Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BC Opticians Regulations Changed

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

BC Opticians Regulations Changed

How do you think that this will affect your business?

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...015-000286.htm

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    How do you think that this will affect your business?

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...015-000286.htm
    Opticians sight testing = It will level the playing field among the O's.
    Online eye wear legit = Yuck, time will tell if this is a good idea, my guess is that online eye wear will take about 30% of the market that low end. I see the value of eye wear diminishing over the years, but with opticians sight testing they have a new revenue stream, so it looks like it might hurt the other O's more.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I will ask the same question here that I did on the other thread. What in the H--- is going on out there??

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Opticians will benefit from refraction - so I see this hurting optometrists more than them, but this is going to hurt opticians as well, since the law is essentially removing all barriers to glasses/CL dispensing, which is their primary revenue stream.

How will this affect the optical chains (Lenscrafters etc.) who have arrangements with ODs? They can now just choose to franchise with opticians only.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patients will still want to FEEL the product and SEE it on their face so I feel the impact to Opticians will be minimal in regards to eyelgasses. Contact lenses? Forget it...lost leader. Remember, eyeglasses have been available in the States for quite sometime now and they have yet to REALLY inpact the market. One bad progressive, (and there have been many for what I've heard) and they'll know to never go back.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So, opticians are required to give a copy of the prescription once the sight test is complete - and the customer just takes it with them to order glasses online.

How much are you BC sight testers charging for a prescription these days?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The price JUST went up! haha.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye See View Post
    The price JUST went up! haha.
    THERE won't be any opticians or Colleges or CE credits . It removes restrictions so that anyone can dispense eyewear and probably contacts too.

GOOD MOVE BC REGISTRAR ! Why did you not prove risk of harm ? All the judges asked you about risk of harm .

What is the point of getting sight testing if you have to give away all the measurements and anyone can dispense ? You gave away the fort to gain what ?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whoa there! Risk of harm has already been proved...why else would we be regulated? It would be redundant to argue that point as the government has already acknowledged that fact. Regulation will still exist because there is an inherent risk of harm to the public if a refracting Optician does not refer when they should.

Time to up our skills!!! Huge gain for Opticians!!

I'm just saying...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This is horrible news. At the root of this all I think we can lay the blame at the greedy old school optometrists that made it so difficult for patients to get their Rx elsewhere. I always give my patients a copy of their Rx - ALWAYS, but far too often I hear stories of OD's that refused to release or made a big deal about trying to keep the customer (oops I mean patient).

Just wonderful... now I have to start wasting my time taking PD's on everyone? My job just became 100x more annoyng as of May 1st. :angry:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    this is the part that really stinks:

An October 2009 decision by the B.C. Court of Appeal found that Coastal Contacts, a B.C.-based online eyewear seller with approximately 120 employees, is contravening the regulations by dispensing contact refills without seeing a prescription. These regulatory changes will address the court decision.
    They didn't like the courts decision, so they changed the law? :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "
    " Whoa there! Risk of harm has already been proved...why else would we be regulated? It would be redundant to argue that point as the government has already acknowledged that fact. Regulation will still exist because there is an inherent risk of harm to the public if a refracting Optician does not refer when they should. "

Bull S-- , why did all the Chamber judges and the appeal judges raise the topic in their "reasons for Decision" then ? It is because they are individually ignorant of what those risks are . Therefore, the risks needed to be described. A point of law is useless if 4 judges want an explanation of the risks and it is not given. Are you telling me the public should be able to buy contacts on line without a RX and without "specifications" . Does the public know the difference between an eyeglass RX and a contact lense RX ? And your argument holds no water or saline solution because BC opticians were just constructively dismissed.

The job of refracting opticians will now be to con the public into accepting a sight test refraction when most opticians know damn well that the public has no idea whatsoever of the difference between an eye health exam and a refraction.

The public will be cheated out of their health.

This is the high cost of low prices !

Last edited by idispense; 03-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    At some point in the future, opticians won't even need to "con" the public into accepting sight tests, because by then, optician sight-testing will be viewed as "normal".

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    THERE won't be any opticians or Colleges or CE credits . It removes restrictions so that anyone can dispense eyewear and probably contacts too.

GOOD MOVE BC REGISTRAR ! Why did you not prove risk of harm ? All the judges asked you about risk of harm .
    Can you explain why you are referring to in this post - for those of us who didn't follow the lawsuit that closely?

