Thread: study guides needed asap((if possible)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

study guides needed asap((if possible)

Dear Colleagues,

I do not know if this is the appropiate forum to present this situation, but I need assistance if at all possible. I am registered to take the ABO/NCLE examination in May and I do not have the current study guides to prepare properly. It has been over 20 years since I had to do "serious studying" and I am at a loss. The study materials are extremely expensive(to purchase the basic ABO and NCLE study guides) and I need to get "on this" on an ASAP basis. Therefore I am asking all nationally certified opticians if it would be possible if I can "rent" these materials at a "reasonable cost".I realize this may be an "usual request", but I thought I would inquire none the less. Your input and or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

R.Finder (rahazel8@aol.com)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Why do all of these requests for assistance and study guides seem to come at the last minute?

Why are we so reluctant to spend a few rupees on some course material?

All of the resources that you need to learn what you need to know to pass this test is available right here online for free.

Luzerne Optical Laboratories
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out the Open Optix material, free on-line. Open Optix has ABO and NCLE study guides.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rahazel8 View Post
    Dear Colleagues,

I do not know if this is the appropiate forum to present this situation, but I need assistance if at all possible. I am registered to take the ABO/NCLE examination in May and I do not have the current study guides to prepare properly. It has been over 20 years since I had to do "serious studying" and I am at a loss. The study materials are extremely expensive(to purchase the basic ABO and NCLE study guides) and I need to get "on this" on an ASAP basis. Therefore I am asking all nationally certified opticians if it would be possible if I can "rent" these materials at a "reasonable cost".I realize this may be an "usual request", but I thought I would inquire none the less. Your input and or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

R.Finder (rahazel8@aol.com)
    And we wonder why we cannot advance our profession. Why isn't it worth a monetary investement to ensure a longterm investment in ourselves.

:(

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I totally agree with you Diane.However, maybe you can clarify your comment regarding:one's willingness to make a monetary investment to further advance ourselves as professions"?I do not set the price structure of study materials for these examinations.I believe that having to spend over $600.00 for information in order to learn more ( and or refresh our theoretical knowledge from over 25 years)) in order to attain personal /professional satisfaction.Maybe you and anyone else reading my postings can understand in no way am I am insulting the value of eduaction and professional achievements for anyone. I was politely and respectfully(in my opinion of course) trying to ask for assitance from anyone who selflessly and genuinely was willing to give it. I am not on this website to start confrontional banter just to be condesending and rude. I thought this website was to help anyone in our profession on any level regardless of the subject matter. I obviously can not speak for anyone else , but I haveconducted my life, "as the old saying goes", if you can not say anything NICE,then don't say anything at all!" I wasn"t looking for a FREE hand out but basically asking anyone who had the study materials (assuming they did not need during this time period)pay an agreed upon "rental" fee then RETURN the materials to them and ship it back to them if neccesary.(assuming I could not drive to them ).It is a sad reflection (again) on human nature and the menatality of the world today that anyone at anytime feels they have the right to challenge someone's personal and professional values.(especially a stranger who doesn't even know them))If however, Diane I have misunderstood the underlining meaning of your profound comments, then I humbly apologize. Otherwise 'THINK before you jugde someone"! Respectfully Rhonda

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jerry, I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful and helpful suggestion. I appreciatewhat you did. I will check into it immediately.Regards, Rhonda

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rhonda,

As a contributer to the Open Optix Study Guide, I invite you to PM me with your needs, wants, concerns, and questions.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz, thank you for your offer to assist me in this matter. I have already downloaded the 1.3 version of the 99 page ABO document /study guide. May I contact you directly either via phone or business email to further discuss the ABO and NBCLE in depth in order to fully prepare for the May 16th examinations? I need to obtain study material for the NCLE as well. Please let me know which mode of communication you prefer. Regards, Rhonda

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rahazel8 View Post
    I totally agree with you Diane.However, maybe you can clarify your comment regarding:one's willingness to make a monetary investment to further advance ourselves as professions"?I do not set the price structure of study materials for these examinations.I believe that having to spend over $600.00 for information in order to learn more ( and or refresh our theoretical knowledge from over 25 years)) in order to attain personal /professional satisfaction.Maybe you and anyone else reading my postings can understand in no way am I am insulting the value of eduaction and professional achievements for anyone. I was politely and respectfully(in my opinion of course) trying to ask for assitance from anyone who selflessly and genuinely was willing to give it. I am not on this website to start confrontional banter just to be condesending and rude. I thought this website was to help anyone in our profession on any level regardless of the subject matter. I obviously can not speak for anyone else , but I haveconducted my life, "as the old saying goes", if you can not say anything NICE,then don't say anything at all!" I wasn"t looking for a FREE hand out but basically asking anyone who had the study materials (assuming they did not need during this time period)pay an agreed upon "rental" fee then RETURN the materials to them and ship it back to them if neccesary.(assuming I could not drive to them ).It is a sad reflection (again) on human nature and the menatality of the world today that anyone at anytime feels they have the right to challenge someone's personal and professional values.(especially a stranger who doesn't even know them))If however, Diane I have misunderstood the underlining meaning of your profound comments, then I humbly apologize. Otherwise 'THINK before you jugde someone"! Respectfully Rhonda
    Not judging you...I've been around a long time, and don't usually get in negative conversations. However, your profession is worth an investment of your time and money. Warren has started a thread regarding our profession and this speaks to the same issue, albeit in another vein. Until we look at ourselves as professionals and step up to the plate, we will not advance ourselves.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rhonda, like Diane, I too have invested a great deal of time and money into my career. I am pleased that you have decided to become certified, but I still retain some resentment towards the "zero-to-certified-in-60-days" path that so many of my colleagues have chosen. I'm sure that the Open Optix materials will be more than adequate to prepare you for the exam, however, I'm going to suggest that you also invest in some of the texts that have become standard reference materials for all of us including the Optical Formulas Tutorial and the System for Ophthalmic Dispensing. You can find them on the Amazon link provided on Optiboard. I wish you well on the exam, but caution you that certification is only the beginning of your career, not the end goal.

Thread Information