Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essilor of America Launches MyOnlineOptical.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Essilor of America Launches MyOnlineOptical.com

Essilor of America Launches MyOnlineOptical.com

DALLAS – (March 26, 2010) – Essilor of America, Inc., the nation’s leading manufacturer of optical lenses, today announces the launch of its MyOnlineOptical.com e-commerce solution for independent eyecare professionals (ECPs). Following a successful Beta test with a limited number of ECPs, in partnership with FramesDirect.com, Essilor has expanded the availability of the offering which enables ECPs to provide optical products online to their current and future patients. In order to secure the technology and deploy this industry-leading solution to all ECPs, Essilor has acquired a majority stake in FramesDirect.com.

“E-commerce is rapidly emerging in our industry as more consumers enjoy the convenience of online purchasing,” said John Carrier, president, Essilor of America. “However, a solution including the ECP did not exist and our research indicated that most ECPs felt ill-equipped to compete. As long time industry partners, Essilor felt responsible to provide our customers with a solution to meet this challenge.”
    “Eyeglass e-commerce is undeniably becoming a reality in today’s ophthalmic industry worldwide,” said Randolph E. Brooks, O.D., American Optometric Association (AOA) president. “We’ve received positive feedback from the Beta test and believe that MyOnlineOptical.com will provide optometrists with an opportunity to compete with online entities by offering additional visual correction solutions, and therefore increase patient retention and promote healthy practice growth.”

Essilor’s MyOnlineOptical.com allows ECPs to add a turnkey e-commerce engine that extends their reach beyond office walls and office hours to 24/7 accessibility. ECPs maintain complete control, determining the product pricing and selection, and preserving the look and feel of their practice Web sites. ECPs can provide patients with up to 100,000 eyeglass options, and keep them from walking out the door to a competitive offering. The MyOnlineOptical.com solution will allow ECPs to offer patients a secure, convenient and robust online purchasing tool for eyewear, while saving on staff time and inventory.

MyOnlineOptical.com has given me a valuable tool to compete in the online global marketplace,” said Kim Castleberry, OD. “My patients like the selection and convenience of purchasing products online and my practice bottom line is enhanced. Moreover, it has not increased my overhead. I’m not sure what the future holds for online optical sales, but I do know I have a tool to compete, thanks to Essilor.”

source: http://www.framesdirectblog.com/essi...neoptical-com/
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 03-27-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Savior of the Optical Industry......................................

Actually Essilor claims to be the savior of the industry...................

As long time industry partners, Essilor felt responsible to provide our customers with a solution to meet this challenge.”

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Highest level of customer service..............................

Highest level of customer service
    The site links into your own practice website, adopting its look and feel. With a dedicated web address and 1-800 number, your patients will be treated with the highest level of customer service by trained, dedicated opticians.

source: http://www.myonlineoptical.com/

all you have to do is taking the PD and do the adjustments.....................

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm not the biggest fish in the sea, but I'm swimming away from Essilor.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    One little fish, then two then three, then a whole school away from Essilor.

Remember when you order STOCK lenses as well to specify ABE lenses (Anything But Essilor). A dollar spent on Essilor is another dollar spent for them to continue their takeovers.

Resolution and Vision Ease both make great stock lenses, BTW.

Did I invent "ABE?"

It sounds pretty cool, and it came right out, but it might already be out there!

:cheers:

Occupation

“Eyeglass e-commerce is undeniably becoming a reality

“Eyeglass e-commerce is undeniably becoming a reality in today’s ophthalmic industry worldwide,” said Randolph E. Brooks, O.D., American Optometric Association (AOA) president. “We’ve received positive feedback from the Beta test and believe that MyOnlineOptical.com will provide optometrists with an opportunity to compete with online entities by offering additional visual correction solutions, and therefore increase patient retention and promote healthy practice growth

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would love a website that helped me compete with the internet market - especially being in NZ - on an island so to speak. If I could get my clients used to ordering from me on line - all the better. You will always have clients who want to see you face to face, and do things in person - however for those growing numbers of internet junkies *my five kids are an example - I think you need to stop acting like every idea is an attack on business, and concentrate of how to use new technology in your own business to gain new clientèle.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I'm not the biggest fish in the sea, but I'm swimming away from Essilor.
    Too late.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by hridgeway View Post
    Too late.
    Disagree. Big companies love to analyze things. If independents begin to leave in droves, they will try to figure out why. In addition, they will have their sales rep telling them because he/she is going to feel it first. The roadside is littered with ill-conceived acquisitions. However, only the ECPs can control the direction that this takes. Sitting on the sideline with a defeatest attitude is a self fulfilling prophesy.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I'm invested in one "independent" eyewear supplier...think I'll go double my bet!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by engnenk View Post
    Disagree. Big companies love to analyze things. If independents begin to leave in droves
    Still won't happen. Too late to bail now. Full speed ahead!

