Thread: UK / US Terminology

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

UK / US Terminology

Hi everybody,

I'm a Scottish writer working with both British and Spanish Opticians. (Optician Marketing.) I've published a marketing guide (free) specifically for British opticians. I want to make it avaiable in the States & Canada too.

Can you trans-Atlantic folks help me with some of the terminology?

If anybody can help, I'll be glad to send you a copy of a $69.95 manual of specific marketing strategies for Opticians. (It'll be in UK English till I can fix it, though!)

What do you call a small, independent Optician? Say, with 1 (or more) Optician shops in a mall, or a small town, for example? In the UK, that's a 'High Street Optician' but I don't think you'd say that in the States? Or would you?

I notice that there's a tendency (in the US at least) to use the word 'Optometrist' rather than 'Optician'. While I know the difference, do US Optical Shop owners prefer one over the other? Or is there a legal reason for this?

UK Opticians are having a hard time with competition fron Chinese websites and big, multiple stores. (Specsavers, Boots/D&A, Vision Express etc.)

Are US/Canadian Opticians concerned? If so, which multiple, franchise-type operations are proving challenging?

Thanks in advance.

Norman. (Spain)

PS Remember to send me an email address for the manual.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I just noticed on my profile that it says I'm an Ophtalmologist.

This is incorrect. I am a writer/editor of marketing resources for Optician shops. I am NOT qualified as an Ophthalmologist nor Optometrist.

Sorry about that - I didn't choose this in my profile. I'm changing it now!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The first one would just be an independent dispensing optician.

There is a difference here between optician and optometrist, optometrists refract and provide the comprehensive exams, opticians deal with glasses (fitting, dispensing, selection, recommendations, etc.) but do not refract. so there is a difference that should be respected on both ends. in many cases opticians work in optometrist owned practices, the independent here is quickly disappearing. Johns has a totally different model and could help you extensively if he is available and willing.

There is plenty of pressure from websites and chains, lenscrafters, eyemasters, pearle, walmart, eyemart express, eyeglass world, sears, etc. We have to decide how to differentiate ourselves from them through our products and more importantly our service.

its early, so be kind. i can probably go deeper later .

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by norrimac View Post
    Hi everybody,

I'm a Scottish writer working with both British and Spanish Opticians. (Optician Marketing.) I've published a marketing guide (free) specifically for British opticians. I want to make it avaiable in the States & Canada too.

Can you trans-Atlantic folks help me with some of the terminology?

If anybody can help, I'll be glad to send you a copy of a $69.95 manual of specific marketing strategies for Opticians. (It'll be in UK English till I can fix it, though!)

What do you call a small, independent Optician? Say, with 1 (or more) Optician shops in a mall, or a small town, for example? In the UK, that's a 'High Street Optician' but I don't think you'd say that in the States? Or would you?

Independent Optical / Optometric Practice

I notice that there's a tendency (in the US at least) to use the word 'Optometrist' rather than 'Optician'. While I know the difference, do US Optical Shop owners prefer one over the other? Or is there a legal reason for this?

Legally the term Optometrist is protected in all states, the term Optician is protected in about half the states. Optometrists are the primary care doctors in the ophthalmic arena and opticians are the primary suppliers of eyewear in the ophthalmic industry. I could go into more detail but it woudl be similar to your ophthalmic opticians and dispensing opticians, the Optometrists of the US would be like a beefed up versio of your ophthalmic opticians because they also are allowed to prescribe many drugs.

UK Opticians are having a hard time with competition fron Chinese websites and big, multiple stores. (Specsavers, Boots/D&A, Vision Express etc.)

The US and Canada are the same, even the large once ophthalmic firms are going direct to consumer here.

Are US/Canadian Opticians concerned?

Some are some are just used to getting small piece of their business cut away from them.

If so, which multiple, franchise-type operations are proving challenging?

Lenscrafters, Pearle, Walmart, Sears, Americas Best, FourEyes, HourEyes, etc. Most independent in the US have figured out that these shops are not truly competition when compareing the total experience.

Thanks in advance.

Norman. (Spain)

PS Remember to send me an email address for the manual.
    Donate the copy to an independent optical in your area if you wish. Good luck with your project.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information