Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry Requirements

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Boy...this is such a contentious subject. But why?

If we want more respect we have to earn it. If we want more recognition we have to deserve it.

I am in a license state (and by that I do not mean I have ABO certification and I have a license). I have an AAS in Opticianry. I am an active member in my state association and sit on the board. And I am in FULL FAVOR of strict requirements to enter....in fact, I support more education than I have as a requirement. I have always thought that formal, classroom education should be paired with hands-on, apprentice-style learning...and that everyone who dispenses should have some lab training.

I also am a proponnent of overhauling the CE requirements. It is absolutely absurd that an optician who has been in the field for 5 years can take basics classes (like basic adjusting techniques) and get credit for what they should already know! I believe there should be a tiered system such as a 100 level, 101 level etc.

The ODs have opposed our desire to fit contacts and refract because they argue that we are not properly educated to do so. So, why not get educated and then lobby for those things that we see ourselves doing. The education must come first. I myself would love the chance to furthur my education....bring it on!

And for those who think that we have no control over the licensing boards....um, how do you think we got the license in the first place? We lobbied for it! And those of us here in WA just lobbied to modify our law. And it was signed by the Governor 2 days ago.

I know that many of you have been around for awhile and have heard this over and over but its new for me and where others have failed perhaps some will succeed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    My last post above was an encouragement (I hope) to Tigerlilly to get engaged, adn was not intended to paint you at all.
    I do support licensure, and minimum uniform standards. Coming from the retail sector, I have no hope of seeing that happen. Big bidness, as the dearly departed Molly Ivins used to call it, has such a stranglehold on our state and national legislators, and it goes against their interests to introduce such requirements.

I'm conflicted about entrance requirements. On one hand, I agree that patients would receive a higher standard of care. I cringe at some of the mistakes and bloopers I made in the beginning out of ignorance. On the other hand, I never would have been able to get my foot in the door if the profession weren't open to newcomers. I took it upon myself to learn and grow in order to give the best care I could, and I can see it's a career-long process. I've earned my right to be here, and I know that others have done the same. Closing that door to people like us gets rid of the Mcticians, but it also gets rid of some good folks, too. Taking courses and getting an associate's as a prerequisite isn't possible for everyone, and a truly motivated person with great training and mentorship will be able to learn as they go.

An apprenticeship would be a good compromise. No stringent entrance requirements, but controls on what one is allowed to do, formal education guidlines and benchmark assessments along the way would protect patients and ensure that opticians are truly competent.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=kcount;336292]
    I'll end on the same note I ended it with the ABO. The ABO simply no longer defines what I do as an optician. The courses offered have little to do with my practice and are rudimentary at best. The ABO no-longer defines what an optician is. To change its focus will take a leader with the capacity to see beyond what it is today.[QUOTE]

Sounds like a call for action.

If only there were some orginization that was certifing ophthalmic professionals other than ABO/NCLE.

:bbg:
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    I do support licensure, and minimum uniform standards. Coming from the retail sector, I have no hope of seeing that happen. Big bidness, as the dearly departed Molly Ivins used to call it, has such a stranglehold on our state and national legislators, and it goes against their interests to introduce such requirements.

I'm conflicted about entrance requirements. On one hand, I agree that patients would receive a higher standard of care. I cringe at some of the mistakes and bloopers I made in the beginning out of ignorance. On the other hand, I never would have been able to get my foot in the door if the profession weren't open to newcomers. I took it upon myself to learn and grow in order to give the best care I could, and I can see it's a career-long process. I've earned my right to be here, and I know that others have done the same. Closing that door to people like us gets rid of the Mcticians, but it also gets rid of some good folks, too. Taking courses and getting an associate's as a prerequisite isn't possible for everyone, and a truly motivated person with great training and mentorship will be able to learn as they go.