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Even if a shop were to provide services online why would you want to do it through Essilor when they will collect that patient data and use it to grow their business and further erode the ECP's. Also the laboratory is of course a Essilor Laboratory so they are going to flood their lab network with cheap online labor which will slow down turn times on in office jobs. Ultimately this is the time if ever to leave the mother ship.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by hridgeway View Post
    Still won't happen. Too late to bail now. Full speed ahead!
    Full speed ahead to what. If there is a clear strategy I might agree. However, full speed ahead into the unknown seems to be using hope as a strategy.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WHAT A JOKE !!!!!! How about I rob the bank you keep your money in and tell you it's for your own good because everyone else is robbing your bank.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reply moved to the Pro Forum...
    Last edited by Johns; 03-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reply moved to pro forum.
    Last edited by Johns; 03-28-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Is there any way to set this up as a poll within the forum?

Also, ECPs need to spread the word and enlist your competition in the effort.

One other thing. I am certain that Essilor trolls every forum, blog and any other online publication to find references to their company. There is a good chance that they will reach out to anyone that speaks up in an effort to win you back or shut you up.

Keep up the good fight.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by engnenk View Post
    Is there any way to set this up as a poll within the forum?

Also, ECPs need to spread the word and enlist your competition in the effort.

One other thing. I am certain that Essilor trolls every forum, blog and any other online publication to find references to their company. There is a good chance that they will reach out to anyone that speaks up in an effort to win you back or shut you up.

Keep up the good fight.
    I've been contacted to the point of nausea. The last time I talked to them, HP, in trying to convince me that this was "for ECP's own good", said, "And besides, this is just a test, and we're won't even touch anybody over a -4.75". I kid you not, I had to laugh at him.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Even if a shop were to provide services online why would you want to do it through Essilor when they will collect that patient data and use it to grow their business and further erode the ECP's. Also the laboratory is of course a Essilor Laboratory so they are going to flood their lab network with cheap online labor which will slow down turn times on in office jobs. Ultimately this is the time if ever to leave the mother ship.
    Thank you YrahG. Data mining is where the money's at.

An Ex-Lux rep told me that Eyemed wanted ECP to take Eyemed for the simple task of collecting Data. Think about it. Pick up a couple hundred patients whom you could send super special deals only available at a Lux owned store. Smart.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyejim View Post
    Thank you YrahG. Data mining is where the money's at.

An Ex-Lux rep told me that Eyemed wanted ECP to take Eyemed for the simple task of collecting Data. Think about it. Pick up a couple hundred patients whom you could send super special deals only available at a Lux owned store. Smart.

I agree, but in their case (Lux) , they've already got the info because the pt would be a member before they'd be a pt. (In many/most cases)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I agree, but in their case (Lux) , they've already got the info because the pt would be a member before they'd be a pt. (In many/most cases)
    I don't think I thought that one through. DUH! There was some other slant he gave it, heck I don't know. Maybe that's why he was Ex Lux.:hammer:

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Let's look at some things from their Terms of Agreement:

2.1 The Company assumes no responsibility for the quality, fitness, safety, reliability or legality of the Products.

Obviously online quality work is what you will have to represent. Your high-end practice as you call it will only be s good as the high-volume lab that services your clients. Let's hope the legality never gets challenged, because that's on you as well, safety well hope they drop ball it. Not very high-end to me, but what do I know about high-end.

The Company will, generally within fifteen (15) business days of the end of each calendar month or other time so agreed between you and Company, cause to be distributed to you your Fund Balance.

You'll get your pittance once a month.

In order to participate in the Service, you will be required to pay a $250.00 initial fee (“Initial Fee”) upon establishing the Service. You hereby authorize the Company to debit any Initial Fee due and payable from your credit card on file.

