Thread: Low Vision

Bad address email on file

Question Low Vision

I'm in the midst of convincing my MD we should start providing our area with low vision aids. I'd like to start out small with filtered lenses, magnifiers, and lights. In the past I've worked with Corning CPF lenses and have a fairly good understanding of what that's all about. I've also delt with magnifiers and again have some understanding of what it takes to help people with Macula problems with regards to magnification. Some day I'd like to get into telescopic glasses etc. My Dr. thinks it's a good idea and I already have an acct. with Lighthouse International and also have their CE directory. I was just wondering if anybody else is doing low vision and how it's going for them.
    Thanks
    PBS

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It can be a very rewarding addition to daily dispensing ..... but it is very time consuming. You can hardly charge enough money to cover your time.

You may find that you demonstrate someting that will help them and then they either don't think they need it yet or they find it to clumbsy or complicated.

To my surprise, Opthalmology is often not very positive or supportive. So unless your MD is really enthusiastic then put in only a minimum stock until you can prove some success.

I dispense low vision aids and glad that I do, but it is more of a public service than a profit center.

Ask at the library or senior center and get aquainted with the low-vision support groups

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Pete,
    We are doing low vision dispensing also. As an ophthalmology practice we have a large base of ARMD, glaucoma and other retinal disorder patients, so this is a natural fit. Our MD's do not do the low vision evals our one optom does that and often.

I agree with Homer's sentiments regarding low vision dispensing.
    We always reinforce to the patient that we can not restore their vision but we can see if we can enhance their remaining vision using CPF's and other filter lenses.

Don't forget little items that can make tasks easier for them around their home such as items from various catalogs. Serve as a resource and carry large print playing cards, here in the Northeast-large print thermostat dials, measuring cups, etc. or have ready access to them.

It is a tremendous feeling in helping to improve a patients quality of life. Got a big hug from one gentleman yesterday.

Bev

Thread Information