An apprenticeship would be a good compromise. No stringent entrance requirements, but controls on what one is allowed to do, formal education guidlines and benchmark assessments along the way would protect patients and ensure that opticians are truly competent.
    If we seek to be recognized as a legitimate profession, easy entry is not the way. An associate degree is a minimal requirement, and should not be too difficult for anyone to achieve, especially with online programs now available. I do not mean this personally, but you cannot distinguish those you refer to as "McTishians" from you, can you? What sets you apart. Most folks who go through "apprenticeship" training today, get little to no real training of any sort, and that is why we are in the shape we are in. Most trained in this fashion have no idea what they do not know. I helped to develop an online initiative here in the US with NAIT, and the leaders in Texas (ROATx) all took the program, to show others in their state the importance. They walked the walk, as well as talked the talk. Passing the program was not as easy as they thought, and all indicated they learned so much more than they knew before, and that it was a truly valuable experience. Many here tout "I have 25 years experiences, and I ain't got no danged degree"!. Well, to that I say 25 years of doing something incorrectly does not make it correcct. We can do better, and must if we are to move forward. We only hurt the profession overall by allowing this kind of malarky to continue. you cannot become a Nurse, an OD, a CPA, a Dental Hygeniest, a Radiolgy Tech, a Respitory Tech, or any other health-related profession without some level of education, and they do not really care if you could not enter any other way. We should not either, and must increase our standards if we are to again move forward. We can do better!

Lastly, no one is asking you to go back to school. You have earned your right, if there is a right to provide health care services to the public with no real education or training, but we are looking to the future. Think beyond your own nose for a minute, folks, and if you are objective, you will realize that education is not our enemy, but can take us to places we never thought possible. We can do better!
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 03-14-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am saying Opticians need more education and training, and to expand beyond the traditional scope.

I am also not suggesting anyone who touches a pair of spectacles be "certified".

Like most things here, the thread has gone off in a different direction.

My question to the board......is that good, or should we improve the standards?
    I think we need to have a consensus -The IOA - International Opticians Association meets every year ---- LET'S ALL ATTEND THE NEXT MEETING, and nut it out for real!

October 1 - 3, 2010 - International Optician Association Conference, Ottawa ,Canada

Being in Canada means you Yanks can all simply hop over the border. It will be a slightly longer trip for me, but if possible - I'm going!

We could set an internationally recognised standard - and all organisations could aspire to meet or go beyond that standard of education.

Come on people - let's put action to the pavement.
    Here's more info: http://opticians.ca/CONVENTIONS/index.asp?id=78

See you there - PLEASE NO SNOW for this south pacific replant.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If we seek to be recognized as a legitimate profession, easy entry is not the way. An associate degree is a minimal requirement, and should not be too difficult for anyone to achieve, especially with online programs now available.
    I disagree. You're saying that people like me who come into the profession with no education are not worthy of being here, and that's neither accurate nor fair. The plethora of online "universities" makes it incredibly difficult to determine which institutions are legit and which are fly-by-night. It's irrelevant anyway, as one cannot learn to be an optician from an online class. There's too much practical, hands-on knowledge needed. It's also incorrect that anyone can attend college. My family situation is such that I cannot attend a real school, and I know I'm not the only one with constraints.

I do not mean this personally, but you cannot distinguish those you refer to as "McTishians" from you, can you? What sets you apart.
    Personally or not, that was an incredibly insulting thing to say, as you well know. I can easily distinguish myself from a Mctician, since I'm not a merely frame stylist or a salesperson. I've worked hard ever since my first day to learn and grow professionally in order to best serve the patients. Do you think my employer suggested I hit up Optiboard to better myself? I took the initiative to seek out this (informal) professional organization so I could learn from others and get advice on educating myself beyond what I could learn from my employer or by experience. If formal education were an option for me I would be happy to do it, but I've had to make do with other ways of learning. Improving one's skills and expanding the base of knowledge is a never ending process, but I'm proud of the kind of service and professionalism I am able to give. I have no doubts that what I do is in a totally different category than the kid who was working at the mall last week and is now selling glasses at a "Two pairs of glasses and a free exam for $79!" retailer.

