Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry Requirements

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Strange thought !! (even for me) Mary Sue Hopper (check the members list) told me about an INTERNATIONAL meeting to discuss licensing. Maybe someone should contact her about it and this. I think it was going to be in Toronto.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Strange thought !! (even for me) Mary Sue Hopper (check the members list) told me about an INTERNATIONAL meeting to discuss licensing. Maybe someone should contact her about it and this. I think it was going to be in Toronto.
    Message sent
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    As far as colleges go, Thomas Edison has been accepting the military's optical training for years,and along with a few general courses, turning it into an AAS in applied health studies. Maybe they could look at this. Roy?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    As far as colleges go, Thomas Edison has been accepting the military's optical training for years,and along with a few general courses, turning it into an AAS in applied health studies. Maybe they could look at this. Roy?
    My suggestion would be to teach the certificate program in colleges where an opticianry program could later be opened. That is why I would suggest that each state opticianry association develop a relationship with local institutions. Once we can prove the concept will work for the certificate program, the college may be more amenable to investing in the opticianry AAS. That’s just my thoughts. What do others think?

Roy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So.

Here we are.

I believe it's time to take this off the boards and get a bit organized here. A website? Social networking? Addiction support groups??? :)

It would be nice to have a single coherent location (web presence) for information as it pertains to goals and agenda, mission statement, education, state organizations, individuals, possible issues to be considering as they pertain to us now, and the future of opticianry in the US.

I know I wouldn't have the time to set up and maintain a site such as this to an adequate level, but perhaps there are others here who could...and more importantly would be willing to take it on? I wouldn't think it would need to be huge and fancy - just a single place to get 'the final word' as we get ourselves organized across the country.

Anyone? Bueller?

Occupation
    Florence-Darlington Tech http://www.fdtc.edu/ here in SC had a certificate in opticianry program that they closed down a couple years ago due to lack of interest, and that is in a licensed state. The State Board was accepting the certificate as well. Honestly, it doesn't speak well for SC opticians. Fezz is right, most people can't see past their own nose and wallet.
    I'm really just a lab guy that dispenses part time to make a few extra bucks. When I decided to get certified, I decided to go for broke. Why not? I love a challenge. It seems that isnt the case for most. I recently received the ABO's "master list" of 385 ABOM's and can you guess how many bothered to get the NCLE-AC? Eleven. Most of them post on this board; Warren, Diane, Tmorse, myself, etc... I'd love for this profession to become something. When I see opticianry programs in licensing states shut down for lack of interest, and ABOM's who won't bother to challenge themselves, it doesn't give me the warm fuzzy...
    It seems these higher certifications are considered worthless to just about everyone, certificant excluded. That was the general consensus at the un-expo, and I feel I must agree. One of the brightest of us has been sitting on what is probably a Muth winner, because what's the point?
    We talk about this over and over but the bottom line is, opticians don't see themselves as healthcare professionals. For most of them, it's a JOB. They stare off into space at CE classes. They do the minimum. I'm often ashamed to count myself among them. I much prefer to associate with those more knowledgable than myself. Now, a group like johns, fezz, harry c, warren, diane d, roy, kevin, etc; that's a group I'd be proud to count myself a part of, if even the least part.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But we are getting ready to change that Wes! I just got the the Sheraton in Arlingtin Texas. ROATx meeting begins shortly. If anyone is close, come on down. I will be back and more active on Monday, but letme just say that Dr. Ferguson has a great plan, and one we have discussed. Don't get the cart too far aheadm however. We need to kick it around a bit in a group and then see where we need to go. It will be a great journey.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Florence-Darlington Tech http://www.fdtc.edu/ here in SC had a certificate in opticianry program that they closed down a couple years ago due to lack of interest, and that is in a licensed state. The State Board was accepting the certificate as well. Honestly, it doesn't speak well for SC opticians. Fezz is right, most people can't see past their own nose and wallet.
    I'm really just a lab guy that dispenses part time to make a few extra bucks. When I decided to get certified, I decided to go for broke. Why not? I love a challenge. It seems that isnt the case for most. I recently received the ABO's "master list" of 385 ABOM's and can you guess how many bothered to get the NCLE-AC? Eleven. Most of them post on this board; Warren, Diane, Tmorse, myself, etc... I'd love for this profession to become something. When I see opticianry programs in licensing states shut down for lack of interest, and ABOM's who won't bother to challenge themselves, it doesn't give me the warm fuzzy...
    It seems these higher certifications are considered worthless to just about everyone, certificant excluded. That was the general consensus at the un-expo, and I feel I must agree. One of the brightest of us has been sitting on what is probably a Muth winner, because what's the point?
    We talk about this over and over but the bottom line is, opticians don't see themselves as healthcare professionals. For most of them, it's a JOB. They stare off into space at CE classes. They do the minimum. I'm often ashamed to count myself among them. I much prefer to associate with those more knowledgable than myself. Now, a group like johns, fezz, harry c, warren, diane d, roy, kevin, etc; that's a group I'd be proud to count myself a part of, if even the least part.
    Your not 'Just a Lab guy" your are one of an elite group of dedicated individuals. A group of maybe a dozen individuals that holds themselves to a higher measure. It's the same analogy I used before. You think Franklin, Jefferson, Adams, Washington, etc. were popular for their ideals and actions? They were in the minority. the status quo is what the masses wanted. Its what the masses want now, they like complaining but only the select few are willing to act.

