed we would.

I would definitely NOT do this more than a short time, and YES...you will attract the Costco shoppers, and those looking to support some of the bottom feeding optiboarders selling online. Free attracts cheap.

Exactly what we are trying to do, a sort of Grand Opening promotion since we have changed names and are out from under an old franchise name that we had hanging around here for too long. What we need is a quick shot in the arm.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why does anything have to be free besides smiles and parking?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why does anything have to be free besides smiles and parking?

Just trying to get busier and not opposed to doing whatever we have to do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can't give a free exam on condition a patient buys glasses from you....

B. Condition the availability of an eye examination to any person on a requirement that the patient agree to purchase any ophthalmic goods from the ophthalmologist or optometrist;

The above from the FTC Prescription Release Rule .

You can have a "sale" and discount the exam amount off a pr. of glasses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You can't give a free exam on condition a patient buys glasses from you....

B. Condition the availability of an eye examination to any person on a requirement that the patient agree to purchase any ophthalmic goods from the ophthalmologist or optometrist;

The above from the FTC Prescription Release Rule .

You can have a "sale" and discount the exam amount off a pr. of glasses.
    It's all in the wording, like Americas Best ads that say "$39.99 eyeglasses, two pair complete including eye exam"

If you don't get the glasses they charge you for the eye exam. Of course only a couple frame styles are included for that price.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Very disconcerting to hear this discussion. I don't think ANYTHING should be for free.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Very disconcerting to hear this discussion. I don't think ANYTHING should be for free.
    Well if anyone has any better ideas to stir up some much needed business in Michigan's depression I'm all ears.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Well if anyone has any better ideas to stir up some much needed business in Michigan's depression I'm all ears.
    How about free glasses with the purchase of an eye exam?? Then you won't have to worry about perceived ethics violations.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about a free eye exam AND free glasses?? That will really get some attention.

Or you could think a little harder and do something that helps people while not killing your business and the entire profession.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why not do free vision screenings, then if they do get an exam and glasses discount the amount of the exam off the glasses for a final bargain of like $50

It might be tough to work yourselves out of that bargain basement clientele though. Once people get to know your business as the place that gives everything away, you are setting yourself up for tough expectations down the road.

Maybe just offering free screenings would be enough

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Wait till the insurance companies see that you've lowered your "usual and customary" fee for exams to $0 . I imagine you'll get some mail.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    free eye exams? Why even open? I thought the point of business was to make money.

Never, never, never give away your services.

Once internet glasses take off, your services will be all you have left. Good luck getting any of those patients back once they find they have to pay for the same exam you gave away last time.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about free eye exams, free glasses, a $50 voucher for internet glasses, a $20 gift card to McDonalds, and a free back rub?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about free eye exams, free glasses, a $50 voucher for internet glasses, a $20 gift card to McDonalds, and a free back rub?
    Imagine all the attention you'd get with that promotion!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Oh Si! Quando?
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    Oh Si! Quando?
    Nada!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ha! How about I talk to the doc today given all the feedback I got here from my peeps and let her know (gently of course) that the whole idea blows? Then we'll talk about marketing 101 and the perception of value.

Thread Information