Most folks who go through "apprenticeship" training today, get little to no real training of any sort, and that is why we are in the shape we are in. Most trained in this fashion have no idea what they do not know.
    Again, I disagree. I see opticianry as a skilled trade, and trade apprenticeships are thriving. Electricians, plumbers, pipefitters, welders and many other tradesmen have great programs that turn out competent, well-trained professionals, and there's no reason we couldn't have a successful program, too. "Not knowing what you don't know" is addressed with appropriate evaluation and uniform standards for proceeding to the next level.

you cannot become a Nurse, an OD, a CPA, a Dental Hygeniest, a Radiolgy Tech, a Respitory Tech, or any other health-related profession without some level of education, and they do not really care if you could not enter any other way. We should not either, and must increase our standards if we are to again move forward. We can do better!
    We are not truly healthcare providers. We're in a strange middle ground, and we're not even close to being on a level with nurses or doctors. When the medical assistant responsible for more than half of the medical care you receive at your MD's office or hospital isn't subject to national licensing or certification, it's difficult to sell the idea that opticians need to have formal education and certification/licensing requirements in order to dispense glasses.

Lastly, no one is asking you to go back to school. You have earned your right, if there is a right to provide health care services to the public with no real education or training, but we are looking to the future.
    Condescend much? Hope you don't get a nosebleed or anything from the altitude up there on your high horse.

Look, this is not the hill I choose to die on. We can't even get all states to enforce standards using the certification system we already have, and there's zero chance they'll sign on for a legal mandate that requires formal education. I think it's more productive to differentiate between professional opticians and frame stylists by powering a grassroots campaign to get dispensaries to voluntarily commit to using opticians who have met uniform minimum standards via certification. Once that's taken hold and we're touting the differences in the level of care given, we can expand the focus to improve education and add other options for proving competency.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    I can easily distinguish myself from a Mctician, since I'm not a merely frame stylist or a salesperson. I've worked hard ever since my first day to learn and grow professionally in order to best serve the patients.
    Show me the credentials to prove it!

I happen to be a member of a state licensing board. I ask that question not out of disrespect, but out of curiosity, and to illustrate the point being made by messer's Mcdonald and Ferguson What credentials do you have that would convince me that you are a qualified optician? If you lack an associates degree, you can prove nothing other than you have passed exams certifying that you have the MINIMUM ENTRY LEVEL SKILLS TO PRACTICE OPTICIANRY WITHOUT SUPERVISION. I am talking proof here, not your word that you are excellently qualified. If you ever decide to practice in another jurisdiction, the authority will be looking for the same thing. ( Please note I am not saying that YOU are not qualified, I AM saying you can't prove it)

When wmcdonald tells you not to take something personally, you can take that to the bank. Don't take what he said personally,it wasn't meant personally, you just played into his hand without realizing you had done so. He would never take advantage of that.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    An associate degree is a minimal requirement, and should not be too difficult for anyone to achieve, especially with online programs now available.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations with any?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    Anyone have any experience/recommendations with any?
    Several years ago I presented a degree completion program to the Tennessee Dispensing Opticians Association approved through an accredited state college. Of the 60 credits required for the AAS, 21 were granted for completing the ABO/NCLE. This recognized the knowledge gained in those certifications and the effort involved in an apprenticeship program. The college also accepted all college credit from accredited institutions regardless of age.

To make this program as user friendly as possible, I created programs that provided both college credit and ABO/NCLE approved hours. Each class could have been completed by attending one weekend program. In addition to these, the optician would have been required to complete two English courses and one Math course that could have been taken on-line. The overall cost was minimal and accessible. The state society overwhelmingly rejected this path to a college degree.

A college degree (especially an AAS) is not unattainable for opticians, not too difficult, and not too expensive. I suggest opticians are simply too lazy to embrace the idea.

