You said:
I read this board almost daily and reply almost never because of some who use it as a "bully pulpit" to disparrage others with no real background to support their opinions. All have a right to those opinions, but in Opticianry particularly, there is little formal preparation required to enter the profession. I see people spout off on this board often about the national organizations and the poor job they are doing that have never been members or even been to a national meeting.
I have posted many postings and a few threads about the viability of the National organizations. I have been to 5 national conventions in the the past 15 years. I am a member of OAA through the state since a portion of our dues are sent to OAA. I have asked for an accounting for the money that our Association has sent in the last 8 years that has led to a condition of almost dissolution at this point. As a state leader and Secretary/Treasure of our state association I have the right to question. You might critisize the free posting of concerns of Opticians on this forum but you need to as others look at these postings as a means to stimulating the interests of those who don't participate at any level in the advancement of Opticianry. I applaud organizations who have set standards in the past but I challenge those organizations to make changes now and in the future to move our profession forward. The status quo is not good enough!
Opinions are important, but if you don't have a foundation for those opinions then they serve no value to anyone other than making you feel important. My point; make criticism in a constructive manner. We have serious problems here people and working together to solve them is the key to any future success, and believe me we will again have our day. There are many fully committed to that end. But we have a number of things that should be addressed.
All opinions are constructive as long as they create dialogue and ideas to improve the point being discussed. If there is no foundation to the opinion being presented then enlighten us to the truth. Don't hide in the background and strike out at those questioning.

You make strong valid points in the last part of your post that I applaud. It is to bad that scathing critism has to be a part of any post. As an educator: educate! Many in this online discussion group need your input. Do it often to bring out the truth.

:cheers: Jerry