Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunsensors vs. Transitions

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I think the above statement is pretty obvious really, that is what everyone wants from a photochromic, however, as we all know, performance is a trade off, its a chemical equilibrium (UV incidence vs ambient temperature) while manufacturers all try their best to optimise the system in the best matrix. What we see Tr6 doing is admitting the hot weather knocks nearly 50% off the final activation strength, and sell a system which is inherantly a lot darker and slower, angled specifically at getting glasses more tuned to hotter climate performance. This means the same system in cold weather is now far too slow, too dark and poorer residual colour indoors than a lot of people find acceptable.
    On the back of this they are fragmenting their market into special leisure areas by promoting lenses specifically for golfing, cycling, fishing, outdoor frisbee throwing, horseriding and dog walking (ok, I exaggerate a little) - is this because they are under so much pressure to reinvent the wheel every year, and there is now no further they can go with the Tr6 system?

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    in fact it all depend of the patients requirements and expectations ,if they r intersted in more darker tint outours and little tint indoor.....i prefare SUNSENSOR and if they want Moderate tint outdoor and reasonable clear indoors..i opt for Transitions.
    but tell you SUNSENSOR has many limitations......one can not advice it with most of the prescriptions ,specially if there is a difference of 1.00 Dioptre. which results in diffrence in thickness of the lens ,therefore the darkness would also differ in both lenses,while Transition is the best choice then

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

LifeRx Clarification

Vision-Ease Lens would like to respond to the most recent comments on our LifeRx product and provide a few points of clarification.

To date, over 12 million LifeRx light-responsive lenses have sold, a remarkable accomplishment having launched just five years ago. And while we recognize there have been issues with LifeRx, we stress that the actual return rate is low - at just 0.4% with many accounts not experiencing any return issues. To put that number into perspective, the industry average for return rates overall is 3.0%.

In September of 2008, LifeRx product enhancements were implemented which equated to a stronger LifeRx with better chemical resistance without sacrificing any photochromic performance, a clear LifeRx competitive advantage. Continual product enhancements are an ongoing practice as we strongly believe in continuous improvement. The reality is that we do still experience returns as do all lenses.

In order to minimize product returns we offer the following Processing Tips:

While LifeRx lenses should be robust enough to not fail under any circumstances, we have learned through our ongoing return observations that many product failures may be avoided.

Improper sizing/tracing can put a lot of stress on lens product, this is even more critical with a laminated product; this stress can create a trigger point for lens issues.

We also witness grooved lenses where the groove is at the very front of the lens, hitting the exact spot where the laminate is molded. We recommend placing the groove at least 1mm back from the front of the lens.

Drill mounts are also a high-stress area. We witness cracking which is preventable 100% of the time around the drill hole; this can be a trigger point for delamination. It’s a challenge Vision-Ease Lens must overcome.

In summary, LifeRx sales are strong, product enhancements have been made and superior photochromic performance remains true.

Thank you for the opportunity to post and continued support. For customers wanting to speak with a Vision-Ease Lens technical representative, please contact Tim Nylen @ 763-506-9237.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hi -
    There is another option in light activated technology. The Dinamica Revolution photochromic lens, which is new to the market, is now available from Marma USA. I'll spare making this a commercial, but you may want to educate yourself a bit. There is info on the website www.marmausa.com.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Hi Chris - I think you may already have heard about the Dinamica Revolution.... I have a good friend who used to work for me, who is in Oregon as a rep. This is the new photochromic from Italy that is now available to opticians. I can email you info in case you would like to know details. Or the website is www.marmausa.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by PipeDrummer24 View Post
    Iin the few side-by-side tests I've done, the LifeRx deactivates MUCH quicker than the Transitions. Always a plus, in my book.
    That isn't necessarily always a good thing. Generally the faster they deactivate the faster they will become affected by the heat.

Thread Information