Roy

Occupation
    Sounds like a wonderful idea, Does the program still exist at the college itself?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Well gee, Roy! Can't have the new optishuns* getting more edumacation than the guys running the show. They might get uppity and decide they want some say in what goes on. The good ol boy network might be challenged. Nope, can't have that. Let's just keep em down and dumb...
    And what's with the math and english classes? Our optishuns* don't need no math class, and really, why bother with communication skills? Can't you tell from reading these boards that our english is tip-top? Hmmm. Healthcare profession indeed.

Seriously though, I support what you and Warren are trying to do. Just illustrating absurdity by being absurd. It just seems to me that those with the power to make these things happen have fiduciary and other interests in making sure it doesn't.

*optishun: uneducated optician. See also; mctician,aka;mctishun
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    Several years ago I presented a degree completion program to the Tennessee Dispensing Opticians Association approved through an accredited state college. Of the 60 credits required for the AAS, 21 were granted for completing the ABO/NCLE. This recognized the knowledge gained in those certifications and the effort involved in an apprenticeship program. The college also accepted all college credit from accredited institutions regardless of age.

To make this program as user friendly as possible, I created programs that provided both college credit and ABO/NCLE approved hours. Each class could have been completed by attending one weekend program. In addition to these, the optician would have been required to complete two English courses and one Math course that could have been taken on-line. The overall cost was minimal and accessible. The state society overwhelmingly rejected this path to a college degree.

A college degree (especially an AAS) is not unattainable for opticians, not too difficult, and not too expensive. I suggest opticians are simply too lazy to embrace the idea.

Roy
    This concept would actually get support in IL. The biggest hurdle has been OD's wanting an education component. May I ask if you still have the program outlines?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tigerlily has made a significant point. She has taken my comments personally, and that is not what was intended, but she is correct, I feel there is no room in the future for folks like her if we are move forward in any way. She does not believe we are a profession, but a trade, as she stated, and there is where we will agree to disagree. As I mentioned, I look to the future and what we may become.

As to schools: there are many online institutions available. I represent a fine Canadian institution, The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, that is online and utilizes proctors in the local arrea to handle the hands-on clinical component in a very well designed system, as was mentioned above. If you cannot tell if an institution is legitimate or not, ask. There are many experts to assist you. The National Federation of Opticianry Schools has several very good institutions that have online programs. J. Sargent Reynolds offers an outstanding program online. Hillsborough Community College. Durhm Technical Community College, and probably a few others, but you have to seek it out. It will not come to you.

Lastly, I (again) do not suggest that anyone have to go back to school to learn anything. Heaven forbid! What I want to see is that the requirements increase in the future. That is all I am saying, and we can do better.......if we choose!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    An associate degree is a minimal requirement, and should not be too difficult for anyone to achieve, especially with online programs now available.
    FYI and FWIW, it took me 21 years to get my Associates degree, not in Opticianry, but in Liberal Arts. I completed my freshman year while I was still young and single, and lacked discipline and ambition. I finally decided to get that piece of paper after I was married with children. I couldn't afford to go back to school full-time, nor did I feel it fair to shirk all of my parental responsibilities, so I took one or two classes each semester, either in-class or online. Had I been driven to do so right out of high school, still living with mom and dad, no bills or cares, sure, an associates degree wouldn't have been too difficult. But for you to say it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone is a little short-sighted.

I say 25 years of doing something incorrectly does not make it correcct.
    Lastly, no one is asking you to go back to school. You have earned your right, if there is a right to provide health care services to the public with no real education or training
    You may not be asking anyone to go back to school, but you sure do make it clear what you will continue to think of those who haven't completed your idea of a proper education. Are you saying that someone with 25 years of hands-on experience in Opticianry is not as qualified as a fresh graduate from a 2-yr Opticianry program? That a 25-yr veteran of this profession is not worthy of your respect, simply because they didn't start out by getting a degree?