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherOD View Post
    Can you explain why you are referring to in this post - for those of us who didn't follow the lawsuit that closely?
    I think idispense is referring to the original court case between the College of Opticians of BC & Coastal Contacts. In this court case the College loses because they fail to identify the optician who is supposed to be on staff at Coastal and they fail to show "risk of harm" see item (56) . There are lots of other references in the decision that indicates the Judge is not convinced about "risk of harm" . You can read the case here : http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlig...08bcsc617.html

The College registrar or lawyer might think that 'risk of harm" does not have to be proven because of some point of law that says it is "presumed that there is a risk of harm " as is evidenced by there being a law . I am wondering if anyone might now be regretting that choice .

The third court case seeking the name & identity of the optician that should have been identified in court case # 1 was also a bust for the College. You really do have to wonder about lawyers and their advice and wonder why that case even went to court. Did they not have the optician in their College data base ? If there was not an optician in the data base registered to Coastal, what more did they need ? Were there more precedents that Coastal needed on their side ? http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlig...10bcsc104.html

Then of course there was the appeal of the first case where all 3 appeal judges might seem to wonder about "risk of harm "

http://www.canlii.org/eliisa/highlig...09bcca459.html

This was a slight win for the College in that it required Coastal to have an RX , but really it was almost like a suspended sentence and as such was a win for Coastal because it allowed them to keep selling . Again there was no proof of "risk of harm" only the reliance on a law that "presumes" risk.

If that law was so omnipotent , then why are the judges questioning it ? Maybe the college could explain ?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I still don't know enough to understand. What was the role of the optician (this person was hired by Coastal?), and what did this person do? Did a patient get hurt?

>Allowing people to order glasses or contacts online without having to give the seller a copy of their prescription, sight-test assessment or contact-lens specifications.

How were things done before? The patient would have to fax or mail in their Rx? Now they simply need to tell them the numbers??

Won't this apply to optical stores too??

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Contact lens will be in grocery, pharmacy .. convenience store ... pick up your CL yourself ... you feel you need stronger ... go .. pick up more power ... INSANE !!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherOD View Post
    I still don't know enough to understand. What was the role of the optician (this person was hired by Coastal?), and what did this person do? Did a patient get hurt?

>Allowing people to order glasses or contacts online without having to give the seller a copy of their prescription, sight-test assessment or contact-lens specifications.

How were things done before? The patient would have to fax or mail in their Rx? Now they simply need to tell them the numbers??

Won't this apply to optical stores too??
    The reason for taking Clearly Contacts to court was to find out exactly what the law in B.C. is regarding the dispensing of contact lenses. To order contact lenses from Clearly Contacts all the customer has to do is to copy the information from their current contact lens packaging and they would receive their lenses in the mail.

To order cosmetic contact lenses all one has to do is pick the colour and pay the price, all without Clearly Contacts taking any responsibility for harm to the consumer. When the COBC issued a press release on the dangers of cosmetic contact lenses for Halloween there was no response from the media so apparently the public has a very low concern/awareness of the dangers to the eye health of the young people that would purchase these lenses and wear them for the coolness factor.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    How does this effect your fight with GG? I understand no one has done anything to him. Does this legitimize his operations now??
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    How does this effect your fight with GG? I understand no one has done anything to him. Does this legitimize his operations now??
    Other end of the country so the regulations in Ontario are unaffected. Interestingly, I just received a resume from someone working at GG stating he wants to become an optician (and hence needs an office to work in.) The conspiracy theorist in me says he is being sent by GG themselves to become a licensed optician.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is really, really bad. Essentially, dispensing eyewear is no longer a controlled act in BC. Sure, opticians can now refract and prescribe but who needs a prescription anyway? People are going to order the same lenses for years until they have a problem. It must be true that everyone smokes marijuana in BC.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    This is really, really bad. Essentially, dispensing eyewear is no longer a controlled act in BC. Sure, opticians can now refract and prescribe but who needs a prescription anyway? People are going to order the same lenses for years until they have a problem. It must be true that everyone smokes marijuana in BC.
    Where are the BC opticians on this forum ? Have they nothing to say ?

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Where are the BC opticians on this forum ? Have they nothing to say ?
    They must be busy looking for jobs on monster.com
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dude these Canadians are crazy? I don't know how any optician could be comfortable doing stand alone refractions. Each person you refract could have undiagnosed glaucoma or worse. No matter what you tell the patient and they sign, in the US you would be liable for a lawsuit.

Those internet giants are going to have kiosks all over the place. Professional eye care is next to dead in BC.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    Dude these Canadians are crazy? I don't know how any optician could be comfortable doing stand alone refractions. Each person you refract could have undiagnosed glaucoma or worse. No matter what you tell the patient and they sign, in the US you would be liable for a lawsuit.

Those internet giants are going to have kiosks all over the place. Professional eye care is next to dead in BC.
    I wouldn't say its next to dead... we already have opticians refracting here... only difference is it will no longer have to be rubber stamped by an MD.

Thread Information