The gotcha, $250.00 initially.

For each Renewal Term provided under this Agreement, you shall be required to pay another $250.00 fee (“Continuation Fee”) upon each renewal of the Service; provided, however, that Company shall waive the Continuation Fee if during the immediately preceding Term, your account generated at least six (6) Transactions. You hereby authorize Company to debit any Continuation Fee due and payable from your Fund Balance or credit card on file.

Keep feeding the beast or pay another $250.00 penalty, I mean continuation fee.

Company will process payments provided to you from End Users. By agreeing to receive the Services, you authorize Company to hold, receive, and disburse funds on your behalf. To process Transactions, you hereby authorize Company (or third parties acting on Company’s behalf) to debit or credit (as appropriate) your Fund Balance. In the event your Fund Balance does not cover any additional payments due according to this Agreement, you authorize Company to charge additional amounts to your credit card on file. If there is an error in the processing of any Transaction, you authorize Company to initiate debit or credit entries, as applicable, to correct such error, provided that any such correction is made in accordance with Applicable Law.

Well are you going to change your in store return policy to match your online policy or well you can't do it the other way around so they will dictate your terms. The only other option is to have a contradication to your online terms and in store terms further making buying online better than in your store.

By agreeing to the terms and conditions contained in this User Agreement, you hereby agree to adopt and abide by the Return Policy (“Return Policy”) described and incorporated herein by reference.

We'll get into the return poliy in a minute.

you will fulfill all of your obligations to each End User, including, but not limited to, providing the End User with eye measurements and making necessary Product fittings and/or adjustments; (e) any End User or other consumer dispute or complaint will be resolved directly with the End User;

So you'll still have to measure, fit, and adjust these glasses just as your brick and mortar and you better believe that they will more than likely send you customers from their framesdirect sales as well.

YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT COMPANY SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY PRODUCT LIABILITY CLAIMS REGARDING PRODUCTS PROVIDED UNDER THE SERVICE.

Your responsible for everything about these glasses, except for the labs that can produce them, the products that can be supplied.

You understand that Company is offering this service to select Eye Care Professionals. You agree to keep the Terms of this Agreement strictly confidential, and further agree not to publicly disseminate information about the Service to other members of the vision care community. Any confidential information acquired or developed by you as a result of participation in the Service is and shall remain the property of Company and shall not be disclosed by you to others except to the extent necessary to communicate with patients regarding the terms and conditions of the Service.

Standard Essilor shut your mouth about it.

Company may modify the terms of this Agreement, any Policies or the features of the Service at any time. The amended Agreement or Policy will be posted to the Company website. Any such change in terms will be effective upon posting to the Company website or when otherwise communicated to you (whichever is earlier). You will be deemed to accept any changes if you use the Service after the terms become effective. If you do not accept a change to this Agreement or feature of the Service, your sole remedy is to contact Company to terminate this Agreement. You are at all times responsible for reading and understanding each version of this Agreement and any applicable Policies.

Standard in most terms of agreement nowadays, but the fact that it becomes active immediately means you can be caught in uncompromising situations at their whim. Even credit card companies have a 30 day period in which you can refuse and new terms.

Nothing in this Agreement, except to the limited extent in Section 3.2, is intended to or creates any type of joint venture, employee-employer, creditor-debtor, escrow, partnership, or any fiduciary relationship between Company and yourself.

"We are not your partners", despite what our reps tell you. Couldn't help that one.

EYE CARE PRACTITIONER attests that his/her business complies with, and will continue to comply with, all applicable licensing/registration laws or statutory regulations in each state where his/her business intends to sell Company Products.

That's funny this could be interpreted to mean that you will not sell in any licensed state that you don't have a license in, even though their entire business model was built on taking advantage of these loopholes.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's one H3LL of a post.

Especially the last point.

Incredible, but true.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Able

Judy coined me with ABLE I like it (anyone but essilor or Luxottica)!!! I haven't used either one in years way too many other products and mfg's available that are better.
    It keeps me purring, and the big E&L make me hiss and bush out my fur.:angry: It's about time that everyone started waking up from this deep zombie walk of E&L. Hoya, Shamir, Vision Ease, Younger, Optima, Rodenstock, Seiko, Ex-cell, etc all have great products.
    I came, I saw, I left

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I may have fit my last essilor lens today.

Thread Information