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Show me the credentials to prove it! I happen to be a member of a state licensing board. I ask that question not out of disrespect, but out of curiosity, and to illustrate the point being made by messer's Mcdonald and Ferguson. What credentials do you have that would convince me that you are a qualified optician? If you lack an associates degree, you can prove nothing other than you have passed exams certifying that you have the MINIMUM ENTRY LEVEL SKILLS TO PRACTICE OPTICIANRY WITHOUT SUPERVISION. I am talking proof here, not your word that you are excellently qualified. If you ever decide to practice in another jurisdiction, the authority will be looking for the same thing. (Please note I am not saying that YOU are not qualified, I AM saying you can't prove it).
    And if I lack an associates degree, and come from a state that does not require licensure, but have passed exams certifying that I have the MINIMUM ENTRY LEVEL SKILLS TO PRACTICE OPTICINARY WITHOUT SUPERVISION, and then I pass your state's practical exam and am granted licensure, would I then be considered qualified? Even if I had no degree? Or had never completed an apprenticeship?

When wmcdonald tells you not to take something personally, you can take that to the bank. Don't take what he said personally,it wasn't meant personally, you just played into his hand without realizing you had done so. He would never take advantage of that.
    Like tigerlilly, I have been insulted by wmcdonald before also. Maybe it was unintentional. I'm starting to see a trend though. I understand that he is passionate about this subject, but to degrade the position and success of someone who strives to do their best, who tries to set themself apart from others by seeking knowledge and by being professional in action, I think wmcdonald, whether he realizes it or not, is coming across as extremely arrogant, disrespectful and hurtful.
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Finney View Post
    Like tigerlilly, I have been insulted by wmcdonald before also. Maybe it was unintentional. I'm starting to see a trend though. I understand that he is passionate about this subject, but to degrade the position and success of someone who strives to do their best, who tries to set themself apart from others by seeking knowledge and by being professional in action, I think wmcdonald, whether he realizes it or not, is coming across as extremely arrogant, disrespectful and hurtful.
    Anyone who has met Dr. McDonald would not believe such a thing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you do not see the value of an education requirement for the future of this profession, I cannot help you. I am not talking about you personally, but if you are insulted by my posts then so be it. Try to do ANYTHING else in health care without a degree of some sort, and you will see it is impossible. If a two-year degree is excessive, we are clearly doomed to continue this downward spiral until we are completely absorbed into Optometry completely. We can do better, but we have to have people that realize education is our key to the future. You see, it is not all about either of us, but what is best for future Opticians.

And by the way, you would not be allowed to sit for NC boards without evidence a degree in Opticianry, or a lengthy (3.5 year apprenticeship) and a 6 months dispensing internship that is equivalent to ours. It covers the full spectrum of Opticianry, to include contact lenses.

I wish you well in your future, but for the profession, folks like you are not what is needed.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Will we see a universal requirement for opticianry education anytime soon? Of course not. Less than half of the states are licensed at this point, and even fewer have specific educational requirements. Without licensure, only the market can compel opticians to seek education, and the market has never headed in that direction.

But I don't think that "raising the bar" for opticianry education standards is really that difficult at all. After all, the very organization that sets the standards for minimum competency, the American Board of Opticianry, is managed primarily by opticians. The board of directors comprises representatives from the Opticians Association of America, National Academy of Opticianry, National Federation of Opticianry Schools, and so on.

Since the ABO's National Opticianry Competency Examination is the de facto standard of minimum competency in most states and even the de jure standard mandated by law in many licensed states, effecting a change at the ABO by increasing the level of difficulty of the exam will drive the minimum education requirements needed to pass the test. If the exam becomes sufficiently challenging, it will compel opticians to attain more formal education by necessity.

Of course, since opticianry representatives with the ABO have already created a test with a level of difficulty meant to demonstrate "minimum competence," which most individuals pass without formal opticianry education, the various opticianry organizations that guide the ABO may need to redefine these minimum standards and core competencies. Is the current test really written to ensure minimum competence or only to ensure a certain pass/fail rate?