There's a book I would suggest called "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield. In it Mr. Pressfield speaks about something he reffers to 'resistance' in essence it is the voice in your head that tells you why something wont work. This inner voice is amazingly rational and knows exactly what to whisper to make you stop your quest towards something you desire, be it professional, artistic, life, whatever. The Resistance is what holds us back and its arguments become stronger the closer you get to the thing you desire most. It kept me from going out on my own for 10 years and it holds Opticianry back from excelling. If life has points and touches that are pivital this book is one of them for me. Wess if you cant find it, I'll send you mine.
    Last edited by kcount; 03-19-2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: adding stuff
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes, you've nailed it. Sadly.

Again, I'm afraid it simply comes down to money. What can that certification do for me? Now in the case of many licenced health care professionals, it can do a lot. Because the government says it needs to. It's backed up by a national (in many, even most cases?) licensure / educational requirement, with an added practical proficiency required. Chicken and egg as was pointed out earlier here.

We can't hope to have colleges/universities offer a course that no one is motivated to take. And let's face it, at the end of the day, they're not there to "better the world through education". They exist to make a buck. And for any of us in the work force, that is also likely true. All the diplomas, degrees, certificates and licenses in the world are certainly great for one's own professional, intellectual and educational ego. It really does feel great to learn so much! But in the end, if you can gain nothing from them than having some extra fancy wallpaper, it just won't appeal to the masses.

It's a very strange double ended sword. On the one hand, big business and their lobby against being forced to pay much higher wages for their "frame stylists". On the other, no matter how well intentioned the cause may be, if it doesn't guarantee a quantifiable increase in the amount of bread being won for opticians today, right now, many will be lethargic at best to support the movement. Or worse, only provide lip service in 'support' of the cause, then disappear into the tried and true woodwork.

We've seen that happen before.

So in getting organized, how best do we mitigate the damage from both of those entities?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://sites.google.com/site/megaunexpo/

it aint much but its a start. AS we go along I'll start adding people and the ability to add posts.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks K,

I've done a bit of web design and admin in the past years - just have a dearth of time to commit to the online presence right now. But please count on me as needed and I will step up and do everything I can to assist. If I can help with the site, info etc. I'll do all I can. Shall I PM with contact info?

Bri~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Thanks K,

I've done a bit of web design and admin in the past years - just have a dearth of time to commit to the online presence right now. But please count on me as needed and I will step up and do everything I can to assist. If I can help with the site, info etc. I'll do all I can. Shall I PM with contact info?

Bri~
    That works for me.

Who ever else would like to contribute, PM me the contact info and I'll get it set up.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On it's way Mate. Thanks for the work in setting up a presence. PM on it's way.

By the way, our own Pete wrote a really great bit on the importance of education in another thread not long ago. While the subject was different from this, the main thrust is almost exactly the same (at least as it seems to me). A *VERY* good read. I'd love to see more of Pete's input here as well! wink wink, nudge nudge ;)

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...l=1#post328778

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    We can't hope to have colleges/universities offer a course that no one is motivated to take. And let's face it, at the end of the day, they're not there to "better the world through education". They exist to make a buck.
    They may primarily exist to make a buck but I would hope that there is just a tidge of altruism in their existence. There have been three schools in Massachusetts that closed their doors due primarily to low enrollment. WITI, Quinsigamond and Holyoke. There is a program at Ben Franklin that is the sole program in the Commonwealth. I do not believe that tne New England College of Optometry offers any course work.

I wonder if the educators on this board would be so kind as to submit historical enrollment figures. It seems that, in some cases , enrollments tend to decline after a few years. Another problem is that many courses are not transferable to another institution.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is my hope that RBaker offers to transport all of us who are trying to make a difference around in his plane!