While opticianry education threads like this continue to spark interesting debate and discussion, we will never see any real progress until the merits of higher education requirements are successfully argued to our national organizations. Opticians have always been, and will continue to be, responsible for our own destiny, in my opinion.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Darryl, and that was the focus of the entire thread, if you read the very first post. Our destiny is in our hands. We probably will not see an education requirement in the short term, but I continue to hope that one day, it can be possible. Our future depends on it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you do not see the value of an education requirement for the future of this profession, I cannot help you.
    It isn't that I don't see the value of an education requirement. Believe me, practicing in Oklahoma, I see the need every day! What I was trying to point out is that your assertion that an associates degrees is easily obtained is not correct; I have recent experience in that endeavor and can tell you, it's not that easy.

If a two-year degree is excessive, we are clearly doomed to continue this downward spiral until we are completely absorbed into Optometry completely.
    I do not think it is excessive, however, and I realize this isn't part of the original discussion, there would need to be some type of grandfather clause to allow those without the new requirement to continue working in their chosen profession. Maybe the ability to "test out" of the new "requirements", if they've learned the equivalent through experience.

And by the way, you would not be allowed to sit for NC boards without evidence a degree in Opticianry, or a lengthy (3.5 year apprenticeship) and a 6 months dispensing internship that is equivalent to ours. It covers the full spectrum of Opticianry, to include contact lenses.
    I guess NC is ahead of the curve with regards to your proposal. Good thing I'm not planning a move to NC. I'm curious though, how long has NC had the current requirements? What were the requirements previously? What happened when the requirements changed? Was there a sudden shortage of "qualified" opticians?

I wish you well in your future, but for the profession, folks like you are not what is needed.
    Once again, you have hurled a tremendous insult! How can you pretend to know me? Or have a clue as to what I may or may not know? Or what I may be capable of? Or whether or not I am good for the profession? That is unbelievably elitist of you! I've worked my butt off to learn everything I can, to be the best that I can be, in a profession in a state where neither the state nor the employers reward me for my efforts. For you to say "I wish you well in your future, but for the profession, folks like you are not what is needed" is a slap in the face of every person who hasn't taken your "appropriate" path to "qualification".

I would like to apologize to everyone if I have steered this thread off topic; that was not my intention. However, I will not sit back and be belittled. I do not claim to be a great optician. If I did, I wouldn't be here trying to learn all that I can. But I do feel that I am, as all of us are, entitled to a certain amount of respect, regardless of our level of knowledge, training, or competence.

Bryan
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In 1992 I had the honor to be associated with an effort to adopt minimum education standards for opticians. The following resolution can be found at OAA.org.

Current Resolutions of Opticians of America

3-12 Formal Education for Opticians

Whereas, the education of opticians is of primary importance to the opticians Association of America, and
    Whereas, the practice of opticianry does not currently require a formal education, and
    Whereas, the future of opticianry lies in the legitimizing of our profession as an integral part of the eyecare delivery system, and
    Whereas, this legitimacy can only be expected if we regulate and standardize our industry, and
    Whereas, the creation of a national standardized formal educational program would be a benefit in creating this legitimacy, therefore be it
    RESOLVED that OAA establish a committee to develop a plan to implement a formal education standard, to be promoted at the national level as the minimum standard by which an individual may be deemed an “Optician,” and to report their recommendations at the 1993 OAA Annual Meeting, and it be further
    RESOLVED that the committee composition be equal number of representatives from the Opticians Association of America, National Academy of Opticianry, and National Federation of Opticianry Schools, and be it further
    RESOLVED that this plan should incorporate a series of general education and optically related subjects, which classes may also transfer to an Associate in Applied Sciences program, and be it further
    RESOLVED that there be an experiential credit considered for dispensers currently employed in the optical field, such credit to be granted on a minimum length of internship, successful completion of the American Board of Opticianry examination and successful completion of the National Contact Lens Examiners examination.

Adopted June 1992
    Last edited by Roy R. Ferguson; 03-16-2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: typo

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I was waiting for the shoe to drop......

Dear Roy,

That was in 1992......what has happened to that resolution? I know the answer may get into the past history of OAA and I don't wan't to paint it [OAA] in bad light but I think the question begs an answer.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A little perspective here guys. The minimal studying necessary to pass the NOCE and CLRE are not comparable to the difficulty of taking college courses. It is much more difficult to get an associates degree than it is to enter opticianry through more traditional means. With that said, an associates degree IS relatively easy to attain in comparison to the entry requirements of other healthcare professions. MD, OD, BSN, etc... Think about it. You are being addressed by PhD's who know the difference.
    The average optician is compensated well for what they have, which on average is this:
    A high school diploma
    A couple of very easy to pass certifications
    A few years of on the job training
    High school is a joke. The basic certifications are just that: BASIC. You shouldn't even begin to sell or fit glasses until you pass the NOCE. You shouldn't begin fitting contacts to human eyes until you pass the CLRE, and then only under supervision until competent. Passing these exams should be entry level into the field, not the final goal as seems to be. Keep in mind we're talking minimal competence here. On the job training is great, but you're only going to learn what those above you can teach you. The rest you figure out for yourself. Is this how you think healthcare professionals SHOULD BE TRAINED IN THE FUTURE?
    A hs education was all my dad had. He wanted more for me. I don't look down my nose at him for not being degreed. He did what he could. What these guys are saying is that we should hope for more from those who follow us. For their sake and the sake of the profession.
    it seems to me that too many are taking personal offense to the suggestion that we can be more. If you want more than you had for your kids, then perhaps you can understand the good DRs' perspective.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Open that Can O' Worms!!!!!

Dear Roy,

That was in 1992......what has happened to that resolution? I know the answer may get into the past history of OAA and I don't wan't to paint it [OAA] in bad light but I think the question begs an answer.

OH BOY!!!

This is going to be good!

Where is that popcorn eating emiticon thingy???

:cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Again, you are insulted. Sorry to hurt your feelings, but let me say again......believe it or not......this has nothing to do with you. Folks like you are here, and make up the majority, but that must change for Opticianry to reach any positive change. What we need is to stiffen requirements. That would not eliminate you, and you obviously feel threatened by the discussion, but as stated clearly, it is about the future Optician. We cannot afford to have poorly (or those with no training at all) calling themselves Opticians in the future. If we do not improve, we wil never reach our potential. I am done with this insane debate about the value of education.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    3-13 Education Standard Adoption

Whereas, the members of the Opticians Association of America (OAA) resolved to create a committee to investigate a formal education standard and report its recommendation at the 1993 annual meeting, and
    Whereas, the committee has presented such recommendations and curriculum and determined them to be in the best interests of Opticianry as a whole, now therefore be it
    RESOLVED that OAA adopt the recommendations of the appointed formal education committee with the final outcome being the present minimum standard bt which an individual may be deemed an Optician or use the term optician in the job title or description, and be it further
    RESOLVED that OAA encourage and support the adoption of these standards by each state in a timely fashion.

Adopted: June 1993

The minimum education standard was adopted in 1993. As far as I know the Tennessee Dispensing Opticians Association was the only group to oppose the resolution.

As you can see by the wording, the implementation was left to the states. That is where the disconnect occurred. To date, no state has used this national resolution as support for adopting the standard.

Warren continues to make a point that seems to be ignored. If the scope of practice for opticianry is to ever expand past PD’s and seg height, it must be through education. He is discussing the field of opticianry. The objections I have read thus far involve the personal fears of opticians regarding their individual status. Warren is suggesting that opticianry build a boat to lift all while a few folks cling like heck to the anchor for fear they might float up with everyone else.

Finally, for those who think that Warren and I lived with our parents while earning our PhD’s, let me assure you that was not the case. I taught full time in a college opticianry program and managed my retail optical dispensary while working on a MA and PHD. Education is available if one is willing to pursue it.

Roy

Thread Information