Come on R-, you know that you want to!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    They may primarily exist to make a buck but I would hope that there is just a tidge of altruism in their existence. There have been three schools in Massachusetts that closed their doors due primarily to low enrollment. WITI, Quinsigamond and Holyoke. There is a program at Ben Franklin that is the sole program in the Commonwealth. I do not believe that tne New England College of Optometry offers any course work.

I wonder if the educators on this board would be so kind as to submit historical enrollment figures. It seems that, in some cases , enrollments tend to decline after a few years. Another problem is that many courses are not transferable to another institution.
    I would like to think they exist for that as well Dick - but the sad reality seems to point to a different motivator. And as you point out, even more than a lack of money, a lack of warm bodies in the seats will kill any educational facility quicker than quick. And at the end of the day, even with the most altruistic intentions...they just don't pay the bills.

For that matter, I would love to personally fly each and every optician out from my state, to attend this first gathering, get fired up, motivated, and active in working towards real change in our profession. But clearly, that's not even in the same universe as realistic. :)

Having been in education (as well as optics) for many years, I can tell you there are so many educators who most certainly are NOT doing their job for the money. They do it for the love of knowledge both gained and given. But to be realistic, they also have to make enough to survive. And even schools with the best of direction, still have to turn a profit to remain viable. I would highly doubt that any learning institution in our current US economy would want to take on a new course of study offering without a means to make it self sustaining. Perhaps I'm wrong??

I sincerely appreciate your input in this regard. Thanks Dick for all you do here!

Bri~

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Count me in...one more SC Boy for the cause!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So do we have a hard date yet?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just returned from Texas, and will have a date very soon.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi guys, just about to start training with optics so if anyone needs a hand visit me at www.fbdo.co.uk
    cheers

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The March issue of Vision Care Product News has an article or an editorial written by Ed DeGannaro that discusses this threads topic.

http://www.totallyoptical.com/ME2/Au...E10DE3DCF0D05B

Thoughts, opinions, jabs?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As we observe the numbers of people wanting FREE study materials and FREE CE's, I can only wonder why we can't advance ourselves. I don't like to jump into subjects that I will be hammered. However, I am jumping into this subject. Things were different years ago. There weren't the formal programs available that we have today, and I, like a lot of people learned through apprenticeship. As has been mentioned, learning through apprenticeship is only as good as those who teach. If the mentor isn't very well versed in opticianry, then we learn that way. Fortunately, there have BEEN some good ones, but unfortunately, there have also been some who were seriously lacking. Today, apprenticeship is NOT the way I would go...there's too much technology out there and just to keep up is almost a full time job. Some of us have worked very hard, trying to make this a better profession, but there are others that just want a free ride. Until we, as a total body of Opticians, want to better ourselves, it won't happen.

I think of people who came before me who worked to make a difference at the level they were at then and thank them. Their names are too numerous to mention right now. If it weren't for the sacrifices that they made, I wouldn't be where I am today. Warren is not threatening folks who have achieved advancement levels from the past. He is wanting to see the future better for all of us... and that will come at a price. Time and monetary investment. I want to make a difference in our future. I am not ready to retire, however, I have been around a long time, and perhaps am coming close to the end of my game.

I look at a lot of you young people today, and see the passion for our profession that we had, and that makes me proud. Then I see others who don't have the passion and it saddens me, tremendously. Hooorah for those with the passion. I applaude you. I will encourage you to embrace the future and invest in it wisely. That means support our profession, and educate yourselves. PAY it forward...

:)
    Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The March issue of Vision Care Product News has an article or an editorial written by Ed DeGannaro that discusses this threads topic.

Fezz, sounds like he's voicing the same concerns we have been here. What amazes me is that Canada has had for years what we're looking to create here in the US, and BC just tossed most of it away. Yay for opticians being able to refract, but the rest of that mess? What are they thinking?

Oh, and thank YOU, Diane, for your leadership, your writing, and for being one of the best speakers I've seen.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Interesting article, I don't know if this is true or not but I have noticed that many articles come from topics that are discussed here, I have also noticed that some articles will have significant ideas taken from others here on this board without proper citation or credit. Just another way in which e cannibalize our own. Quite frankly there are times i have kept my thoughts, opinions, and ideas to myself because I get a feeling that this board has a number of thieves trolling it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Interesting article, I don't know if this is true or not but I have noticed that many articles come from topics that are discussed here, I have also noticed that some articles will have significant ideas taken from others here on this board without proper citation or credit. Just another way in which e cannibalize our own. Quite frankly there are times i have kept my thoughts, opinions, and ideas to myself because I get a feeling that this board has a number of thieves trolling it.

I am glad that I am not the only one with this opinion!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information